Joe Hart - Signed for Spurs

Charlie George

6 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Hart could probably be about 10% as good as he was at his peak and he will still be better than Hamer or Roos. 

I don’t even think goalie is a huge problem position but Hart would still be a massive upgrade. You don’t get ‘great’ all round keepers at this level unless you get lucky like Sheff United did with Henderson. The best at the minute is David Raya and he is even more of a fanny when it comes to crosses than either of our two.

Anyway, I can’t see us dropping the sort of wages it would take to get him in. I reckon we are in a huge mess financially. If we can sell one of the golden boys with a loan back, we might be okay.

In a mess financially is a bit simplistic. We are in a mess regarding the financial regulations applicable to our league and we are losing money; but, because of Mel, we are a debt free, well maintained, well organised club. Mel isn’t a bottomless pit and but for the difficulties with the EFL might well have had some sound backing organised. 

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Sparkle said:

If we can afford him then definitely sign him ( if we are going to play football again) 

we signed Shilton who was much older I think 

he can catch a cross and save shots and has rather a lot of experience of winning and we would win the league with him in goal 

i would assume Huddlestone will be leaving so his wages would easily be covered for Hart if we chose this route 

a big yes for me ( if we play football) 

I was surprised just HOW old.......Shilts was just about 38 when we signed him in 1987 and was 40 going on 41 when he played for England at Italia 90.

So i suspect for the right kind of goalie, age would not be an issue.

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I was surprised just HOW old.......Shilts was just about 38 when we signed him in 1987 and was 40 going on 41 when he played for England at Italia 90.

So i suspect for the right kind of goalie, age would not be an issue.

Friedel and Jääskeläinen were both over 40 when they retired, Buffon is 42 and still going strong. All of the were/are super professional, which obviously is going to expand the playing career. 

I don't have a clue about Hart's professionalism levels, but at the age of 33 he should be about in his peak or closing to it. I think we can all agree that's not the case with him. If I'd know that he is very determined to improve and play, I'd sign him. Slightest hint of that not being the case, I'd stay well clear as the business with damaged goods can be costly.

Interesting link anyway, even it's only Sun.

IF this has any truth then I'm interested.  His stock has dropped.  We all know that. Yeah Pep wanted rid, but IMO he was looking at it from a "world class" perspective.  It's relative. He has a mistake in him, something else we probably all know, but all keepers do, so if the money's right, and he's desperate to play then I'd want him.  He can catch a ball (more than Roos or Hamer anyway), he's a great shot stopper. Pretty good ball distribution (certainly at our level), and importantly he commands and marshalls the defence.  Worth a punt me thinks.

18 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Not sure how we would front the wages for this one, unless he is willing to take a massive pay cut.

Well in July he is on Zero money and has no club to play for - so Derby county with large crowds (when allowed) and a regular spot in a team in a nice ground with decent players and a decent wage sounds attractive to me

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Well in July he is on Zero money and has no club to play for - so Derby county with large crowds (when allowed) and a regular spot in a team in a nice ground with decent players and a decent wage sounds attractive to me

Agreed. Hart’s stock is low right now. Despite everything in his career to date, he is Burnley’s 2nd choice keeper, and has been 3rd choice on occasions. Footballers across the world will have to take a severe cut if they are out of contract. I imagine he’d want first team football which we could offer. He’s tried abroad already, Rooney is his mate. It could happen. Wages would be crucial. Would be a great signing though! 

Gonna poke the bear here but..

Signing ex England star (on presumably big wages) while you've furloughed non playing staff and not bothering to pay the extra 20%, all the while being investigated by the EFL for recording excessive losses?

Nobody here perplexed by that decision?

Sure we at NFFC will also be lining up transfers, but if you've take a massive paycut and then you see Hat come in for 30/40 grand per week? How would they feel about that.

30 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

Signing ex England star (on presumably big wages) while you've furloughed non playing staff and not bothering to pay the extra 20%, all the while being investigated by the EFL for recording excessive losses?

Sure we at NFFC will also be lining up transfers, but if you've take a massive paycut and then you see Hat come in for 30/40 grand per week? How would they feel about that.

You're dead right, but unfortunately football lost all decency and morals years ago.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

I'd imagine he'd like to go somewhere where is is No.1 too. 

1 hour ago, Red_Dawn said:

I agree with your point, but I've yet to see anything official to say we have furloughed staff.

Whilst we may not be paying the 20% but this was also said at the time;

On Wednesday, however, Derby are expected to announce a major initiative to support the local community and the staff, backed by manager Phillip Cocu and first-team players.

The EFL charge is just wrong, they signed the accounts off, even asked us to make an adjustment on the price of the stadium, then have now turned round and said we are in the wrong? Also complaining how we amortize our players after doing it for years. Not sure how any of it will hold up.

Even putting all of that aside, the fact that out wages account for 135% of our turnover means that we'd be mental to lavish those kind of wages on a single player.  Is he far better than the keepers we already have?  Yes.  Is it worth blowing the majority of a wage budget on the wages he'd demand?  I'd say no. Yes we'll be getting rid of a few big earners over the summer, but you've got replace them, with decent replacements, not splurge it all on a keeper.  Makes more sense giving Carson a one year extension if you want a reliable ex England keeper. 

This kind of link once again smacks of the how piss poor our scouting is at the moment.   

On 19/04/2020 at 18:09, rammieib said:

Rooney went from Man Utd to Everton to the MLS. He’s turning out OK.

Not remotely the same. Rooney has delivered at every club he's played for. 

Hart has failed at his last 3 clubs. 

He has had 3 chances to turn around his career after being dropped at Man C. Its beyond me that anyone could think he would turn it around with a 4th chance when there is no evidence to back it up. 

16 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Not remotely the same. Rooney has delivered at every club he's played for. 

Hart has failed at his last 3 clubs. 

He has had 3 chances to turn around his career after being dropped at Man C. Its beyond me that anyone could think he would turn it around with a 4th chance when there is no evidence to back it up. 

Loans when you're already out of form are difficult to turn around, especially one in a country you've never played in prior like Italy. Then at Burnley, he never really got a solid run of games and was seen as a stopgap; not the easiest of circumstances for him.

Bear in mind, he'd be stepping down a division to play here as well so the standard would be easier, he'd likely have a good mentality as it'd be a fresh start and a chance to turn his career back around. On a free transfer (assuming he's take a wage cut, or we could wangle another 'star clause'), I think it's a small gamble with potentially big reward? 

4 hours ago, Red_Dawn said:

Just to add to my previous post

Archived