World cup 1990

lagavulinram

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark Wright came in and made a big difference and Shilts was the best goalkeeper in the world cup including the qualifiers where if it were not for him we would not have qualified especially when notts forist player des walker left him short with a back pass which would have knocked England out of that world cup, but it was the other notts forist player stupid pearce who made a typical challenge on the edge of the box which gave away yet another free kick which the Germans scored from and ultimately along with his pathetic penalty kick that cost England the chance of a world cup final.

Have enjoyed looking back at these old world cup games.

29 minutes ago, hiltonram said:

Mark Wright came in and made a big difference and Shilts was the best goalkeeper in the world cup including the qualifiers where if it were not for him we would not have qualified especially when notts forist player des walker left him short with a back pass which would have knocked England out of that world cup, but it was the other notts forist player stupid pearce who made a typical challenge on the edge of the box which gave away yet another free kick which the Germans scored from and ultimately along with his pathetic penalty kick that cost England the chance of a world cup final.

Have enjoyed looking back at these old world cup games.

Going to have to disagree with the Shilts point.

Passed his prime by then.

Should hav done better with the Gernany goal and didn't get close to their penalties. We should have brought Beasant on just before the end of extra time.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

best world cup in my lifetime 

My favourite was the first I experienced... 1978, as a 15 year old... and we weren't even in it (I'm English)!

Archie's wonder goal was a joy to behold, but overall, the atmosphere at virtually every game was right up my street*, as an impressionable teenager who was just starting out following The Rams away, and very much wanting some of that terrace action!

Kick Offs at 9pm, 11pm, and 1am UK time were no hurdle for this teen, at home alone for the very first time, as parents bogged off on holiday!  ?

*They didn't half waste some precious bog rolls, though!  ?  

1974 was the first WC I remember. Partly cos the games were on peak times as it was held in Germany, partly because our very first colour TV was delivered in time for the final.

Blooming dreary tournament though.

Argentina was much more exotic as a location but seem to remember that it was controversial because of match fixing allegations and a dodgy regime. 

My favourite so far was the USA .massive crowds at every match, really good atmosphere and a few giant killings along the way. Oh, and Maradona busted for drugs.?

Sith Happens
10 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

My favourite was the first I experienced... 1978, as a 15 year old... and we weren't even in it (I'm English)!

Archie's wonder goal was a joy to behold, but overall, the atmosphere at virtually every game was right up my street*, as an impressionable teenager who was just starting out following The Rams away, and very much wanting some of that terrace action!

Kick Offs at 9pm, 11pm, and 1am UK time were no hurdle for this teen, at home alone for the very first time, as parents bogged off on holiday!  ?

I only have a vague memory of that one, the first i really got into was 86, but 90, i guess it was my first one i could enjoy in the pubs and enjoy the atmosphere. Nessun dorma, gazza crying and all that. Even the world in motion was a half decent footie song.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 15:28, G STAR RAM said:

Should hav done better with the Gernany goal and didn't get close to their penalties. We should have brought Beasant on just before the end of extra time.

yeah, apart from Beasant wasn't a sub for that game.... but I agree Shilts was past his best by then.

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 20:28, G STAR RAM said:

My granddad and uncle and a forest fan called Darren -just remembered him, put in the seats in the Ossie end that summer.  As a student with nowt to do ,I could go down and visit with no restriction .  Got to know Roy Mac and Gordon Guthrie well that summer .  Roy Mac used to sit with us at lunchtime .  Very nice bloke.  Shilton was often  doing extra practise with McMinn who was on the comeback trail still and needed extra fitness.  I used to be his ball boy as his back was knackered and he couldn't keep bending over to get the ball if it went behind.

So yes, he was past his prime and no surprise he didn't get near any of those penos . Bit moody as well, might have been the back issues.

33 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

yeah, apart from Beasant wasn't a sub for that game.... but I agree Shilts was past his best by then.

Was it Chris Woods?

Absolutely any goalkeeper would have been better on penalties than Shilts by that stage.

Think every German penalty had hit the back of the net by time he moved.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Was it Chris Woods?

Absolutely any goalkeeper would have been better on penalties than Shilts by that stage.

Think every German penalty had hit the back of the net by time he moved.

Yeah It would have been Woods, Beasent was third choice and It was before the times when you had 700 subs allowed on the bench...!

There is a brilliant interview with Beasant about It on “quickly Kevin will he score” podcast where after the game Gazza broke the silence by just saying “f me Shilts you ever going to save a penalty” and everyone cracks up...and all shilton said was “I went The right way every time” .... 

On 30/04/2020 at 17:02, MuespachRam said:

Penalty saving sensation Dave Beasant was definitely available as sub that game. I remember it like it was yesterday. Google will back me up - give me 5.

On 19/04/2020 at 21:16, Mucker1884 said:

The Scots even set Archie's goal to music and used it as dance steps.

If they did that for every world cup goal they've ever scored they might release an EP(remember them?)

Enjoyed 82 more than 90. I actually had to leave the room when England went 2-1 down v Cameroon in 90....could not stand it! The semi final was the only time I cried with emotion after a football match!

17 hours ago, Pastinaak said:

Penalty saving sensation Dave Beasant was definitely available as sub that game. I remember it like it was yesterday. Google will back me up - give me 5.

Ok...you have had 17 hours....google not working...? Or...the alternative is that I was right..? 

8 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Ok...you have had 17 hours....google not working...? Or...the alternative is that I was right..? 

Google reckons it was Chris Woods on the bench but i actually watched the game and google wasn't even invented then so...

Archived