Bradley Johnson

Sean

I know he was controversial for some reasons outside his control but was severely underrated as a footballer here, when he was at Derby, and seems to be doing a brilliant job off the pitch at the moment, have a listen to the below;

Our old Brad is a top lad!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think even those that didn't rate him would struggle to find reasons to dislike him. Been to a few of our games since he's left too hasn't he? 

I have actually always thought Blackstock seemed sound. I was sat opposite him in a pub once and I think I was the only person in there that knew who he was! I think most assumed he was some chav. There was a documentary on QPR wasn't there and poor Dexter was getting shafted on a contract? Was to timid to say owt though if I remember right? Anyway, he's another fella that's always seemed alright. Playing for Forest almost makes him a knobber for life but he's redeemed himself here. 

Glad to see footballers getting some positive light on them.

Sith Happens

top man, good player too, would have been good to have around this season,  wonder if the appalling treatment he received from large portions of our fan base influenced his decision to go.

6 hours ago, Paul71 said:

top man, good player too, would have been good to have around this season,  wonder if the appalling treatment he received from large portions of our fan base influenced his decision to go.

I thought he wanted to stay? 

Might be making that up. Just thought I saw something somewhere.

Sith Happens
33 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I thought he wanted to stay? 

Might be making that up. Just thought I saw something somewhere.

I thought we offered something but he went,  dunno you might be right.  

13 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Ah right. Wouldn't blame him. Things can be pretty poisonous here when we think we have it bad (but don't really). 

40 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Ah right. Wouldn't blame him. Things can be pretty poisonous here when we think we have it bad (but don't really). 

Said in the Blackburn match thread that his reception was the best he had from us for a few years.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/20/dexter-blackstock-supplying-ppe-former-striker-equipment-to-frontline-staff-coronavirus

Good article in the Guardian; BJ still lives in Derby and gets a few mentions. Good man Bradley! 

I’ll never forget where I’ve come from,” Johnson says. “My mum and dad didn’t struggle, but we had a tough upbringing. I come from a working-class family so I know how hard it is for some of these families. I’ll always remember that. The negative press, it’s sad we don’t get credit for the good stuff we do. Everyone’s quick to jump on the negative. That’s life. Me and Dex want to help.”

Used correctly, in the right set up, he was a good player for us.  Not his fault Clement & Sam Rush decided to spunk so much on his fee and wages, then mis-manage him.  But like @Alpha said, even if you don't rate him as a player, you can't not rate him as a man.  Humble lad, and does a hell of a lot for charity.

19 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I think we just wanted rid of his wages more than we wanted rid of him as a player, but the FFP situation made him being off loaded inevitable. Think the contract we gave him before he went to Blackburn was only really to get his leaving into s different accounting period.

I had a lot of time for him, I always thought he had more of a football brain than a lot of players who had more ball skill. Always had heart. Just wish wasall hadn't played him in the play off v hull when he was clearly not fit and contributed to Hulls first two goals (a deflection and an underhit pass iirc)

Nice bloke and certainly not one I'd criticise off the pitch, but no, he was not 'severely underrated'

He made 140 appearances for us and played well in (maybe) 45-50 of them, he cost us numerous goals with a lack of tracking his man at set pieces (similar to Hendrick in that regard), lost the ball when in posession countless times through overestimating his ability and a lack of awareness of people closing him down,, and failed to provide adequate defensive cover because his reading of the game was too slow.

Not all of his poor performances were his own fault though, and he has and never will be found lacking in attitude or application, as the PE teachers of old may have put it,

Archived