Norman Hunter

Zurich Ram

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIP Norman.

You and Jack Charlton were at the heart of the defence of an iconic Leeds team I can still name after all these years. Amazing battles against the Rams.

The atmosphere when you and Frannie started fighting again when walking off the pitch was one of the most memorable I ever witnessed at the Baseball Ground, it was electric.

So yes we loved to hate but thanks for the memories and my thoughts are with his friends and family.

Sad news. Despite the low opinion many of us had of him, he was the type of player who you would want on your side. The punch up with Franny Lee is legend, but the best story for me was his revelation that he watched the World Cup final with Nobby Stiles denture in his pocket, for safe keeping,  ready to give it to him for the post match celebrations. Classic.

RIP.

3 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Sad news. Despite the low opinion many of us had of him, he was the type of player who you would want on your side. The punch up with Franny Lee is legend, but the best story for me was his revelation that he watched the World Cup final with Nobby Stiles denture in his pocket, for safe keeping,  ready to give it to him for the post match celebrations. Classic.

RIP.

There was a picture in the guardian the other day (for the death of Peter Bonnetti, who was also there that day) of England's non-playing squad members watching that final squatting, sitting on the ground etc. Imagine today's pampered players putting up with that.

Although he represented everything we as Derby fans hated about that Leeds team, he was what every fan wants in their team. Very easy to hate as an opposition player, but adored by his own fans. I'm sure years after the incident Fanny Lee said that he was good friends with Norman. RIP, very sad that he should be taken by this terrible disease.

So, my get well soon message didn't get through to him last week then!

It matters not that he was a dirty git.  It matters not that he was a Leeds legend.  It matters not that Franny absolutely pummelled the air immediately in front of his face, and it matters not that those same air shots sent the dirty cheating git to his ar5e.

He was a legend throughout football, not just Leeds, and one we would have all loved to have on our side.

Respect will always overcome, in the end.

Rest in Peace, Mr Hunter.
xxx

42 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Although he represented everything we as Derby fans hated about that Leeds team, he was what every fan wants in their team. Very easy to hate as an opposition player, but adored by his own fans. I'm sure years after the incident Fanny Lee said that he was good friends with Norman. RIP, very sad that he should be taken by this terrible disease.

How right you are. 

Archived