Colonel (was Captain) Tom Moore

David

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, richinspain said:

Is there a more beautiful, spine tingling sound than a Rolls Royce Merlin engine?

As an aside, on Sunday afternoon a couple of years ago, I heard a low rumble as I was watching TV, so I looked out of the window to see what it was.

There, seemingly brushing the rooftops of the houses in our street were the Lancaster, Spitfire and hurricane of the Battle of Britain fly past thundering their way to the Southport Airshow. More spine-tingling than a Merlin? 6 of them. ?

It might be just be me but is the country going a little bit overboard with this now. I know it's a good news story in a time where there isn't many about but it seems never ending.

The village where my inlaws live all counted to 100 together last night to celebrate his birthday. Maybe that's a beautiful thing the community did together, but if feels a bit cringe.  He clearly didn't do it for the adoration.

You also know that loads of journos are currently trying to find dirt on him, and if they do, the backlash will be horrible.

6 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

It might be just be me but is the country going a little bit overboard with this now. I know it's a good news story in a time where there isn't many about but it seems never ending.

The village where my inlaws live all counted to 100 together last night to celebrate his birthday. Maybe that's a beautiful thing the community did together, but if feels a bit cringe.  He clearly didn't do it for the adoration.

You also know that loads of journos are currently trying to find dirt on him, and if they do, the backlash will be horrible.

I don't have a problem with it. War hero does good deed, press for once support a good thing rather than take pot-shots at it. Everyone gets a feel-good story. Won't hear a bad word said - if aspects of it seem a bit schmaltzy then just ignore those bits. 

11 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I don't have a problem with it. War hero does good deed, press for once support a good thing rather than take pot-shots at it. Everyone gets a feel-good story. Won't hear a bad word said - if aspects of it seem a bit schmaltzy then just ignore those bits. 

Yup, there is enough doom and gloom going around. 

NHS dance videos are cringy imo, some 100yo guy thats raised £32m (and rising) for charity now deserves all the credit he's getting.

• 3 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

If he can still get an erection I will throw another tenner into the fund.

Bit of a tangent but I did a summer holiday's graft as a gofer with a scaffolding firm owned by my mate's dad. There ad line, I poo you not, was... 

'Hudson Scaffolding Ltd - Quick Erections Guaranteed' ?

• 8 months later...

Fingers crossed for him.  

"The 100-year-old, who raised more than £33m for the NHS, was taken to Bedford Hospital after requiring help with his breathing, Hannah Ingram-Moore said on Twitter.

She said he had been treated for pneumonia over the past few weeks and last week tested positive for Covid-19.

Mrs Ingram-Moore said her father was not in intensive care.

In Mrs Ingram-Moore's tweet, she said her father had been at home with the family until Sunday when he "needed additional help with breathing."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-55881508

I think the man lived a proper, wholesome, respectful and respectable fulfilling life. 

I always feel a bitter sweet feeling about this. I wonder how many years of his life he wasn’t treated with dignity and respect by those who didn’t know him. Then he’s (quite rightly) a national treasure and a hero, but should’ve been considered as such many years earlier! 

Rest in Peace

Archived