Stoke fan here in peace...

ORFYDUCKMAG

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work with lots of Stokies, and I refer to them as a poor Mans scouser, I used to bait them every year when they were in the Premiership, That this would be there last year in it, Then one Day a comment was made that We are an established Premiership side, This really got My back up so I said I would buy a cake for All the Lads on the shop floor if they did get relegated, cost Me £60 of birds cakes but well worth it,

1.   Unlike the intense rivalry with the gumps and the hatred of leeds.  I see Stoke like any other club we play,  I'd be unhappy if we lose against them but don't feel the same pain and disappointment when losing to the gumps and leeds.

2.   Stoke had some good players over the years but none I would have swapped for a player in the Derby side at the time we played against them.

3.   Only remember the Q/F game due the last minute penalty. Other than that, no memorable game comes to mind.

4.   Other than when Stoke are playing well and the fans sing a rousing rendition of Delilah. I find their support no better or worse than that of most clubs of their size and stature.

5.    Went to the old Victoria Ground a couple of times back in the early seventies. Found the ground as memorable as I did the games.

As for the new stadium, looks ok when driving passed on the A50, when you get inside, it just looks a bit unfinished, if it was done on the cheap. Even where the teams come out looks like an after thought as if they'd forgot to build any changing rooms when building the stands.

The only good thing I can say about Stoke's new ground, is that it only takes me slightly longer to travel there than it does to get to Pride Park.

On 10/04/2020 at 15:24, ORFYDUCKMAG said:

1. Generally how do you see Stoke City the club – a rival? Non-entity? Certain type of club? Disdain? Admiration? Pity?! As a fixture – is it of general appeal? 

Proper football club. Local. Able to punch above its weight once in a while and do themselves proud, but not a contender. In a bracket with Coventry or Norwich as a club in my eyes, not in terms of success, but the way I see you. Love to see them beat the metropolitan clubs. That said, I was quite chirpy at the thought of you being relegated, based on the wage bill. Would have been a laugh. Although the perfect managerial appointment you made sorted that out.

2. Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years?  

No. We missed your Prem years, obviously, and they weren't a team that made me make a point of watching, shall we say. Earlier sides I'm struggling to recall at all.

3. Are there matches between your team and Stoke you recall hating/ loving? 

Just when Rowett was manager, but that was all about Rowett.

4. In home / away matches, what have you made of the Stoke support? Any particular memories? 

Bog standard

5. The Victoria Ground/ The New One – what did/ do you make our of our home ground(s)’ the grounds? Any particular experiences or impressions? 

Victoria Ground/New one....it's like The Baseball Ground/PPS, only both of ours were better!

Take care yourself, Lee.

I'm an oddball. I'm a Rams fan from Finland and I have always followed Port Vale on the side. Vale is kind of my second team. Due to this I have always felt Stoke City as a kind of rival for me.

I never saw Victoria Ground but I have visited the Britannia Stadium twice and the feel about the place impressed me. I think you should be proud of that place. 

Mike Sheron, Rory Delap and Ricardo Fuller are players that I have liked over the years. I also liked the Pulis era in a way. The fact that Stoke created the kind of system to get by without big resources made me appreciate you as a club. I do also appreciate your fan base.

I must admit that my view over your club has changed a lot after I visited Britannia Stadium. Although you are number 2 club in Stoke, ?  I do kind of hope your team does well in the future as long as you lose to Rams and Vale.

Hello folks – Stoke fan here in peace. 

I work on the ‘Duck’ fanzine and I’m planning a different type of article for our next issue – out whenever something approaching normal matchdays return to our lives once more. 

I aim to ask supporters of several clubs 5 questions about their perceptions of Stoke City in order a to create a big feature article“Us and Them.”  For the following questions, feel free to answer in varied depth/ brevity but a couple of sentences at least for each is ideal: 

1. Generally how do you see Stoke City the club – a rival? Non-entity? Certain type of club? Disdain? Admiration? Pity?! As a fixture – is it of general appeal? 

Growing up in the 70's definitely a rival, you us and F*rest come from an age where the trophies were spread around a bit more.

2. Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years? 

Mike Pejic for his legendary muttons. Jimmy Greenhoff before he sold out to old trafford and bombed

1977 at the BBG, Derby 2 Stoke 0.....horrible game between 2 teams on the slide and clogging each other for points

4. In home / away matches, what have you made of the Stoke support? Any particular memories? 

Same game - not many Stoke but seem to remember a really sullen atmosphere and grief at the station after

5. The Victoria Ground/ The New One – what did/ do you make our of our home ground(s)’ the grounds? Any particular experiences or impressions? 

Never been I'm afraid - at best a half-fan

Given our reputation over the years, this could be a risk but then again, it would be great if I could glean a diverse range of honest/diverse/ cutting/ funny/ serious or even complimentary views.  

If you can be arsed, thanks for your time.  

Take care of yourselves, 

Lee Hawthorne @ORFYDUCKMAG 

I saw Sir Stan play in a testimonial.

Used to love seeing Banksy in action.

They were two of the greatest examples of all that was, and is(?) best about English football!

I was happy to hear of their League Cup win in 1972 but can't think of anything else they've achieved.

Saw the sad site of the Victoria Ground and thought how sad and forlorn it looked.

As a Rams fan I have never thought of SCFC as rivals or a bête noir.

Bit like Leicester City who've never achieved owt, oh, hang on!

Not a rival (apart from the recent Rowett needle), I struggle to see Stoke as anything other than the misery ball team who's fans make a point of booing someone for having the cheek to have their leg broke by a stoke player. Is that unfair? I think it probably is unfair that that perception still exists, but, you asked and that's kind of still how I see Stoke. Like a poster above likened, the Millwall of the midlands. It's just a match, one that i don't particularly think we ever do well in.  For saying that, good local support, a "proper" club, and yes, I would say the national sports media were unfairly dismissive and belittling of Stoke when you were Premier league.

2. Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years? I think that Mark Hughes side was actually pretty decent for a while. Whilst plenty of good players have passed through the stoke sides, I can't think of any real "wish we had that bloke" moments.

3. Are there matches between your team and Stoke you recall hating/ loving? I remember an FA cup match when Stoke were in the prem and we were in the championship and all your players made our center backs and goalie look like midgets. Was equal parts amused and irritated by Bradley's "bitey" moment and enjoyed the 4-0 this season.

4. In home / away matches, what have you made of the Stoke support? Any particular memories? Pretty vocal. I wouldn't knock Stoke's support. The internet fanboys got egg on their faces when you came down, but, that's internet fanboys and not the majority.

5. The Victoria Ground/ The New One – what did/ do you make our of our home ground(s)’ the grounds? Any particular experiences or impressions? Never went to your old ground. Then new one is a pretty decent ground.

On 10/04/2020 at 16:24, ORFYDUCKMAG said:

Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years?  

Geoff Hurst. When I lived in Newcastle-under-Lyme, we would occasionally go to his very nice pub, the Sheet Anchor at Whitmore, for the novelty of drinking a pint pulled by someone who scored a hat trick in a World Cup final. Never really took much notice of Stoke City in the five years that I lived in the Potteries.

I think Stoke have to take pride in being a founder member of the football league. I don’t see them as a very fashionable club and I think that is down to how they are portrayed in the media. As for oatcakes my grandma used to make them when I was a kid and I can honestly say Derbyshire ones are the best.

I think as far as players go you have to look at Stanley Mathews and Gordon Banks. There may be a few more I had Ryan Shawcross in my dream team once and he did ok.

I’ve loved every game we have won against Stoke and hated everyone we have lost. There are none that I recall had much meaning apart from the League Cup Quarter final and we won it.

Last match at Stoke I though there weren’t many in the home end away I’d expect you to bring 3k to Derby. You have a good song that you’ve nicked off Tom Jones.

Only been to the new ground which I didn’t think was a great day out. Too much hassle trying to get to a pub near the ground then you’re not guaranteed a decent pint. Inside the ground it was ok as far as football grounds go but you really ought to fill the corners in.

The best thing about Stoke was Shelleys.

1.) A team local to us so great for some banter but not in the same way as Forest or Leicester. Nice admin staff on the phones. Friendly decent club

2) Loved Jimmy Greenough, deft, intelligent footballer. 

3) Not really but gutted when Rowett beat us 

4) Average 

5) Never went to the Victoria. New ground is very much like Pride Park, stadium out of a Meccano kit but you have perhaps the best football statue ever .. Mathews wizard of the dribble is a genuine work of art. Inspiring.... I took my nephew just to see it on a none match day. Its ducking brilliant and a fitting tribute to the player and that part of your clubs history. 

On 15/04/2020 at 09:03, Van der MoodHoover said:

Jimmy Greenhoff before he sold out to old trafford and bombed

Pretty similar scoring ratio at United and it was towards to the end of his career.. not to mention the wining goal in the 77 cup final 

Just saying ? 

Save for paying us a load of dosh for Snakey which was especially good of you, I don't really have a view on this.

Yeah, James McClean - what a absolute tit.

Not really

Nope - do love the Stoke fans' contributions on The Oatcake forum though. They outright misery an art form

Nope

I probably live as close to The Britannia as I do The City Ground, so although Stoke isn't a Derby match, it's got a bit of extra spice - similar to when we play Wednesday for our fans from Chesterfield way I'd imagine. Mix with the odd Clayhead every now and then, and like most of the town - are salt of the earth, proper fans. Do have your fair share of rough buggers following you though.

2. Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years?  

Ricardo Fuller is about the only one I remember. Our paths rarely crossed for the first 20 years of my Rams supporting life.

Two cup games - League cup quarter final at the Brit; last minute Ellington penalty 1-0 win for us, and a 4th (?) Round FA cup game at Pride Park which wasn't memorable on the pitch, but was interesting outside the pubs on Midland Road afterwards.

Flakey home support, but always bring a following down the A50. Delilah is loud but can't say you're any more or less memorable than any other side.

Identikit ground unfortunately with added wind-chill factor.

Archived