If the season really did end now... ST refunds?

ramjam1884

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tbh, I'm not at all sure they'll be a Derby County to follow once this is all over, so expecting a few quid back is neither here nor there.

It's not just Derby, I think football below the PL is essentially ducked.

17 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Tbh, I'm not at all sure they'll be a Derby County to follow once this is all over, so expecting a few quid back is neither here nor there.

Heck, you're having a cheery Sunday.

There will be serious consequences for most clubs below the PL but I can't really imagine (or should I say - don't want to imagine) any clubs at championship level no longer existing.

To digress ever so slightly, I've mentioned before that Tamworth have had their season cancelled. They were second, level on points with the team above them but with two games in hand. To add insult to injury, the sponsors for that league have now pulled out. So, whilst they're not quite Sunday league football level they soon may be. Worrying times for grass roots football. 

40 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Heck, you're having a cheery Sunday.

There will be serious consequences for most clubs below the PL but I can't really imagine (or should I say - don't want to imagine) any clubs at championship level no longer existing.

To digress ever so slightly, I've mentioned before that Tamworth have had their season cancelled. They were second, level on points with the team above them but with two games in hand. To add insult to injury, the sponsors for that league have now pulled out. So, whilst they're not quite Sunday league football level they soon may be. Worrying times for grass roots football. 

I don't see a way for crowds to come back anytime this year, at a minimum. 

Without fans, what's the point, and where's the income?

Our owner has spent the last 18 months at least looking for new investment, I can't imagine that's any easier now with this new reality.

We're quite a big club at this level, yet our backs are against the wall, despite having a minted local owner who's invested countless millions. We're in a better position than the majority, yet still are in perilous financial position.

Unless a miracle happens, I can't see how football will look anything like the same once we're past the virus.

20 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I don't see a way for crowds to come back anytime this year, at a minimum. 

Without fans, what's the point, and where's the income?

Our owner has spent the last 18 months at least looking for new investment, I can't imagine that's any easier now with this new reality.

We're quite a big club at this level, yet our backs are against the wall, despite having a minted local owner who's invested countless millions. We're in a better position than the majority, yet still are in perilous financial position.

Unless a miracle happens, I can't see how football will look anything like the same once we're past the virus.

What’s the point without fans? Well we all have to hope allowing fans will return at some stage. So, no fans is only a short/medium term scenario.

Finances is a really tricky one though. Behind closed doors would still bring in viewers income, advertising and TV revenue (although maybe nothing like the levels seen at the moment) assuming games are screened. 

I think it will be a while before football returns to as we used to know it if it ever does. But, I’d like to think Derby will still be around in some shape or form, something you feared may not be the case.

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Football seems an irrelevance nowadays, but I hope clubs take the opportunity to think about player wages. 

By all means honour current contracts or try to come to a mutual agreement. 

However, there will be many players coming towards the end of their contracts and clubs now have the opportunity to offer sensible wages, not throw silly money about. 

There has to be a realignment accross all football. 

Archived