The disgraceful EFL

I honestly thought with everything going off in the world at the minute the EFL would take a step back and realise what is important, money and how football clubs choose to spend it (providing they have it), not being all that important.

I've just seen the EFL have appealed for a 2nd time against the decision that Birmingham City are not guilty of breaching financial rules. Do they keep appealing until a guilty verdict is reached? With no consideration what this does to fans?

Apart from the fact this worries me when it comes to our charge, the timing from the EFL is woeful, imagine being a Birmingham City fan, furloughed from work, worrying about family and things far more important than football, then this final little piece of bad news, people don't need it.

The chairman of football clubs, all clubs, Derby, Boro, the lot of them, once this tails off, they need to come together and fight tooth and nail against the EFL, its time for change, for clubs to collectively agree rules that benefits the game, protects the smaller clubs and doesnt punish the bigger ones for being able to spend.

Rick Parry - your time is up our kid! (He wont ever see this will he)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Rick Parry - your time is up our kid! (He wont ever see this will he)

This is it in a nutshell. Parry is the one driving all these cases against EFL teams. As the new man on charge, and his personal initiative to 'clean up' the Championship, his career and reputation rests on winning. His ego won't let him drop the cases. 

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

This is it in a nutshell. Parry is the one driving all these cases against EFL teams. As the new man on charge, and his personal initiative to 'clean up' the Championship, his career and reputation rests on winning. His ego won't let him drop the cases. 

This is my take, clubs are suffering because the head of the EFL is a power hungry, bullying maniac who clearly wants to be seen to be taking on the big boys!

The EFL should be relaxing FFP rules for a few years, withdrawing all charges and going from political battles to helping all 72 clubs through the current climate. This period in our lives is a reset button, a chance for everyone to take stock, including the world of football. 

Clearly the EFL have the bit between their teeth with Brum, but if the clubs and fans unite, this could be the catalyst for the downfall of EFL, or certain figures at least.

I remember Parry when he was at Liverpool, loved the sound of his own voice and his mug being in the sports pages. 

Reading previous posts, it appears he’s trying the new broom sweeps cleanest approach. Maybe it’s time he was given something to think about, I’m wondering about the possibility of a breakaway league in a similar way the Premier League came about.

I must admit, I haven’t given it a lot of thought, it may be that it’s a non starter but I’m not convinced the EFL have the best interests of a few Championship clubs at heart, there’s too much of a “We’re in charge and don’t you forget it” attitude to some and a blind eye turned to others and I’m thinking of QPR for one there.

I was absolutely baffled to see the EFL try so publicly to impact a club’s outcome, especially as a separate committee found them not guilty. It’s staggering.

I’d like to see some clubs make a stand against them, perhaps a breakaway league in partnership with the Premier League would be possible?

In slight defence of the EFL, it is their job to punish teams that have broken the FFP regulations. We can sit here and debate whether FFP should exist at all (I don’t think it should), but the fact of the matter is the rules are there and teams know they need to make sure they meet the limits. You can’t let teams off the hook for financial mismanagement in recent seasons just because of current events, that would be unfair on teams previously punished for the same breach of regulations - though I do feel that when we come to review this seasons accounts, the limits should be adjusted to account for the loss of income. 

That’s where the defence ends however, because this specific case is obviously ridiculous. The Birmingham case has been to an independent hearing and they’ve been found not guilty. That should be the end of it. The fact the EFL are pushing again to try and get a guilty verdict makes them appear vindictive - almost like they want clubs to fall apart, when really they should want exactly the opposite. Shameful really, and it clearly stems from those at the top. I hope we can eventually accomplish two things - an abolition of FFP agreed by all clubs involved, and the overthrow of the current EFL governing board.

2 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

I remember Parry when he was at Liverpool, loved the sound of his own voice and his mug being in the sports pages. 

Reading previous posts, it appears he’s trying the new broom sweeps cleanest approach. Maybe it’s time he was given something to think about, I’m wondering about the possibility of a breakaway league in a similar way the Premier League came about.

I must admit, I haven’t given it a lot of thought, it may be that it’s a non starter but I’m not convinced the EFL have the best interests of a few Championship clubs at heart, there’s too much of a “We’re in charge and don’t you forget it” attitude to some and a blind eye turned to others and I’m thinking of QPR for one there.

There was a time I’d have been dead set against this, but now I think it needs to happen. Now is probably the time to do it as well.

7 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

There was a time I’d have been dead set against this, but now I think it needs to happen. Now is probably the time to do it as well.

Aye but I would be concerned for the current league 1 & 2 clubs being left to be run by that bunch of you know what’s. That’s about the only negative I can think of kicking them into touch at the minute.

5 hours ago, angieram said:

Do you know, just at the moment, if the EFL has money to spare, shouldn't it be helping out some of the struggling clubs rather than spending it on lawyer's fees?

Show some good grace, admit defeat and move on.

Absolutely, all of the footballing bodies need to get their acts together and work positively at this critical time. 

24 minutes ago, mr_rams said:

Why not help clubs like Bury etc rather than focus on this stuff for long time? 

Problem with the likes of Bury, it seems that their plight is more of a result of poor financial management by successive owners. Not sure the EFL can bail out clubs who can't manage their finances. As painful as it is for long suffering fans. 

9 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

Aye but I would be concerned for the current league 1 & 2 clubs being left to be run by that bunch of you know what’s. That’s about the only negative I can think of kicking them into touch at the minute.

I’m not sure there will be a league 2 when all this is over - at least not a full time professional one. Once one of the smaller clubs collapses, there could well be a domino effect resulting in quite a number going bust and others turning to part time. Football (and life in general) is likely to change quite significantly after the virus.....

Archived