10 things that I love about Derby county

B4ev6is

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

1. I love old bbg ground my first ever game was there against wovles.

How old were you buddy, which stand did you go in, and what do you remember about the game and score? I don’t think I ever saw Wolves at the BBG.  Went to Molineux a number of times in the 80/90s.

17 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

How old were you buddy, which stand did you go in, and what do you remember about the game and score? I don’t think I ever saw Wolves at the BBG.  Went to Molineux a number of times in the 80/90s.

4 or 5 years old mate.

1. The badge

2. That we get mentioned every time 2 teams who are quite close to each other play each other

3. The BBG

4. The nickname

5. The history, including the rubbish

6. That we were founder members of the Football league

7. That we still exist (somewhat against the odds at at least one point)

8.  Todd and MacFarland (as a kid I couldn't choose between the two)

9. That Clough rated our title win as his greatest achievement

10.  That we set up that 1989 title decider by winning at Arsenal a couple of weeks previously

1 They can make me unbelievably happy .

2 Formed a massive part of my life when we were the best team in the country 

3 I was the right age to enjoy it at the time .

4 BBG Boxing Day games complete with snow.

5 Clough and Taylor side 

6  Dave Mackay side .

7 European Cup games at the BBG .

8 Away days when we win.

9 Match days is more than just the game it's a day out with your mate[s]

10 Hope springs eternal every new season no matter how crap we were the previous one.

1. Our wonderful academy

2. Our amazing academy

3. Our stupendous academy

4. Our terrific academy

5. Our sensational academy

6. Our excellent academy

7. Our marvelous academy

8. Our tremendous academy

9. Our outstanding academy

10. Our superb academy

Anyone in the slightest bit connected to our great academy is a far sighted genius, not least our Mel.

I loved The Baseball Ground too, @B4ev6is, even though I found it quite scary at times. I loved standing on the Popside, and when the crowd surged forwards I often ended up in a different spot!

I loved the noise of the crowd when we were attacking and I miss that the most.

I didn't love the loos and the walk out at the end, when we were all walking through the alley back onto Shaftesbury Crescent. And I once got punched by an Everton fan, though to be fair on him he was aiming at his mate who ducked out of the way, unfortunately for me! 

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

I loved The Baseball Ground too, @B4ev6is, even though I found it quite scary at times. I loved standing on the Popside, and when the crowd surged forwards I often ended up in a different spot!

I loved the noise of the crowd when we were attacking and I miss that the most.

I didn't love the loos and the walk out at the end, when we were all walking through the alley back onto Shaftesbury Crescent. And I once got punched by an Everton fan, though to be fair on him he was aiming at his mate who ducked out of the way, unfortunately for me! 

I remmber me trying join in with chants but I dont think the words but I didnt care I was having fun.

20 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I remmber me trying join in with chants but I dont think the words but I didnt care I was having fun.

I still remember those chants and wonder why some have totally disappeared while we are still singing others.

My favourite was the one that finished "into Europe we will march with Kevin as our King" or something like that. Other clubs still sing it but we don't. (I think it might be political?)

Not really 10 reasons why I love Derby - more 10 reasons why the support this club has is so special. A club that has lurched endlessly between fleeting glory and absolute disaster but one that you can't help being very defensive about. An endless soap opera but that badge and that shirt - just can't beat it.

I hear Leeds fans whingeing every week about hard done to they are - they've got little to compare to this craziness

1.      Lost first 3 FA Cup Finals – all in the space of 5 years

2.      Last FA Cup final defeat was a record defeat for 116 years

3.      Lost our sole European Cup semi final in 1973 after the ref was bribed by Juventus

4.      Allowed our most successful manager to walk away….and saw him win the European Cup with the wannabes up the road. Twice.

5.      Having to be grateful to serial crook Robert Maxwell for saving us from liquidation

6.      Being denied a place in Europe on 2 separate occasions, once because of crap accountancy, the other because of Liverpool fans

7.      Curse of the ex-player but we even manage to let our ex-goalkeeper score against us in injury time

8.      The only British club I’m aware of with over half a board of directors convicted of fraud – courtesy of the 3 Amigos

9.      The horror of 2007/08. Manager wants to leave at Wembley, 11 points, Paul Jewell banging some bint on the front page

10.   The only British club I think to have sacked their club captain after a bunch of players thought drink driving was a wise life choice

25 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Not really 10 reasons why I love Derby - more 10 reasons why the support this club has is so special. A club that has lurched endlessly between fleeting glory and absolute disaster but one that you can't help being very defensive about. An endless soap opera but that badge and that shirt - just can't beat it.

I hear Leeds fans whingeing every week about hard done to they are - they've got little to compare to this craziness

3.      Lost our sole European Cup semi final in 1973 after the ref was bribed by Juventus

4.      Allowed our most successful manager to walk away….and saw him win the European Cup with the wannabes up the road. Twice.

5.      Having to be grateful to serial crook Robert Maxwell for saving us from liquidation

6.      Being denied a place in Europe on 2 separate occasions, once because of crap accountancy, the other because of Liverpool fans

7.      Curse of the ex-player but we even manage to let our ex-goalkeeper score against us in injury time

8.      The only British club I’m aware of with over half a board of directors convicted of fraud – courtesy of the 3 Amigos

9.      The horror of 2007/08. Manager wants to leave at Wembley, 11 points, Paul Jewell banging some bint on the front page

10.   The only British club I think to have sacked their club captain after a bunch of players thought drink driving was a wise life choice

Are you ok? 

29 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Agree. There are more disasters but these 10 will do.  I assume you are 50 plus? Because you've used a term for a girl I haven't heard in years. Bint. A good old army word from Arabic or Hindi. It was commonly used when I was a kid until the term "bird" came along in the early 60s. 

Archived