Apple

ketteringram

Looking for Apple advice. 

Mrs is after a Macbook pro. She wants or needs minimum of 1TB storage, preferably more. For reasons I don't know, she doesn't want to be messing about with external drives or cloud storage.

So, the specs for the 13 inch one say 256gb or 512gb. It then says that it is configurable up to 1 or 2TB. Does anyone know what this means?

Can you actually buy a 1TB model of the 13 inch one? 

I know that you can get the 16 inch one with a 1TB drive, but that is a lot more money.  She will probably end up getting that one, if you can't get it on the 13 inch.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most are equipped with SSDs these days buddy - solid state drives. They offer huge speed advantages and lower failure rates as they have no moving parts. Use less electricity too.

There are some absolute bargains to be had in the refurbished market these days if you must have the 1TB HDD option. Check eBay - I've seen 1TB Probooks with 8GB RAM and i7 processors (loads of grunt!) and all for around £250 - £350. That's stupidly cheap considering what they cost new and unlike a lot of other notebooks. Mac owners tend to look after their kit so cosmetic damage will be minimal. Good for your wallet and the environment - they go to waste otherwise but could run for years no bother if re-bought.

57 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Looking for Apple advice. 

Mrs is after a Macbook pro. She wants or needs minimum of 1TB storage, preferably more. For reasons I don't know, she doesn't want to be messing about with external drives or cloud storage.

So, the specs for the 13 inch one say 256gb or 512gb. It then says that it is configurable up to 1 or 2TB. Does anyone know what this means?

Can you actually buy a 1TB model of the 13 inch one? 

I know that you can get the 16 inch one with a 1TB drive, but that is a lot more money.  She will probably end up getting that one, if you can't get it on the 13 inch.

You just pick the storage when you click add to basket. Example below of the 13”. Unfortunately you can’t upgrade it yourself anymore as they solder the chips to the board directly and they are pretty expensive when you upgrade at checkout. 

Needing at least 1TB seems pretty mad though, it’s a single point of failure if she’s not using external drives etc. 

DCFE5970-B8A0-4EEE-B0D7-D5E3507842A8.thumb.png.84c69a0b274261315971226f73e3ef2d.png

1 minute ago, ketteringram said:

@ThePrisoner thank you!

I know it's mad. She's female. Current one , windows, is 512gb. She reckons it's full. Wants to switch to apple . Already has phone and iPad . So makes sense I guess. She's too much money! 

I’ve been using their laptops for around 20 years. Biggest I’ve ever gone is 256GB and I do video/media production work. Prefer keeping big things off the computer and backed up too. 

Chances are it just needs a big clean up. Lots of junk amasses on Windows and lots of unnecessary bloatware comes with them!

4 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

@ThePrisoner thank you!

I know it's mad. She's female. Current one , windows, is 512gb. She reckons it's full. Wants to switch to apple . Already has phone and iPad . So makes sense I guess. She's too much money! 

Can’t you just self isolate until it all blows over?

4 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Can’t you just self isolate until it all blows over?

I wish. I don't even have a computer. Mine got stolen 5 or 6 years ago ,and I decided never to get another.

By the time I got back to her and explained that upgrade at the checkout part, she'd already ordered the bigger one  from John Lewis. Turning up tomorrow apparently. I imagine the best part of 3 grand. Oh well. At least it's not my money. ?

Easy issue to resolve...

If it was me id buy the 13” apple mac pro with 256gb and then ask the mrs to pay for the 1TB upgrade if she really think she needs it.

Given we will have a few weeks of stay at home working / isolation she cant kick you out in that time so gives time for her to calm down - by that time she will be on the cloud ??

30 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

I wish. I don't even have a computer. Mine got stolen 5 or 6 years ago ,and I decided never to get another.

By the time I got back to her and explained that upgrade at the checkout part, she'd already ordered the bigger one  from John Lewis. Turning up tomorrow apparently. I imagine the best part of 3 grand. Oh well. At least it's not my money. ?

Well you can grab her Windows PC now. Result! 

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

@ThePrisoner thank you!

A sanitised insight into your missus 512gb stash

channing tatum film GIF

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

@ThePrisoner thank you!

Well just tell her delect some things of or get pen drive you can put stuff on the free memory wise.

5 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Well just tell her delect some things of or get pen drive you can put stuff on the free memory wise.

You don’t tell a woman to do things mate.

You make them think it was their idea, you’ll learn one day.

I'd be asking serious questions about what the hell she has 1TB worth of that she can't possibly store anywhere other than on the laptop itself.

Has she been making the most of bored gentlemen on OnlyFans?

12 minutes ago, Srg said:

I'd be asking serious questions about what the hell she has 1TB worth of that she can't possibly store anywhere other than on the laptop itself.

Has she been making the most of bored gentlemen on OnlyFans?

It's possible ?.

I don't really want to get involved, but I was asked the question when she was browsing, 'why can't I get the 13 inch Mac book but with a 1tb drive. So I thought I'd ask on here. 

Far as I'm concerned, the only use for any laptop, whether it's £300 or £3,000, would be to prop up a wonky table.

Archived