After this lockdown is all over....

SFD1968

Hi all..

After all this is done and dusted, what do you think the state of the game in the UK will be?

My opinion - that there will be a backlash against the bigger clubs and massively loaded players for not stepping up financially with regards to furloughing non-playing staff.  I also think that some clubs will disappear altogether from the scene, or there will have to be a series of mergers of smaller clubs to prevent clubs going into administration. 

What does everyone else think? 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SFD1968 said:

Hi all..

After all this is done and dusted, what do you think the state of the game in the UK will be?

My opinion - that there will be a backlash against the bigger clubs and massively loaded players for not stepping up financially with regards to furloughing non-playing staff.  I also think that some clubs will disappear altogether from the scene, or there will have to be a series of mergers of smaller clubs to prevent clubs going into administration. 

What does everyone else think? 

I can only guess that some clubs from L1 and below are in for tough times.

I don't personally think the PL clubs will suffer any backlash. One gets the impression that most PL league clubs and their fans would welcome any tin pot dictator or dubious Oligarch to become owners as long as the money was right, and they could chuck in a few £100million or so for transfers. The same folk will soon conveniently forget the lousy treatment of the non playing staff during the Covid-19 crisis. 

Not understanding the whole hatred towards the players?

It's the clubs that have furloughed staff, not the players. 

Did the clubs consult with players first to see if they would take pay cuts before furloughing staff?

Are the clubs making up the 20% shortfall to the staff wages?

Should the Government have caveated the scheme by making profit making companies pay back any money claimed through the scheme?

Why have footballers been attacked? Why not other well paid sports stars?  Why not pop stars? CEOs? Bankers?

If football clubs go bust because players have refused to take pay cuts then I can understand a backlash.

Let's not forget as well as earning more in one week than most of us earn in a year, the same will go for their tax bill!

Something that I hadn't thought about  was raised on Sportsound today. 

If football starts up again in a couple of months and social distancing is still in place then attendances / capacity  will be vastly reduced. 

They were saying 30k at Parkhead and 20k at Ibrox based on 2 metre limit. 

7 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

If football starts up again in a couple of months and social distancing is still in place then attendances / capacity  will be vastly reduced. 

Something that Sportsound hadn’t thought about is that football will not start up again whilst social distancing is in place.

10 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Something that Sportsound hadn’t thought about is that football will not start up again whilst social distancing is in place.

They did talk about that, they were putting various scenarios out there. 

They had an American owner of a MSL team on, and they are preparing for games to be played behind closed doors until the end of the year. 

How long will it go on for? 

It could go on for a very long time. 

Both France and spain have each currently got over 6,800 people critically ill and the uk had 5,900 new cases today alone. This is the worst in europe and second only to the USA in the world. Italy and spain are similar in terms of population. We have so far had under 50,000 infected in a month, and - on the basis of the current numbers of infections in italy and spain - we might expect that figure to double, triple, maybe more. That alone could surely mean another two months of lockdown.

The numbers are just mind boggling. I can't see this being over before the summer, and then further waves of infection could even mean that it is xmas before anyone is even interested in watching anyone kick a ball. The economic fall out will be huge. How are clubs going to survive? 

I can actually imagine a scenario whereby Rooney will not play for Derby again.

If the disease means no football this year, then that would account for the first 12 months of an 18 month contract. I doubt whether we can afford to pay his wages with no income and could end up looking for a way out. Will 32 Red pay the wages? Their business model is absolutely buggered with no sport and nothing to bet on. 

11 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

I said in another post that a social distanced PP would lose 3 out of 4 seats in a row and 2 out of 3 tiers. Capacity about 2K

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

I said in another post that a social distanced PP would lose 3 out of 4 seats in a row and 2 out of 3 tiers. Capacity about 2K

And how do you even begin to keep those attending apart when entering and exiting the ground??  My Mrs just took the dog for a walk and an ignorant couple couldn't even be bother to give her a 6ft berth when she was picking up some poo!!!

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

And how do you even begin to keep those attending apart when entering and exiting the ground??  My Mrs just took the dog for a walk and an ignorant couple couldn't even be bother to give her a 6ft berth when she was picking up some poo!!!

Oh I agree. No way will grounds reopen when the rules are still in force. It was just some musings when trying to sleep at 3:00 in the night

5 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Tell her to swing the bag round, that'll shift 'em..

Archived