I've got a time machine and I'm going to use it

Carl Sagan

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Someone should have taken him out.. 

Yeah and I noticed a Union Flag in the corner England are defending in the first half with Swindon written on it, surely they should have done it as he walked out the tunnel.............

Also noticed an Argentina fan in the crowd waving a snake about in the crowd before kick off...............

42 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I'd go back a month and bet the winner of every one of the last 50 horse races run in the UK and Ireland before the lockdown. Then I'd buy a small island.

Cuba would suffice.

Don’t do it all at once - they never like to pay out, a jockey club investigation and the gambling commission on your back. (Sucks through teeth it’s risky buddy but I’ll keep them off your back for some rum and cigars rolled on the thighs of dusky maidens. )

54 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

1978 1-1, Gerry Daly penalty for us....it seemed like forever more going back to the station....?

Gerry Daly ..on his day an Irish Frank Lampard  .. lovely player. Scored the first goal I ever saw at a live football game. Lit my fire. 

43 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I don't think I've heard about that. What happened?

One of the directors, Jack Kirkland, questioned Peter Taylors role at the club on several occasions eventually leading to the rift between Clough and the board.

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Amazing - you've cleared up a mystery for me. I was there at Filbert Street with my dad and older brother, gutted that we hadn't done enough. And then all the Rams fans around me starting chanting that we were Champions. I completely missed the announcement (I didn't even have a transistor radio let alone a mobile phone) so, as the mathematician in the family, insisted telling the others the fans had got it wrong. Might be worth going there just to hear the tannoy!

I don't think that you should chastise your young mathematical self in any shape or form @Carl Sagan.  In fact you were more correct than those of us chanting.

On April 20th we had 52 points, a goal difference of +18 and one game to go.  Liverpool and Everton couldn't catch us mathematically but Ipswich in 4th after that weekend could.  They had two games to play and were 4 points behind us and a goal difference of +19. Two points for a win in those days.

Our last game was at home against Carlisle who were bottom and relegated (having at one stage led the table).  I like to think that were there anything riding on that game that we would have been a little more professional about it!  But Ipswich drew their game in hand beforehand and it didn't matter.

As we left Filbert Street chanting 'Champions' though, you were right to suggest that we might be wrong.  We weren't, but we could have been.  

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Rather have stopped the Kirkland - Taylor stuff that led to Clough and Longson falling out.

Can you imagine .... not what Cloughie might have done for us ... but those chaps on the Trent, Notts Woods is it ?  .. they wouldn’t have anything .. it might be worth it just for that ?

6 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Yeah and I noticed a Union Flag in the corner England are defending in the first half with Swindon written on it, surely they should have done it as he walked out the tunnel.............

Also noticed an Argentina fan in the crowd waving a snake about in the crowd before kick off...............

No DCFC or Rams on the flag...............

image.jpeg

Sith Happens
23 hours ago, GboroRam said:

I'd go back to that time when I was outright propositioned for a night of passion but was too nervous to say yes. Lynne, wherever you are, teenage me didn't have the courage to accept your offer - it was nothing personal.

Ah, the folly of youth...

I think many of us could say the same and have been in the same position.

Not with Lynne of course that would just be weird.

42 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I think many of us could say the same and have been in the same position.

Not with Lynne of course that would just be weird.

Oh come on.  She wasn't that bad... and I'm sure her hair grew back eventually!  

Archived