I've got a time machine and I'm going to use it

Carl Sagan

In the main forum I just wrote that if I invented a time machine which was able to transport me into the past (confounding Stephen Hawking's Chronology Protection Conjecture) one of my first acts would be to stop Charlie George dislocating his shoulder against Stoke allowing us to win the 1975-76 double. And that the fact Charlie did dislocate his shoulder unfortunately suggests I shall never invent such a device.

But suppose I'm wrong about that last bit and the Sagan Time Machine does actually exist. And I'm offering it out to each forum member to make one trip. Where would you go and what would you do to change (or not) the timeline? This can be Rams related, but in no way has to be.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

In the main forum I just wrote that if I invented a time machine which was able to transport me into the past (confounding Stephen Hawking's Chronology Protection Conjecture) one of my first acts would be to stop Charlie George dislocating his shoulder against Stoke allowing us to win the 1975-76 double. And that the fact Charlie did dislocate his shoulder unfortunately suggests I shall never invent such a device.

But suppose I'm wrong about that last bit and the Sagan Time Machine does actually exist. And I'm offering it out to each forum member to make one trip. Where would you go and what would you do to change (or not) the timeline? This can be Rams related, but in no way has to be.

I'd go back to that time when I was outright propositioned for a night of passion but was too nervous to say yes. Lynne, wherever you are, teenage me didn't have the courage to accept your offer - it was nothing personal.

Ah, the folly of youth...

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Aside from doing something altruistic I've always been fascinated by the stuff on the fringes of science. 

I could use the time machine to be on the ground at Roswell in 1947, or witness the Paterson-Gimlin movie being shot, the pyramids being built, Jesus performing miracles - something of that nature.  Document an event that would either prove or debunk a modern day myth. 

As discovering intelligent life would probably be the biggest event in the history of mankind I'll go with Roswell.

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'm seriously confused by your machine. We DID win the double, on 4 consecutive seasons, We have been in the top flight for 50 years and Forest and Leeds  play Mickleover next month in the Woolworths midlands suburbs league.

Kindly switch your machine off NOW!!!

I'd go back to 1986 and would have started a world wide campaign before the Mexico World Cup to make sure cheats especially those that deliberately hand ball in the penalty box are instantly red carded. England win 1-0 and then beat Belgium in the semi final and then give Germany a right proper doing in the final to win the World Cup. 

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I would be joining you at the BBG to make sure that Denis Smith never played that night but on the basis that we wouldn't waste a time travel to do the same thing and, avoiding all our 'big' nights, I would go back a season to our 1974/75 Championship.

On Saturday, April 19th 1975 we travelled to Filbert Street, Leicester.  We were top of the league (51 points) followed by Liverpool (49), Everton (49) and Ipswich (48).  So, close - two games left, Ipswich with three. There wasn't an overseas player on the pitch and only three non-English players. They had Worthington and Weller (and Mark Wallington in goal); we had a forward line of Roger Davies, Kevin and Franny Lee with Toddy and Roy Mac at the back.  38,000 there including a sold out away end (more accurately, crammed into a corner and slightly round the side of the ground) and most, including me, seemed to have gone on the football special accompanied by most of the Derbyshire Police Force.

We drew 0-0 and at the final whistle thought that we'd blown our chances of the championship until the stadium announcer came on the tannoy  (no mobiles/internet in those days) to announce that Liverpool, Everton and Ipswich had all lost v Boro, Sheffield United and Leeds respectively.  Cue pandemonium. With two points for a win we were now three points ahead and Champions barring a miracle for Ipswich who had two games left.  They drew their game in hand a few days later and it was over.

The last match was 0-0 v Carlisle with the players in an alcoholic stupor and the trophy paraded round the ground. We ended up on 53 points with Liverpool and Ipswich two back and Everton fourth on 50 points.  It was the point at Leicester that won us the League.  Never forgotten that day. Or that tannoy announcement. Would love to go back.

11 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

I would be joining you at the BBG to make sure that Denis Smith never played that night but on the basis that we wouldn't waste a time travel to do the same thing and, avoiding all our 'big' nights, I would go back a season to our 1974/75 Championship.

On Saturday, April 19th 1975 we travelled to Filbert Street, Leicester.  We were top of the league (51 points) followed by Liverpool (49), Everton (49) and Ipswich (48).  So, close - two games left, Ipswich with three. There wasn't an overseas player on the pitch and only three non-English players. They had Worthington and Weller (and Mark Wallington in goal); we had a forward line of Roger Davies, Kevin and Franny Lee with Toddy and Roy Mac at the back.  38,000 there including a sold out away end (more accurately, crammed into a corner and slightly round the side of the ground) and most, including me, seemed to have gone on the football special accompanied by most of the Derbyshire Police Force.

We drew 0-0 and at the final whistle thought that we'd blown our chances of the championship until the stadium announcer came on the tannoy  (no mobiles/internet in those days) to announce that Liverpool, Everton and Ipswich had all lost v Boro, Sheffield United and Leeds respectively.  Cue pandemonium. With two points for a win we were now three points ahead and Champions barring a miracle for Ipswich who had two games left.  They drew their game in hand a few days later and it was over.

The last match was 0-0 v Carlisle with the players in an alcoholic stupor and the trophy paraded round the ground. We ended up on 53 points with Liverpool and Ipswich two back and Everton fourth on 50 points.  It was the point at Leicester that won us the League.  Never forgotten that day. Or that tannoy announcement. Would love to go back.

And around 5000 Derby outside the ground as i remember.

Back to 1973. Intervene to stop the argument between clough and longson.

everyone calm down, shake hands and let’s stuff Leicester at home next game. 

27 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Amazing - you've cleared up a mystery for me. I was there at Filbert Street with my dad and older brother, gutted that we hadn't done enough. And then all the Rams fans around me starting chanting that we were Champions. I completely missed the announcement (I didn't even have a transistor radio let alone a mobile phone) so, as the mathematician in the family, insisted telling the others the fans had got it wrong. Might be worth going there just to hear the tannoy!

Back to 1980 for me and I would be outside the Dakota Building in New York and able to put a stop to the murder of John Lennon.

I get he won’t be everybody’s cup of tea but for me he had a lot more living to do and subsequently a lot more pleasure/enjoyment to bring to a lot of people Suppose you’d have to be a certain age to appreciate his contribution to music but I’ve missed him over the years.

1 hour ago, Inverurie Ram said:

I'd go back to 1986 and would have started a world wide campaign before the Mexico World Cup to make sure cheats especially those that deliberately hand ball in the penalty box are instantly red carded. England win 1-0 and then beat Belgium in the semi final and then give Germany a right proper doing in the final to win the World Cup.

And miss out on his second goal in the same match?   Now that would be a crime against football. 

27 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Good luck with that one. Both of those blokes could start an argument with their reflections.

Changing history would have unforeseen consequences.  i would be tempted to do away with Sun Tzu before he wrote The Art Of War, but would instead  probably choose Brian Clough and Sam Longson working out their differences and Clough staying at Derby.

It's a sense of wonder and inspiration that I love. So if I could, it would be a journey through history with a lot of baggage so I could show the great inventors, scientists and the great fighters for social justice what, despite our flaws we have managed to do, with what they inspired. 

Anyone from Watt Tyler, to Marie Curie, to Emily Pankhurst, Galileo, Leonardo, Brunel, The Wright Brothers. 

And Keogh not slipping at Wembley would be quite good too

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

Rather have stopped the Kirkland - Taylor stuff that led to Clough and Longson falling out.

Archived