Exit strategy

sage

58 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

We have a Kuoni holiday booked for May and were advised new legislation has been introduced meaning those having booked a package holiday can be offered a credit note. They have of course cancelled our holiday and given us a credit note which is the value of the holiday we booked before any discounts plus 10% so we are fairly happy with that as we still want to go.

I did read somewhere that this was true but can't seem to find it right now. We decided to leave our money in and if the cost of holidays rockets when we come to rebook I will argue the toss with them then if i want my money back.

We had a few hotels booked in the UK on non refundable deals and the Premier Inn gave us a full refund without asking, and another has allowed us to move it to next year for no extra cost so I am happy with that too. Parking wise at the airport we booked on a non refundable and they have given us a credit note for the full value so once again thats fine by us.

We do have some other holidays booked, one for the end of the summer in france which has been booked independently, that will be interesting to see, we have a balance to pay come July so will have to review the situation then. 

I personally am looking at it that if we decide not to go or can't and we lose the deposit then so be it, we did a transfer so can't claim off credit cards although we may be able to on insurance but by the time excesses are paid it might not be worth it. In the grand scheme of things if we end up just losing a couple of hundred pounds through this then its not the end of the world.

I do understand not everyone is in a position financially to take this approach. My view is by leaving the money with Kuoni which is the maldives and for us a lot of money then it may help secure jobs, the 36 pence interest i will get by getting it back now isnt going to help me out a lot. But as i say I wouldn't blame someone for getting it all back especially with a lot of people being out of work right now and bringing in less money.

I also think I read somewhere that they can give you a credit note but, if you don't use it by something like the 31st July (can't remember the date) they have to offer you a full refund. I think it's to give the travel companies a bit of breathing space.

I may have got this wrong, I also can't find the article, but I'm pretty sure you would get a refund if an alternative date is not suitable, but you might not get it straight away.

With regard to the independently booked holiday, you should be able to claim on your insurance if the FO advice remains in force but probably not in the case of company failure.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29/03/2020 at 23:51, A Ram for All Seasons said:

The figure that is being quoted in Germany is that the time taken for cases to double should be no less than 10 days in order to ensure that the health system is not overwhelmed. They are currently doubling very five days. Another figure that is being quoted is that 60 % of the population need to have been infected for herd immunity to be established.

I did a few simple sums on the back of an envelope and came up with a date of 21 July for when those conditions might be met, but nobody should take that remotely seriously. It will take a few weeks or months yet though.

You are Chris Whitty and I claim my £5...

The big problem we face is the 2 week incubation period and the fact that as soon as restrictions are lifted, what's the first thing people are going to do?  Run straight round to family/friend's houses and potentially spread it without knowing.  Whereas the yoof will go straight to the nearest pub/club and do the same.  The only way we're going to get back to any kind of normality is to test, test, and test.  Anybody who's found to be immune or found to have had it, but only with mild symptoms should be given a certificate or licence to say they're able to return to work, or help with front line services where applicable.  The rest of us would have to be done in stages...

• 1 month later...

Today in The Observer there is a poll that suggests that 17% want schools to reopen soon, 11% restaurants, 9% pubs and only 7% football matches and gigs.

I wonder how much polls like this will influence Government strategy.

14 minutes ago, sage said:

Today in The Observer there is a poll that suggests that 17% want schools to reopen soon, 11% restaurants, 9% pubs and only 7% football matches and gigs.

Very little I would hope.

I think much more will be decided by the Government working with trade bodies etc 

Our trade body BACTA had to present its written proposals to the DCMS on Friday for how we plan to re-open as an industry.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Very little I would hope.

I think much more will be decided by the Government working with trade bodies etc 

Our trade body BACTA had to present its written proposals to the DCMS on Friday for how we plan to re-open as an industry.

So if only 17% of parents think it is safe to send their kids to school, they should still reopen?

20 minutes ago, sage said:

I would like to believe the government has already got its own exit strategy formulated without having to rely on public opinion polls for inspiration

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

I would like to believe the government has already got its own exit strategy formulated without having to rely on public opinion polls for inspiration

I admire your optimism. I would imagine public confidence would have some influence. 

On 31/03/2020 at 07:45, Paul71 said:

We have a Kuoni holiday booked for May and were advised new legislation has been introduced meaning those having booked a package holiday can be offered a credit note. They have of course cancelled our holiday and given us a credit note which is the value of the holiday we booked before any discounts plus 10% so we are fairly happy with that as we still want to go.

I did read somewhere that this was true but can't seem to find it right now. We decided to leave our money in and if the cost of holidays rockets when we come to rebook I will argue the toss with them then if i want my money back.

You need to be careful with this in my opinion, if they offer you a credit note and you've agreed then they have fulfilled their financial obligations. If you choose not to take the money out and you can afford it then that's to the benefit of the travel company too so a positive decision. Just don't want to get your fingers burnt if the price of holidays rocket next year or more importantly if travel companies hike them to cover losses and the value of your credit note is nowhere near the revised cost of your holiday. The travel company could argue that you agreed to this so legally they have fulfilled their financial obligations with you.

5 minutes ago, sage said:

I admire your optimism. I would imagine public confidence would have some influence. 

If BoJo has got his exit strategy scratched out on the back of a fag packet and relying on what way public opinion sways then we're all doomed. Might as well start a national Facebook poll to decide what happens next and bypass the government totally

14 minutes ago, sage said:

So if only 17% of parents think it is safe to send their kids to school, they should still reopen?

Well personally I am happy to take the scientific/medical experts opinions over people who mainly get their information from Facebook/Twitter/Sensantionalist media.

Maybe for the remainder of this year they should give the parents the option to withdraw their kids.

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well personally I am happy to take the scientific/medical experts opinions over people who mainly get their information from Facebook/Twitter/Sensantionalist media.

Maybe for the remainder of this year they should give the parents the option to withdraw their kids.

I think that is a given.

5 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

The only positive i can think of about having gone into lockdown last is that is that the other countries are now putting together their exit plans and we can  cut and paste into Google translate and voila.

Lets face it, the response to initial crisis wasn't far off

Far off?

54 minutes ago, sage said:

Not At all. I’m pretty sure its already decided.
There is clearly a big push on stories which suggest it’s now time to end lockdown and get back to work.

News is being ‘managed’ and there is political interference in care strategies.

on March 19 the Government told NHS hospitals to transfer out elderly patients who no longer required ­hospital level treatment, regardless of whether they had suspected Covid-19 or had not been tested. We have Conservative County council secrecy over the extent of coronavirus in care homes. They won’t announce which homes have had deaths or confirmed cases.

we are now about to see a wave of similar patients discharged into alternative care accommodation 

Meanwhile there are reports of an easing of restrictions on may 18 and plans for schools to return on June 1 and front page stories about unfair and unnecessary restrictions on liberty.

Grant Shapps is talking today about workplaces staggering their opening hours to ease the pressure on the morning and evening rush hours on public transport and by also looking at encouraging workers to walk or cycle to work.

Would be very interested to see how the latter develops for me it's not feasible given the distance of my commute but I guarantee that there are people currently driving to work who live within a 2 mile radius.

Given the increased number of joggers and cyclists recently during the lockdown I'll be also interested to see how many of those translate their activities to their daily commute. 

8 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Not At all. I’m pretty sure its already decided.
There is clearly a big push on stories which suggest it’s now time to end lockdown and get back to work.

News is being ‘managed’ and there is political interference in care strategies.

on March 19 the Government told NHS hospitals to transfer out elderly patients who no longer required ­hospital level treatment, regardless of whether they had suspected Covid-19 or had not been tested. We have Conservative County council secrecy over the extent of coronavirus in care homes. They won’t announce which homes have had deaths or confirmed cases.

we are now about to see a wave of similar patients discharged into alternative care accommodation 

Meanwhile there are reports of an easing of restrictions on may 18 and plans for schools to return on June 1 and front page stories about unfair and unnecessary restrictions on liberty.

I have noticed this. One thing that is interesting is that the actual story doesn't match the headline. The school story being a prime example. The minister said it would take 3 weeks from making a decision to opening schools, so early June if we made a decision now.  That becomes schools opening June. 

Al the evidence I have seen from school colleagues is that schools won't fully reopen until September.

In terms of massaging public opinion/confidence the polls at least suggest they have a long way to go to convince the public to go along with the reopening of society.

On 31/03/2020 at 04:27, Needlesh said:

Depends on who the 80% are. If we isolate the oldest, and expose the young (which is what I believe they were doing keeping the schools open) that death rate drops off very dramatically. They're still talking 20000 as achievable. What a bloody depressing stat that is though.

I was aware that at least one child in my grandson's class had it and was hospitalised ,thankfully now recovered .However the Headmistress emailed the parents last week and it was more prevalent than you would have thought in the school .

Archived