Best Ever Signing

ramsbottom

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

From the same era, weren't Eranio and Baiano on freebies?

Eranio was free, Baiano something like £1.5M and done when the deal for Baggio fell through.

Eranio for me.  Cost nowt and part of an excellent team.  If it wasn’t for the Bosman ruling we’d never have signed a Champions League winning Italian international.  Now I need to pinch myself to make sure I’m not dreaming and that did really happen!!

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

King Kevin for £40,000. Played more games for Derby than any other player and 2nd only to Bloomer as a goal scorer.

For the amount of games he played for us (BARGAIN) and for the amount of goals he scored for us also. BEST EVER by a country mile.

On 25/03/2020 at 17:02, ramsbottom said:

Only £182,000 in today's money.  Yowzers!!!

Football inflation is different to normal inflation unfortunately.

If you consider that until recently, footballers had to get a second career to pay their mortgage once they hung up their boots, it's difficult to work out value for money on signings.

I'm sure someone out there could work out a formula based on percentage of the then record signing to work it out

22 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

'Champagne' Charlie George for me. 

How did we ever manage to get him from Arsenal

I still wonder today.

An absolute superstar and really nice guy.. 

I think he'd fallen out of favour there for some reason. I remember being mightily unimpressed with the signing but then watched him run the show on his debut in the 1975 Charity Shield. That season 75/76 he was close to being the best player in the country...........then along came Denis (f*****g) Smith.

1 hour ago, Eatonram said:

I think he'd fallen out of favour there for some reason. I remember being mightily unimpressed with the signing but then watched him run the show on his debut in the 1975 Charity Shield. That season 75/76 he was close to being the best player in the country...........then along came Denis (f*****g) Smith.

I agree he was phenomenal and the second best player I've seen in a Rams shirt. But his impact on the club was not as great as Mackay or Lee's. 

I'd have Todd and McFarland above him too tbh. 

47 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I agree he was phenomenal and the second best player I've seen in a Rams shirt. But his impact on the club was not as great as Mackay or Lee's. 

I'd have Todd and McFarland above him too tbh. 

WTF do you know about football. PS sent you a link.

Archived