Seaside Ram

Worst signing ever

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

I think it was £3m-ish.  To be fair, I watched him score on his debut against Everton and he looked like he could've been good, hardly his fault he had a dodgy passport.

I was at that match too, he looked Ok to be fair! For me Earnshaw, what a complete kn*bhead.   Kenny Miller worth a shout too

Anya.

He signed on big money, for decent money, plus we haven't been able to shift him. I have absolutely no question about his character and guarantee he's a good guy around the club, but it feels like we've been stuck with him. The others mentioned were moved on quickly, in some cases for money. Anya has been here since 2016 so will be leaving after four years at the club and leaving for nothing. He played his last game in a 2-0 loss to Fulham in the play-off semi final in 2018. 

I will always defend him for sticking by the contract he was offered and not taking a cut to move on. He wouldn't have been able to get anywhere near that money elsewhere and continued to do his job here. I have no problem with him at all. I remember people praising Joe Ledley for cutting his contract short here - it took him nearly a year to get another contract elsewhere and he's not really played since. I think Anya did right by himself. 

There's several categories in one here.

If you're talking about the worst player we've signed, then perhaps it's Ruben Zadkovich. A player so bad that he's been singled out by the internet to be a particularly poor player in a pub league. 

However, no one ever truly consider these the 'worst' signings, because players this bad are usually a cheap gamble that don't work off - harmless fun. By this measure, the true worst signing is probably a player who never even got a game.

The next measure is value for money. On this account, Anya, Blackman, even Johnson are all very high up on the list. By the standards of the time, the same could be said for Earnshaw too. In fact, when do we ever break our transfer record and improve the team in the process?

Then there's expectation vs reality. Albentosa is right up there here. The marketing team, then in its infancy, had not yet had its fingers bitten in the modern social media era and saw nothing wrong with building up a £500k signing from a player who spoke no English joining a league he'd barely heard of to be the next Igor Stimac. It turned out the only thing they had in common was being born outside of the British Isles. Even his top knot was rubbish.

Flo Jo, Nick Blackman, Ikechi Anya, Claude Davies, Raul Albentoza, Jacob Butterfield, Leon Best. It's a stiff contest even just based on recent years. 

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Flo Jo, Nick Blackman, Ikechi Anya, Claude Davies, Raul Albentoza, Jacob Butterfield, Leon Best. It's a stiff contest even just based on recent years. 

Butterfield shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as those. Was our best player by an absolute mile for a good few months.

4 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Butterfield shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as those. Was our best player by an absolute mile for a good few months.

Butterfield is in there for price and contribution, his first season was good, but everything after that was abysmal.

6 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Amusing how often we get worst player threads on here, and how little we get best player threads! 

Because we all know that was Roy McFarland.

Or Kevin Hector. Colin Todd. Archie Gemmill. Charlie George. Peter Doherty....or Bloomer.

My head is about to explode 😵

14 hours ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Esteban Fuertes has got to considered?

How much did he cost?

Nah we made a tidy profit on him got him for £2.3 million sold him to Lens for £2.8m

proper wheeler dealer was the bald eagle!

12 hours ago, sage said:

Bragstad or Grenet. Both worse players than Claude. Both so bad I wondered if they were some kind of hoax.

Yep Bragstaad was utterly gash!

Absolutely no postitional sense whatsoever, remember watching him against Charlton and couldn’t understand why he would keep going to stand next to the full back. 

3 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Yep Bragstaad was utterly gash!

Absolutely no postitional sense whatsoever, remember watching him against Charlton and couldn’t understand why he would keep going to stand next to the full back. 

I recall we had to increase our bid three times and spend 6 weeks trying to sign him over three other clubs.  Didn't we sign someone called Con Blatsis at the same time, what happened to him ?

13 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I recall we had to increase our bid three times and spend 6 weeks trying to sign him over three other clubs.  Didn't we sign someone called Con Blatsis at the same time, what happened to him ?

Went back to Oz via Sheff weds I think. Hope he stole some of their songs!

Dunno really how to look at this. 

Albentosa was slow and a hoof merchant who was signed to play from the back in a high line but we doubled our money on him because we picked him up so cheap. 

Bradley Johnson was our record signing but was a sloppy pass fumbler who didn’t suit the team he was signed for but through longevity became a decent servant, then left on a free. 

Anya made sense at the time. We wanted to be a pacey 4-4-2 side. He fit that. Things change quickly in football though.

I’d probably say Earnshaw. Billy didn’t want him. He was a ‘present’ from the board because we missed out on Nugent and Jones. Maybe Claude? 

Value for money wise & a bit controversial I'd say bielik 🤷‍♂️ our most expensive signing.. He's not better than academy graduates that have come through. Makes mistakes our graduates don't make, here as a stepping stone & agent blames us for him being Injured. 

Not had the best start but hoping this post doesn't age well & he smashes it next sesson

Worst players too many to mention, Claude is up there, Kevin Poole playing as first choice for a few games was mental, fagan, teale used to get some stick, Eddie Lewis. 

28 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Value for money wise & a bit controversial I'd say bielik 🤷‍♂️ our most expensive signing.. He's not better than academy graduates that have come through. Makes mistakes our graduates don't make, here as a stepping stone & agent blames us for him being Injured. 

Not had the best start but hoping this post doesn't age well & he smashes it next sesson

Worst players too many to mention, Claude is up there, Kevin Poole playing as first choice for a few games was mental, fagan, teale used to get some stick, Eddie Lewis. 

I raise you Liam Dickinson

34 minutes ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

I raise you Liam Dickinson

Was just about to post this too... 

Miller was terrible too, Earnshaw, Ravanelli, Beck .... that is a seriously depressing set of strikers.