Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Inverurie Ram

Derby Junction FC

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

According to @Mostyn6, it was Derby St Lukes that featured?  (In the "The English game" thread).

I have watched it, but can't remember myself.  Just know it was "Derby something or other"!  

Yes; it may be that in The English Game but it was Derby Junction who played Darwen in the F A Cup and lost. I’ll check the programme but it should have been Junction. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Yes; it may be that in The English Game but it was Derby Junction who played Darwen in the F A Cup and lost. I’ll check the programme but it should have been Junction. 

Indeed, in the programme it was Derby St Luke's, but they never actually played Darwen in the FA Cup. But Derby Junction did play Darwen in 1885 and lost. 

Share this post


Link to post

It was definitely Derby St Lukes mentioned in 'The English Game' They even had them playing in black and white as well

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, David said:

Lauren Hashian Wtf GIF by swerk

'The English Game' is a program on Netflix  basically about the FA Cup way back in the 1870's The Old Etonians were always expected to win it but then northern teams owned by mill owners started to get results. Most of the Old Etonians ran the FA at the time and basically made the rules. Suddenly the mill owners were bringing in highly rated Scottish players and paying them to play. It was strictly an amature game in the late 1800's 

It's a bit of a tough watch to be fair as it's more about the people than football 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, rsmini said:

It was definitely Derby St Lukes mentioned in 'The English Game' They even had them playing in black and white as well

More poetic license. The attached photo from 1883/4 shows them playing in quarters; most sides at the time played in those panelled shirts; single colours and light colours only became popular 20 or so years later. The exception being Snotts Florist and their biscuit red shirt. 

D88F2438-15AE-4808-A28D-82C80A713DF6.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
On 29 Mar 2020 at 16:23, Ellafella said:

I suspect that @Inverurie Ram has been watching "The English Game" on Netflix {which is an ironic title given that two of the foremost characters are Scottish}. It's an excellent "history" {some of the facts are actually incorrect for poetic license} of the development of the game of football, {although it's tied in with politics and of course some love-interest back stories}. Derby Junction featured this week "beating" Darwen 3-0 {actually Derby Junction lost 4-0 after the first game tied 2-2. Derby Junction eventually folded, in no small way due to the rise of the Rams as "THE" team in Derby. 

EE535B19-2C2A-41EA-A31E-893DE2015685.jpeg

My thought too. 

Share this post


Link to post

Towards the end it shows a picture of Shrovetide football in Ashbourne, in which one of the Old Etonians mention that someone got drowned in the river in a barbaric game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, ImARam2 said:

Towards the end it shows a picture of Shrovetide football in Ashbourne, in which one of the Old Etonians mention that someone got drowned in the river in a barbaric game.

 

Cave dwelling barbarians from Ashbourne mate. Just ask @StockholmRam if you don't believe me.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, ImARam2 said:

Towards the end it shows a picture of Shrovetide football in Ashbourne, in which one of the Old Etonians mention that someone got drowned in the river in a barbaric game.

 

That is correct. It also happened in the Derby Shrovetide game before the Derby game was prohibited by law in 1848* (from memory). That is the derivation of the term "Local Derby" - it means a particularly heated and injurious encounter usually between 2 sides from the same City. The term local Derby unsurprisingly came from our City - yet there are lots of other hogwash stories about its derivation. 

* actually 1846 when it was quelled by the Mayor aided by an Army troop from ....you've guessed it . . .Snottingham. 

Edited by Ellafella

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

That is correct. It also happened in the Derby Shrovetide game before the Derby game was prohibited by law in 1848* (from memory). That is the derivation of the term "Local Derby" - it means a particularly heated and injurious encounter usually between 2 sides from the same City. The term local Derby unsurprisingly came from our City - yet there are lots of other hogwash stories about its derivation. 

* actually 1846 when it was quelled by the Mayor aided by an Army troop from ....you've guessed it . . .Snottingham. 

actually 1846 when it was quelled by the Mayor aided by an Army troop from ....you've guessed it . . .Snottingham. For a brilliant and detailed account of how football was suppressed in Derby, read "Beastly Fury" by Richard Sanders. 

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 13:05, Anon said:

When posting in the forum

Your vagueness lacks decorum

I'd beg for exegesis

But begging's not my business

He'll write no explanation

Although I always tell him

And so it's my assumption

I'm really up the junction

Squeeze Thief ☺️

Share this post


Link to post
On 29/03/2020 at 15:23, Ellafella said:

I suspect that @Inverurie Ram has been watching "The English Game" on Netflix {which is an ironic title given that two of the foremost characters are Scottish}. It's an excellent "history" {some of the facts are actually incorrect for poetic license} of the development of the game of football, {although it's tied in with politics and of course some love-interest back stories}. Derby Junction featured this week "beating" Darwen 3-0 {actually Derby Junction lost 4-0 after the first game tied 2-2. Derby Junction eventually folded, in no small way due to the rise of the Rams as "THE" team in Derby. 

EE535B19-2C2A-41EA-A31E-893DE2015685.jpeg

For the historians out there, do you know if Fergus Suter of Blackburn Rovers played in the FA Cup quarter final against Derby Junction at the Arboretum in 1888?

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, hiltonram said:

For the historians out there, do you know if Fergus Suter of Blackburn Rovers played in the FA Cup quarter final against Derby Junction at the Arboretum in 1888?

I’ll search & see & let you know @Hilton Ram

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.