Can old dri be used as mini hospital again.

B4ev6is

Can the old dri be used as another mini hospital again I think still few wards still be using there I dont know how Derby main hospital is coping at the moment.

And with parts of it now in rumble maybe we can create extra beds if needed.

I just wish I knew how get this idea across.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Can the old dri be used as another mini hospital again I think still few wards still be using there I dont know how Derby main hospital is coping at the moment.

And with parts of it now in rumble maybe we can create extra beds if needed.

I just wish I knew how get this idea across.

The wards (think there are 4) that are there will be fully used as it is.

Believe me when I say every possible bed will be utilised and where it can be found, capacity will be found.

17 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well still laying there just waiting to be used.

How I would run it I close walk in centre and use staff from help run it.

Any minor cases could be sent there and free up beds. 

But the rest of life is still going on.  People still need the walk in centres, for walk in centre stuff!  People still need cancer treatment.  People still need kidney transplants... people still need their leg putting in a cast when they fall down stairs... and on and on and on...

The problem is, without this virus, we can just about cope with everything else (or not, depending on your views) but with the virus, we are closing in on the time when we get overwhelmed, and the NHS implodes!  

B4 - trust me mate when I say that the Derby Royal and Derby Council will have multiple plans in place and ready to go.

There are already multiple wards set up in the Hospital for this. All appointments for the next few months cancelled already (I know because of family affected) and they will have contingency in place. The Nuffield will all be set up as well.

Every plan will be enacted. Somewhere in my group they make the material for mattress protection in hospitals - their output has gone up massively right now - so much so they are desperate for warehouse space (based on in Long Eaton).

The hope, the prayers will be that for Derby and surrounding areas feeding into our hospital that a number of things happen:

1) The demand for ICU beds doesn’t go over available capacity otherwise doctors literally will need to decide who lives/dies.

2) Treatments are found and when found/ proven to be effective there is access to this. We need this incredibly quickly to lower the demand for point one. Chloryoxyprene (spelling!) together with another drug was a study done in Marseille a few weeks ago - it’s sample size of people who took it was 12!! Nowhere near enough to know if it’s good or not.

3) Antibody tests are needed for two reasons - 1) free up NHS staff who have had the big and 2) free up NHS staff who are self isolating for no reason at all and would be prepared to work.

Quite simply B4, for you in your position (and me in mine although my wife being 33 weeks pregnant scares me), there is only one thing we can do.... follow the Government advice. Stay at home, don’t take any risks, reduce contact. I know it’s not easy, it’s painfully difficult - but for your health, your family’s health and the health of everyone, if we need to do this for 3/7/12/36 weeks so we live the rest of our lives then that’s what it will be.

So please don’t worry B4, if there is any way that the remaining walk in centre and infrastructure for the old DRI can help the NHS leaders in this city will have considered that 100%.

Stay safe buddy.

It depends where the numbers get to. 
i haven’t seen any stats about how many people are currently hospitalised with the virus in Derbyshire. At a guess 10?
its not hit us yet.

there would need be to be a lot more cases before we hit the tipping point of needing to create a new hospital. But it wouldn’t surprise me if it happened. Today’s daily rate of 1500 new cases nationally, potentially creates enough very sick people to fill an 800 bed hospital within a week. 

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

It depends where the numbers get to. 
i haven’t seen any stats about how many people are currently hospitalised with the virus in Derbyshire. At a guess 10?
its not hit us yet.

there would need be to be a lot more cases before we hit the tipping point of needing to create a new hospital. But it wouldn’t surprise me if it happened. Today’s daily rate of 1500 new cases nationally, potentially creates enough very sick people to fill an 800 bed hospital within a week. 

I was told on Sunday that my niece, who is a nurse at the Royal, did a night shift in one of the three wards currently with infected. I don't know how many there are per ward but I would imagine more than 3 or 4.

15 minutes ago, rammieib said:

B4 - trust me mate when I say that the Derby Royal and Derby Council will have multiple plans in place and ready to go.

There are already multiple wards set up in the Hospital for this. All appointments for the next few months cancelled already (I know because of family affected) and they will have contingency in place. The Nuffield will all be set up as well.

Every plan will be enacted. Somewhere in my group they make the material for mattress protection in hospitals - their output has gone up massively right now - so much so they are desperate for warehouse space (based on in Long Eaton).

The hope, the prayers will be that for Derby and surrounding areas feeding into our hospital that a number of things happen:

1) The demand for ICU beds doesn’t go over available capacity otherwise doctors literally will need to decide who lives/dies.

2) Treatments are found and when found/ proven to be effective there is access to this. We need this incredibly quickly to lower the demand for point one. Chloryoxyprene (spelling!) together with another drug was a study done in Marseille a few weeks ago - it’s sample size of people who took it was 12!! Nowhere near enough to know if it’s good or not.

3) Antibody tests are needed for two reasons - 1) free up NHS staff who have had the big and 2) free up NHS staff who are self isolating for no reason at all and would be prepared to work.

Quite simply B4, for you in your position (and me in mine although my wife being 33 weeks pregnant scares me), there is only one thing we can do.... follow the Government advice. Stay at home, don’t take any risks, reduce contact. I know it’s not easy, it’s painfully difficult - but for your health, your family’s health and the health of everyone, if we need to do this for 3/7/12/36 weeks so we live the rest of our lives then that’s what it will be.

So please don’t worry B4, if there is any way that the remaining walk in centre and infrastructure for the old DRI can help the NHS leaders in this city will have considered that 100%.

Stay safe buddy.

I hope your wife is okay tell try not to worry she needs to keep carm stress will no do baby any good but I hope it is healty when it is born.

Archived