Mike te Wierik to play for Derby this season?

Just wondering if the season extends beyond July 1st whether we will see our new centre back playing for any remaining games.

Will the transfer window open on time, allowing us to register him.

Almost certainly he won't be allowed to play for Groningen after July 30th as he will be contracted to us onthe 1st.

Contract laws will kick in and Derby will flex their muscles.

As anyone got some thoughts on this?

Edited by David
Added question mark to title. Looked a bit clickbaity

Governing bodies are talking now what will happen with contracts, but I think it's highly unlikely. 

The flip side to your thought process would be what would happen to all the players out of contract, like Chris Martin for example?

Think it's a bit early to be thinking about all these, need to see what the next 2 weeks bring first as we may even see the season finish later in May.

Sadly the pandemic is still on the upward curve. So it seems a bit presumptuous to think that the current dire situation will see any improvement for several months at least. Can't see how this season is going to reach a conclusion. Hopefully next season commences with a sense of optimism, on and off the field. 

This is one of the biggest dilemmas that football authorities are currently facing. I would expect they will move the transfer window to coincide with whenever pre season is for next season, which will leave us unable to register anyone new for the reminder of the season. Contracts are more complex though, and I would expect that Te Wierik will become our player on July 1st as planned, just not registered to play in the league. He would still be registered to feature for Groningen though as there wouldn’t have been as registration window since his move. I would imagine the solution in this case, and in general, will be to create temporary loans of players back to the teams they have left until the end of the season - but being paid the terms of their new contract. So Te Wierik would rejoin Groningen on loan from us until the end of the season, and complete the campaign there, whilst officially contracted to us.

Edited by Millenniumram
7 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

This is one of the biggest dilemmas that football authorities are currently facing. I would expect they will move the transfer window to coincide with whenever pre season is for next season, which will leave us unable to register anyone new for the reminder of the season. Contracts are more complex though, and I would expect that Te Wierik will become our player on July 1st as planned, just not registered to play in the league. He would still be registered to feature for Groningen though as there wouldn’t have been as registration window since his move. I would imagine the solution in this case, and in general, will be to create temporary loans of players back to the teams they have left until the end of the season - but being paid the terms of their new contract. So Te Wierik would rejoin Groningen on loan from us until the end of the season, and complete the campaign there, whilst officially contracted to us.

That's a very neat and sensible solution, which is why it will never happen.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Really difficult situation though. What happens (god forbid) if he gets injured while playing out the season with Groningen and can't play again - see Sala and Cardiff; and who pays him how much? He might be expecting a good pay rise on July 1st

No wonder the union is part of the discussions with uefa and the clubs. It'll be even more complicated if players are contracted to join clubs and coming from outside europe.

1 minute ago, ilkleyram said:

Really difficult situation though. What happens (god forbid) if he gets injured while playing out the season with Groningen and can't play again - see Sala and Cardiff; and who pays him how much? He might be expecting a good pay rise on July 1st

No wonder the union is part of the discussions with uefa and the clubs. It'll be even more complicated if players are contracted to join clubs and coming from outside europe.

He’d already be contracted to us, so the deal will be complete and that’s that. We’d just have to immediately help him recover when he officially gets here. I’d suggest maybe the current club keeps paying the wage they currently pay him, while the new club covers the shortfall (if there is any). 

Its certainly a complex situation though. You’d have to come up with similar solutions to out of contract players, players moving for fees, expiring loan players etc etc

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

He’d already be contracted to us, so the deal will be complete and that’s that. We’d just have to immediately help him recover when he officially gets here. I’d suggest maybe the current club keeps paying the wage they currently pay him, while the new club covers the shortfall (if there is any). 

Its certainly a complex situation though. You’d have to come up with similar solutions to out of contract players, players moving for fees, expiring loan players etc etc

What if he doesn't want to play for Groningen anymore ? Also what about players that clubs wanted to move on at the end of their contracts?

It will become a minefield.

33 minutes ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

What if he doesn't want to play for Groningen anymore ? Also what about players that clubs wanted to move on at the end of their contracts?

It will become a minefield.

I guess you can’t force them to play somewhere they don’t want to - but you can’t allow them to play elsewhere. If players don’t want to stay at their current clubs, then they’ll just have to wait until next season to play.

On 16/03/2020 at 21:10, Millenniumram said:

I may be looking at this all wrong but Te Wierik was joining us after the season should have officially finished so it would follow that he will join us when the season does eventually finish and up until that time he remains a Groningen player, same with players on loans until the end of the season, they remain on loan until the season is completed, as the season may still be ongoing in June/July such players would still technically still be on loan. Same with players out of contract at the end of the season, that will come into force when the season has been played to a finish one way or another

19 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

I may be looking at this all wrong but Te Wierik was joining us after the season should have officially finished so it would follow that he will join us when the season does eventually finish and up until that time he remains a Groningen player, same with players on loans until the end of the season, they remain on loan until the season is completed, as the season may still be ongoing in June/July such players would still technically still be on loan. Same with players out of contract at the end of the season, that will come into force when the season has been played to a finish one way or another

I'd have thought that terms like "After the season" & "At the end of the season" etc are merely simplified terms used in informal discussions, newspeak, and forum chats. 
I'd be amazed if contracts, legal documents, and official agreements were not based on specific and stated dates? 

Edited by Mucker1884
14 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I'd have thought that terms like "After the season" & "At the end of the season" etc are merely simplified terms used in informal discussions, newspeak, and forum chats. 
I'd be amazed if contracts, legal documents, and official agreements were not based on specific and stated dates? 

But i would have thought the opposite "season long loan"meaning exactly that, the dates given as that would be the length of time when a "normal"season is brought to conclusion as they would no longer need the services of the player.

15 hours ago, atherstoneram said:

I don’t think so, you’ll see contracts stated “until the end of the season” - but they’ll still have a specified end date. That is, when the season is supposed to finish, at the end of June.