A list of over 100 football documentaries

TuffLuff

Been sent this by a mate. A kind soul has made a list of over 100 football documentaries for as and when self isolation, quarantine or a lockdown occurs. Thought it might be of useful in case anyone finds themselves in the unfortunate predicament

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One Night In Turin - available on amazon prime and not Netflix.

Les Bleus- Is not currently available on Netflix but has previously, hopefully it might return as I’d love to watch it 

Becoming Champions- on Netflix

I think all the Official World Cup films are on Prime? I’d already noted they were there last week.

Planet FIFA-prime

Take The Ball Pass The Ball- Prime but still £5.99 (Booooooo!)

Puskas Hungary- can’t find

89- can’t find

Great list.

Can recommend Kevin Allen's Italia 90. It's on Youtube, although I think about 20 mins of it is missing sound due to copyright unfortunately. 

Two Escobars is superb. I have it on DVD - cost about £3 these days.

One Night in Turin is also great. Can be found in certain online quarters...

Golazzo - Football Italia story on BT was a good trip down memory lane also - again can be found online...

I cannot remember the name of the program so someone on here might help. It was  on C4 or BBC i think about a german (or belgian) coach who goes to Africa to be national coach of one of the worst ranked country. It was fascinating and hilariousi in equal measure. It involved the coach going to scout players for the national team on the back of a moped. In another incident they play a qualifier away and because the FA has got no money they only booked one way flight. One of the best one footy documentaries i watched

1 hour ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

I cannot remember the name of the program so someone on here might help. It was  on C4 or BBC i think about a german (or belgian) coach who goes to Africa to be national coach of one of the worst ranked country. It was fascinating and hilariousi in equal measure. It involved the coach going to scout players for the national team on the back of a moped. In another incident they play a qualifier away and because the FA has got no money they only booked one way flight. One of the best one footy documentaries i watched

Was it on BBC 4 Storyville in 2014? Called Zoran and his African Tigers about a a Serbian coach who goes to South Sudan to coach their first national team. 

Maradona one was a bit meh on Channel 4 last night. Same bloke that did Senna and Winehouse. 

I think I didn’t like it because it was a bit tame. We already knew he was a coke head with links to the Comorra, I wanted some anecdotes.

7 hours ago, cannable said:

Maradona one was a bit meh on Channel 4 last night. Same bloke that did Senna and Winehouse. 

I think I didn’t like it because it was a bit tame. We already knew he was a coke head with links to the Comorra, I wanted some anecdotes.

I was quite enjoying it up until about half 10, then realised there was still another hour so gave up. 2 and a half hours with barely any narration!

I really liked the Maradona documentary on the other day on C4.

The close up shots of him playing are superb - skill you just don't see with the regular football camera angles.

Was a bit long though.

It reminded me of an old VHS I used to have called "Gary Linekers Dream Team: An Eleven to Beat the World". Was part of a Daily Telegraph and Walkers promotion before the 1998 World Cup.

I can't find it online anywhere but that had some exemplary footage of Maradona that I half expected to see in the documentary but didn't.  Would love to see that again.

32 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

I really liked the Maradona documentary on the other day on C4.

The close up shots of him playing are superb - skill you just don't see with the regular football camera angles.

Was a bit long though.

It reminded me of an old VHS I used to have called "Gary Linekers Dream Team: An Eleven to Beat the World". Was part of a Daily Telegraph and Walkers promotion before the 1998 World Cup.

I can't find it online anywhere but that had some exemplary footage of Maradona that I half expected to see in the documentary but didn't.  Would love to see that again.

I don't think I fully appreciated how good Maradona was. As a 28 year old, all I know is he is a cheating coke head who also took advantage of some of the worst defending I'd ever seen in the same game, didn't quite understand that he was simply that good.

• 3 weeks later...

We are entering our fifth week of lockdown here in Portugal and tedium is starting to set in.

I thought I’d take up the option of a free trial of Amazon Prime and watch the ‘Take Us Home’ documentary.

I have to say it missed the mark for me. I also recently watched Sunderland Til I Die and this felt honest and balanced to me. The Leeds one on Amazon felt more like propaganda.

In the Leeds doc, I didn’t feel there was any particular great insight or character development and the way it is presented just seemed completely tone deaf.

To anyone who hasn’t already watched it, don’t waste your time.

Archived