Sign in to follow this  
smiths_tavrn

Ridiculous decision to suspend the football season because of corona virus

No doubt I'm going to open up a hornets nest here but so what, it needs opening up. 

Seriously what is the point of suspending the season. All those folk who won't be attending football matches this weekend are going to stay at home and self isolate aren't they? Are they eckers like. They'll be in the Intu centre or getting tanked up in Wetherspoons. There's only one way you can stop the spread of any virus. Everybody goes home and self isolates and by everybody, I mean the whole word and that isn't going to happen is it?

I can safely say on Tuesday i will be neither in wetherspoons or the intu centre. 

I think some people will seek an alternative form of entertainment but the minority. 

Postponing football is not just about reducing the risk to  30000 supporters,  its about the staff and players and also about the easing the strain on emergency services.

3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I can safely say on Tuesday i will be neither in wetherspoons or the intu centre. 

I think some people will seek an alternative form of entertainment but the minority. 

Postponing football is not just about reducing the risk to  30000 supporters,  its about the staff and players and also about the easing the strain on emergency services.

But who cares about any of that? The Man has made it more difficult for some to indulge. 

14 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Never mind the Intu or Wetherspoons. Will you be self isolating now that you won't be attending a football match? I suspect not. And what's the point of self isolating unless everyone self isolates. Serious question.

33 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

No doubt I'm going to open up a hornets nest here but so what, it needs opening up. 

Seriously what is the point of suspending the season. All those folk who won't be attending football matches this weekend are going to stay at home and self isolate aren't they? Are they eckers like. They'll be in the Intu centre or getting tanked up in Wetherspoons. There's only one way you can stop the spread of any virus. Everybody goes home and self isolates and by everybody, I mean the whole word and that isn't going to happen is it?

And that's exactly the reason the Government gave for not canceling. I happen to agree we should have played on. The EFL went too early. 

48 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

The only good thing I can think to come out of this is the football season is cancelled, they suspend promotion and relegation thereby Leeds don't get promotion ha ha ha ha. Now that would be funny.

The government stance was, and for now, still is, they’re not cancelling mass crowd events. This is a decision made by the football league. 

Some will say they’re doing what the government should have done in the first place. I don’t agree with that, and I don’t think they are. 

i think they’re suspending it because so many players and staff have presented with symptoms now, that most of the games on the weekend would have been postponed anyway, because the teams are having to self isolate due to exposure. 

The crowds can turn up. There is no legislation to say they can’t, they’re just wouldn’t be anything to watch. 

Same with F1, it’s in the paddock, so just like at your work place, if someone in your office gets it, you’re all going to be sent home. It’s not about not getting the crowd together, it’s about suspending the actual teams. 

And once They’re in isolation, they’re there for 2 weeks. 

Not all teams are effected, so some games could go ahead. But enough teams are effected that you might as well just suspend the season for everyone, and hopefully get kick Corona virus out of football, and hopefully go again when every footballer tests negative. 

2 hours ago, smiths_tavrn said:

I'd go inside places like the Intu first. A fraction of the footfall compared to this time 2 weeks ago and it'll be even quieter come Monday. 

Just now, Uptherams said:

I'd go inside places like the Intu first. A fraction of the footfall compared to this time 2 weeks ago and it'll be even quieter come Monday. 

If you think about it logically. If football is shut down then all forms of public transport should be shut down. Anywhere where people are in confined spaces. Pubs, nightclubs, shops, schools, universities, churches, mosques, every public place should be shut down if its a serious as they're making out. What makes these places different to football stadiums? OK I get it that government hasn't closed football stadiums down but the consistency still remains. But is it as serious as they're making out? I don't think so. I think there's a lot of misinformation being spread here. I saw someone mention forced inoculation. Heaven forbid. I'm staggered that anyone could support such a notion.

31 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

If you think about it logically. If football is shut down then all forms of public transport should be shut down. Anywhere where people are in confined spaces. Pubs, nightclubs, shops, schools, universities, churches, mosques, every public place should be shut down if its a serious as they're making out. What makes these places different to football stadiums? OK I get it that government hasn't closed football stadiums down but the consistency still remains. But is it as serious as they're making out? I don't think so. I think there's a lot of misinformation being spread here. I saw someone mention forced inoculation. Heaven forbid. I'm staggered that anyone could support such a notion.

The government has access to epidemic and pandemic simulations and so do all the big tech companies. You'd be surprised by how little people cross paths with a different pool of people on a day to day basis. We are creatures of habit, but mass gatherings such as those that are random or irregular like a football match or a music festival or a concert, take people out of these small pockets.

Just as an example and not accurate, most people use their own car to get about in the week and considering how average vehicle occupancy is something like 1.7, it's easy to assume that the average person has had only 1-2 people other than themselves in their car in that week. The average person also won't enter more than a 1-2 other people's houses in that week too. They go to the same workplace, just like everyone else. Their kids go to the same school, 5 days a week. They go to the same social club or gym or pub. They get their food at the same places and usually the same days and same times, every week. The average person from week to week, doesn't come across many new people. Whether they noticed or not, almost all these people have been around them, near them or gone to the same places as them for months and years. 

In situations like this people hunker down even more. They stick to habit more so. 

Timeline on Google Maps gives people a snippet of their movements. 

13 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Some of us are about to lose our jobs, some will lose their lives, over this so a few football fans whining because they lack the imagination to find something else to do on a Saturday can go duck themselves. 

You've just made a brilliant point. People will lose their jobs over this. For something that's probably less severe than a cold.

8 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

They not cancealed horse racing have which had 50k of people and yet let others sports go ahead I am hacked off about it.

The grand national has been cancelled hasn’t it?

22 minutes ago, Boycie said:

The grand national has been cancelled hasn’t it?

The warnings were delayed just long enough for the Cheltenham festival to go ahead. $$$

A little perspective is needed here!!

All those that think this is a farce will continue to do so until the Covid 19 or Coronavirus (Whatever you want to call it) actually effects either a loved one or someone close to home. 

This is real and Football (whilst we all love it) really isn’t that important. 

I find it baffling that anyone thinks governments, sporting governing bodies and Airlines have got this wrong. I agree totally with the suspension of fixtures if it means my family and the risk posed to them is reduced by these actions. 

Get real people 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

20 hours ago, smiths_tavrn said:

Never mind the Intu or Wetherspoons. Will you be self isolating now that you won't be attending a football match? I suspect not. And what's the point of self isolating unless everyone self isolates. Serious question.

You won't be able to go to Intu much longer either if you read the reports of their potential imminent collapse 

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

You won't be able to go to Intu much longer either if you read the reports of their potential imminent collapse 

This won't help either.  feel so sorry for people who could lose their jobs through this.