Sign in to follow this  
Rambam

Left Hand Free?

Posted (edited)

Did I hear Eric Steele saying we had seven left footed players on the field v Rovers? 
That’s got to pose major problems for opponents surely? 😆

Edited by Rambam

Just now, Rambam said:

Did I hear Eric Steel saying we had seven left footed players on the field v Rovers? 

Clarke, Forsyth, Bird, Shinnie, Sibley, Waghorn, Whittaker

Posted (edited)

I normally leave the left hand free, it’s easier that way - though I’ve heard some say it’s better to swap round every now and then...

Oh, we’re talking about football?

Edited by Millenniumram

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rambam said:

Did I hear Eric Steele saying we had seven left footed players on the field v Rovers? 

Statistically of course that's highly unusual but in a very positive way. A couple of years ago I listened to a very good broadcast by England cricket's analyst Simon Hughes who had found some research showing that statistically left-handed batsman were disproportionately represented amongst internationals cricketers and he followed up by interviewing a Cambridge University Neurologist who had carried out neurological research which demonstrated that left-handers have a thicker corpus callosum connecting their left and right brain hemispheres. This means that communication between the visuo-spatial areas of the brain is quicker in the brains of left-handers than in right handers and gives them greater proprioception, which basically gives them an advantage in sport. In short, left-handers perceive and visualise situations quicker. So, 7 left-footers can only be a very good thing. 

Link to article:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/simon-hughes-on-the-secret-behind-left-handers-success-they-can-use-more-of-their-brains-ghbfvf797

Edited by Ellafella

I think you’ve got a point @Ellafella, I’d imagine the same applies to guitarists - there’s a disproportionate amount of lefties that make it. Wonder if applies to creativity as well as hand-eye coordination? 

3 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Statistically of course that's highly unusual but in a very positive way. A couple of years ago I listened to a very good broadcast by England cricket's analyst Simon Hughes who had found some research showing that statistically left-handed batsman were disproportionately represented amongst internationals cricketers and he followed up by interviewing a Cambridge University Neurologist who had carried out neurological research which demonstrated that left-handers have a thicker corpus callosum connecting their left and right brain hemispheres. This means that communication between the visuo-spatial areas of the brain is quicker in the brains of left-handers than in right handers and gives them greater proprioception, which basically gives them an advantage in sport. In short, left-handers perceive and visualise situations quicker. So, 7 left-footers can only be a very good thing. 

Link to article:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/simon-hughes-on-the-secret-behind-left-handers-success-they-can-use-more-of-their-brains-ghbfvf797

I thought the cricket thing was more that as left handers were less common, they got a slight advantage as the bowlers/batters they went up against were used to playing against right handers?

My younger brother Mozza is left handed and he's great at the things he's good at.

He used to knock spots off me at any sport.

That's why I've always had such boyish good looks!

7 hours ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

Years ago I remember some boffin doing research that the average IQ of a left handed person was about 10% higher than a right handed one. 

Weird stat... Over the past 100 years, 47% of US presidents have been left handed, vs about 10% in the general population. 

Them lefties certainly have something.

Just now, Srg said:

Left footed and right handed checking in. Must be a few of us weirdos about. 

I know a few like that, and also a few the other way round, left handed and right footed. 

21 minutes ago, Srg said:

Left footed and right handed checking in. Must be a few of us weirdos about. 

My mate is a natural leftie, but at school they forced him to learn to write right-handed. So he kicks with his left and flicks Vs with his right!

33 minutes ago, minesahartington said:

McEnroe connors nadal Seles Navratilova 

All the greats left handed. 

Borg, Djokovic Murray Federer Sampras Agassi Becker Lendl  and that is just the men...

All is a very big three letter word 🙂