Left Hand Free?

Rambam

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rambam said:

Did I hear Eric Steele saying we had seven left footed players on the field v Rovers? 
That’s got to pose major problems for opponents surely? ?

Statistically of course that's highly unusual but in a very positive way. A couple of years ago I listened to a very good broadcast by England cricket's analyst Simon Hughes who had found some research showing that statistically left-handed batsman were disproportionately represented amongst internationals cricketers and he followed up by interviewing a Cambridge University Neurologist who had carried out neurological research which demonstrated that left-handers have a thicker corpus callosum connecting their left and right brain hemispheres. This means that communication between the visuo-spatial areas of the brain is quicker in the brains of left-handers than in right handers and gives them greater proprioception, which basically gives them an advantage in sport. In short, left-handers perceive and visualise situations quicker. So, 7 left-footers can only be a very good thing. 

Link to article:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/simon-hughes-on-the-secret-behind-left-handers-success-they-can-use-more-of-their-brains-ghbfvf797

3 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Statistically of course that's highly unusual but in a very positive way. A couple of years ago I listened to a very good broadcast by England cricket's analyst Simon Hughes who had found some research showing that statistically left-handed batsman were disproportionately represented amongst internationals cricketers and he followed up by interviewing a Cambridge University Neurologist who had carried out neurological research which demonstrated that left-handers have a thicker corpus callosum connecting their left and right brain hemispheres. This means that communication between the visuo-spatial areas of the brain is quicker in the brains of left-handers than in right handers and gives them greater proprioception, which basically gives them an advantage in sport. In short, left-handers perceive and visualise situations quicker. So, 7 left-footers can only be a very good thing. 

Link to article:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/simon-hughes-on-the-secret-behind-left-handers-success-they-can-use-more-of-their-brains-ghbfvf797

I thought the cricket thing was more that as left handers were less common, they got a slight advantage as the bowlers/batters they went up against were used to playing against right handers?

7 hours ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

Years ago I remember some boffin doing research that the average IQ of a left handed person was about 10% higher than a right handed one. 

Weird stat... Over the past 100 years, 47% of US presidents have been left handed, vs about 10% in the general population. 

Them lefties certainly have something.

21 minutes ago, Srg said:

Left footed and right handed checking in. Must be a few of us weirdos about. 

My mate is a natural leftie, but at school they forced him to learn to write right-handed. So he kicks with his left and flicks Vs with his right!

33 minutes ago, minesahartington said:

McEnroe connors nadal Seles Navratilova 

All the greats left handed. 

Borg, Djokovic Murray Federer Sampras Agassi Becker Lendl  and that is just the men...

All is a very big three letter word ?

Archived