v Millwall (A) - Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 09/03/2020 at 17:24, IslandExile said:

Hamer flapped at a few versus Blackburn that would have had the boo boys out in force were it Roos.

To be fair, I think quite a few of us ‘boo’ boys  have commented on it. His silly punch did lead to a great attack tho! 

FWIW just because I don’t rate Roos doesn’t mean I rate Hamer. I just think he’s less dodgy on crosses. Also he made some very good long passes against Blackburn. 

23 minutes ago, Raich Van Carter said:

FWIW just because I don’t rate Roos doesn’t mean I rate Hamer. I just think he’s less dodgy on crosses. Also he made some very good long passes against Blackburn. 

And it seems the defence are more confident with him as keeper? They know what he might do whether successful or not?

3 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I think we're all agreed that a new keeper is needed.

As long as they're not scouted by whoever it was who recommended we make a move for Simon Sluga.

10 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Or Dawkins at Wednesday that we were linked with and who makes mistakes in every game I see him play.

I wonder what we will do with Carson when/if he comes back. He is painfully slow with distribution but if we are playing out from the back nice and easy it might suit Cocu ball. And he has great hands 

20 minutes ago, jono said:

I wonder what we will do with Carson when/if he comes back. He is painfully slow with distribution but if we are playing out from the back nice and easy it might suit Cocu ball. And he has great hands 

Will never play for us again, I'd be 99% sure of that.

2 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Forest players tested negative for Coronavirus (shame), so guess that means Millwall players won't have it either (unless they met the chairman). Game probably will go ahead it seems to me.

Hope so otherwise I'll have a cheap train ticket on eBay.

2 minutes ago, Archied said:

The way the game is now would we be better finding a player to turn into a keeper rather than trying to turn keepers into players?

Good thinking... It may be the only position Rooney will be able to play next season when we have Bird, Shinnie, Holmes, Knight and Sibley fighting for the 3 positions in midfield.

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Good thinking... It may be the only position Rooney will be able to play next season when we have Bird, Shinnie, Holmes, Knight and Sibley fighting for the 3 positions in midfield.

It’s a thought?

interesting one also is how does Holmes who was really comming on before his injury get back in the team?

3 hours ago, Archied said:

It’s a thought?

interesting one also is how does Holmes who was really comming on before his injury get back in the team?

A better problem to have, I think.  We can have midfielders on the bench that can change game plans if things aren’t working out

Same team for me, no need to change anything after one of the best performances of the season:

Hamer

Bogle Wisdom Clarke Forsyth 

Shinnie Bird

Waghorn Sibley Knight

Martin

Goes without saying we need to be winning this game to keep our season alive. Hopefully we can go there and get a nice, efficient win, and we can all go home happy. It should be possible, but Millwall are a tricky team. We all know Rowett is the ultimate poohouse merchant, so if we allow them to do what they do best, then we’ll be in real danger. On the other hand, we also know Rowett is quite heavily reliant on playing on the counter - if we can somehow restrict their chances in that respect, then we stand a decent chance. Especially if we get the first goal - I seem to remember under Rowett we almost always won it we scored first, and almost always lost if we conceded first. We absolutely HAVE to come out flying and get the first goal, that is absolutely vital Imo. 

Rowett ain’t thick either, he’ll know our weaknesses on crosses. We really need to make sure we’ve been practicing defending/stopping them all week, and we need to make sure we’ve got enough men tracking back as well to cope with their overload in wide areas - especially focusing on doing everything we can to stop Wallace having any impact, he’s some player. Gotta be prepared for the hoofball that is undoubtedly coming as well, need to be making sure we’re winning those headers in and around the box. I want to see us go out like our season depends on it - because it does, simply put. I want to see that high energy pressing that we saw at Wednesday when they’re in possession to try and force the errors, and also closing them down in our half so they don’t even get a second of free time and space to do anything. Do all of that, and remain calm and play our natural possession based game, and hopefully we will stand a decent chance. COYR!

14 hours ago, Archied said:

It’s a thought?

Once he's fully fit, I'd swap him for Knight. Better to have Holmes out wide than on the bench. Then again, Lawrence will probably be back soon...

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Same team for me, no need to change anything after one of the best performances of the season:

Hamer

Bogle Wisdom Clarke Forsyth 

Shinnie Bird

Waghorn Sibley Knight

Martin

Goes without saying we need to be winning this game to keep our season alive. Hopefully we can go there and get a nice, efficient win, and we can all go home happy. It should be possible, but Millwall are a tricky team. We all know Rowett is the ultimate poohouse merchant, so if we allow them to do what they do best, then we’ll be in real danger. On the other hand, we also know Rowett is quite heavily reliant on playing on the counter - if we can somehow restrict their chances in that respect, then we stand a decent chance. Especially if we get the first goal - I seem to remember under Rowett we almost always won it we scored first, and almost always lost if we conceded first. We absolutely HAVE to come out flying and get the first goal, that is absolutely vital Imo. 

Rowett ain’t thick either, he’ll know our weaknesses on crosses. We really need to make sure we’ve been practicing defending/stopping them all week, and we need to make sure we’ve got enough men tracking back as well to cope with their overload in wide areas - especially focusing on doing everything we can to stop Wallace having any impact, he’s some player. Gotta be prepared for the hoofball that is undoubtedly coming as well, need to be making sure we’re winning those headers in and around the box. I want to see us go out like our season depends on it - because it does, simply put. I want to see that high energy pressing that we saw at Wednesday when they’re in possession to try and force the errors, and also closing them down in our half so they don’t even get a second of free time and space to do anything. Do all of that, and remain calm and play our natural possession based game, and hopefully we will stand a decent chance. COYR!

The squad will be looked at in training plus in relation to any specific tactic or individuals the management think will be a particular threat. Its a squad game from Phillip Cocus point of view. Don't be disappointed if Rooney & Lawrence come in for this.

9 minutes ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

The squad will be looked at in training plus in relation to any specific tactic or individuals the management think will be a particular threat. Its a squad game from Phillip Cocus point of view. Don't be disappointed if Rooney & Lawrence come in for this.

Rooney is the captain, so I don’t really mind him coming back in if he’s fit. Can’t help but feel maybe Lawrence should be coming off the bench instead, but I may be proven wrong. No one really deserves to be dropped, including him for his form before his injury. Tough call for Cocu, but I do expect both will return.

35 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Rooney is the captain, so I don’t really mind him coming back in if he’s fit. Can’t help but feel maybe Lawrence should be coming off the bench instead, but I may be proven wrong. No one really deserves to be dropped, including him for his form before his injury. Tough call for Cocu, but I do expect both will return.

Agree no one deserves to be dropped - But I like Cocu's approach of bringing in the 'right players for the job' (at least in theory)

Milwall away you want seasoned pros - People who are gonna be less intimidated by the crowd and can deal with Rowett-ball done by a side well know for being hard and ruthless - I know young players have to experience Milwall away at some point, but would rather it wasn't quite so early when they're probably all on a high

All the big lads at the back for me (Wisdom, Davies, Clarke, Fozzy), experience in the middle (Shinnie and Rooney) and up top (Waggers, Martin, Lawrence) - Then toss up between Bird (for the talent) or Evans (to protect Bird)

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Agree no one deserves to be dropped - But I like Cocu's approach of bringing in the 'right players for the job' (at least in theory)

Milwall away you want seasoned pros - People who are gonna be less intimidated by the crowd and can deal with Rowett-ball done by a side well know for being hard and ruthless - I know young players have to experience Milwall away at some point, but would rather it wasn't quite so early when they're probably all on a high

All the big lads at the back for me (Wisdom, Davies, Clarke, Fozzy), experience in the middle (Shinnie and Rooney) and up top (Waggers, Martin, Lawrence) - Then toss up between Bird (for the talent) or Evans (to protect Bird)

I agree mostly however I feel we need someone with Sibleys aggression and bite for this game.

I'd like to see us line up

Hamer

Bogle   Wisdom   Clarke   Foz

Bird   Shinnie/Roo

Waghorn   Sibley   Lawrence

Martin

Archived