The future is bright....

nfb

For what it's worth I think Cocu has had an interesting season, he was or is blighted with injuries, took his time to get to know his  entire squad gave pretty much all of them a chance... some/lots complained about his constant swapping and changing, some of which were forced on him by injuries some were his decision,  but I believe that he is firstly a man with a plan, secondly a technical manager, and he wanted to implant his vision on both the 1st team and the Academy, his tinkerings were part of that process, he and Mel have a shared view I believe about the future, i remember in Mels early days him saying that his view for the future was being in the prem with 2 or 3 home grown players in the squad, i was excited.... under different managers i felt that vision was sidelined to a degree In the push for promotion, but now I feel we are back on track and for me, I'm excited again. In previous seasons I was concerned that should we have got promoted we would have struggled, as while Mel may be wealthy, he isnt premier league wealthy, and lots of supporters would have got quickly disgruntled about losing probably blaming Mel or the manager. Now I feel that things are looking much healthier, Mels early investments in the Academy are beginning to bear  some great fruit, the gap between them and the first team has been reduced meaning a constant supply of talent for years to come, and the fact that kids in the Academy can see that if they do the business the progress to the 1st team is open many will want to join Derby.... Investment looks close, which will surely help should we need to buy that 30 million pound Striker!

Cocu now knows his entire squad inside out, where he needs to improve, and the type of players he needs to do that, the summer transfers will be intriguing knowing how fickle the market is, but in conclusion, I really cant wait for next season. I know this one isn't over and we have an outside chance of the playoffs but either way, next season and beyond will be an exciting time to be a Derby fan. ?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, nfb said:

For what it's worth...................

Yeah, have to agree with you.  We don’t have the insight into his chopping and changing but I like to think it is as you say,  to get to know his squad inside out.  Some of the poor results maybe coming from trying different tactics with different players etc. The Cocu out brigade, I think just didn’t factor all this in, after the kind of football we played at Hillsborough and at Pride Park yesterday shows IMO that the potential of a great footballing team may soon be realised.  
His critics seem to now be in the small minority of die hards but the weight in their arguments are losing momentum.

Patience for a new manager with a plan, is easily promised but difficult to grant, it seems.  I am also exited to see where this takes us, none of us are immune to disappointment along the way of course,  but watching the difference in class between us and Blackburn’s play off hopefuls made me proud to be a Ram.

Archived