The Chase for a play-off places

plymouthram

1 hour ago, atherstoneram said:

Not being negative at all but do we want a play off place, lets finish in the top 10 and wrap the season up on the last day. Cocu then gets a longer pre season to dot the i's and cross the t's so we are ready and raring to go in August

Always want a playoff place. Unless there is a chance of automatic. No brainer. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, plymouthram said:

With 9 games to go, Leeds and West Brom seem to be in the driving seats for automatic promotion. So lets look at the chances of the rest of the current top half of the table's chances of making the play-off places. FULHAM with a current 4pt cushion over 4th placed team have 6 games still to play against sides still in the top half, Brentford(H), Leeds(A), QPR(A), Forest(A), Cardiff(H) and WBA(A). BRENTFORD currently on 60pts have only 4 teams in top half to play, Fulham(A), WBA(H), Derby(A) and Preston(H). FOREST also on 60pts have 5 games against top half to play, Bristol(H), Derby(A), Fulham(H)Preston(A) and Swansea(H). PRESTON in 6th spot on 56pts also have 5 games against top half to play, Cardiff(H), Derby(H), Forest(H), Brentford(A) and Bristol(A).  BRISTOL CITY on 55pts have 5 games with top half teams, Blackburn(A), Forest(A), Cardiff(H), Swansea(A) and Preston(H). MILLWALL on 54pts have 4 teams in the top half, Derby(H), Swansea(H), Blackburn(H), and QPR(A). CARDIFF also on 54pts have 6 of the top half Leeds(H), Preston(A), Bristol(A), Blackburn(H), Fulham(A) and Derby(H). BLACKBURN on 53pts have 5 top half teams to play, Bristol(H), Leeds(H), Cardiff(A) WBA(H) and Millwall(A). SWANSEA also on 53pts have 4 matches against top half, Millwall(A), Leeds(H), Forest(A) and Bristol(H). Derby on 51pts have 7 teams in the top half to play, Millwall(A), Preston(A), Forest(H), WBA(A), Brentford(H), Cardiff(A) and Leeds(H). QPR on 50pts have just 3 from the top half, Fulham(H), Millwall(H) and WBA(A).

Looking at those matches to play Derby and Fulham have the toughest end of season fixtures. Fulham could lose their 4 point gap and be overtaken on 3rd spot, but I feel they have enough quality to stay in the top 6. Brentford should stay in the top 6 with only 4 tough fixtures and have scored 64 goals this season only conceding 33. Forest have a tough run in and depending on their home form might hang in there. Preston are catching the jitters of late and look like they could miss out with 5 tough games out of 9 to play. Bristol City have been hit and miss of late and could also miss out in closing in on the top 6. Millwall are one of the in form teams of late and depending on their home form could slip into the top 6. Cardiff have, of late only beaten teams at the bottom of the table, they draw too many games for me and with 6 games against teams at the top will fade away. Blackburn with only 2 wins in their last 8 matches  seemed to also gone off the boil and could continue to fade away. Swansea barring Millwall are the lowest scorers in the top half and I feel this will stop them getting into the top 6. QPR are the most inconsistant team in the top half and leak goals and only 2 teams in the league have conceded more than their 62 goals. Derby are one of the form teams and since the arrival of Rooney have only tasted defeat in the league 3 times scoring 25 league goals having scored in every game played since Wayne made his debut in the Barnsley match. But the big question is can they keep it up. The records show that the team finishing 6th would at least need around 74pts or probably more. I going to predict that the Rams will finish 8th, I hope I'm wrong, because this is a weak Championship this season.

To late for us forget it, 74 points as you say will be the bench mark,that means we need 23 points from a possible 27 it aint going to happen

58 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

That confuses me - so we aren't 5 points off then ???

The league table is one of those magic eye things ???

That's the point - it's a table. We're 5 points and 5 teams away from 6. If you're 5 points away and one place behind, you're relying on one team to slip, not 6.

1 hour ago, ramboy63 said:

To late for us forget it, 74 points as you say will be the bench mark,that means we need 23 points from a possible 27 it aint going to happen

I'm not saying that until it can't happen, I'd hope the team play like that too.

2 hours ago, Duracell said:

That's the point - it's a table. We're 5 points and 5 teams away from 6. If you're 5 points away and one place behind, you're relying on one team to slip, not 6.

Yes very important point. Expecting all those above us to achieve less than ourselves is quite optimistic. 

10 minutes ago, europia said:

Yes very important point. Expecting all those above us to achieve less than ourselves is quite optimistic. 

Surely it's better for us (if we play well and get lots of points) that there are lots of other teams competing for 'each others' points?

Realistically it is unlikely that we can make 6th and 6th is the only spot up for grabs.....as some have already mentioned its the fact there are 6 teams to overtake but the fact we are playing a few of them basically means we need to win all of those games...if we can beat Millwall away on saturday that will be a start meaning that 1 of the 6 will be on level points with us with 8 to play...it is a tough ask but that is the benefit of the play offs i guess...if it were top 3 as used to be our season would've been over a few weeks ago.

I know its a massive cliche but lets start with one game at a time ...beat Millwall on saturday and its a good start then look at Reading at home and win that ....2 wins and it will start to look a real possibility 

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Surely it's better for us (if we play well and get lots of points) that there are lots of other teams competing for 'each others' points?

Obviously I would like us to win the majority of our remaining games and hope the teams above and around us take points off one another. Our away form would need be significantly transformed, for it to happen. 

21 hours ago, atherstoneram said:

Not being negative at all but do we want a play off place, lets finish in the top 10 and wrap the season up on the last day. Cocu then gets a longer pre season to dot the i's and cross the t's so we are ready and raring to go in August

In a funny kind of way I'm with you. Obviously wed all like to get promoted but we are no where near ready for the premier. 11 points would be a massive achievement with this squad. 

On 09/03/2020 at 09:52, Mucker1884 said:

I'm with @Squid on this.
keep expectations and hope to a minimum.

...And if we do make it, he can eat my socks too!

Don’t panic @Squid .... You can both send all your socks round to my house. The dog eats socks .. loves them, clean, smelly, nicked from drawers. I have a special box in the corner of the bedroom with all the odd ones. Every so often I try and put pairs back together .. it’s either that, go sockless or wait for Christmas to come round. If we go up I will donate this box to a charity of your choice (or you can eat them too, the choice is yours ) 

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but has anyone seen the Derby Telegraph's score predictor for the rest of the season? (link below) 

I'm not the best at predicting the outcome of games but nevertheless I've had a go at predicting this unpredictable league and, having seriously tried to be unbiased about everyone's remaining games, I got us finishing 7th with a draw at Birmingham but, if I'd have put us down for a win instead, we'd have finished 6th - it's going to be an interesting end to the season and especially if we win against Millwall and Reading! 

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/Derby-county-play-off-predictor-3930664

Just done my predictions and this is what I have the table at before the final day:image.png.094a3344cbb447b3175b783e0553acb8.png

Would be madness, 9 teams could get in or out of the play offs ? This is what I have it looking like at the end of the season:

image.png.9cde25fbe0f34279a7ec2a89f0816829.png

Ahhhh ffs, I don't think I can go through that again 

19 hours ago, Dethorn said:

That confuses me - so we aren't 5 points off then ???

The league table is one of those magic eye things ???

If we were 7th and 5 points behind Preston in 6th we'd only have to catch one team..PNE...but we're not .. we're 12th and have to catch 6 teams.. which is I think you'll agree  more difficult....do you understand now?

Archived