I’ve loved watching the young lads break through this season and, if you’d told me so many would have first team involvement at this point in the season a year ago, I’d have laughed. Brilliant from the club 

I’ve seen it asked a bit but think it warrants its own topic... who is next out of the academy? Used to seeing knight, bird, sibley , Whittaker, Lowe and Bogle in the squad each week but surely there are others who are close?

10 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Archie Brown will be the next one to look out for IMO. Cocu apparently rates him very highly and often involves him in first team training.

His stature and power for his age is incredible. Looks very versatile too.

Archie Brown is a good swiss army knife. I can see him progressing through nicely, especially as he's an easy option for the bench. It's a shame Delap decided to head to City as he was really a talented and he's carried it through. 

I think I heard Liam Thompson was really highly rated too. He's not one that is as eye catching as the others, but seems to bit of Max Bird about him. I'd like to see MIchell-Lawson or Tyree Wilson breakthrough purely as we have a requirement for a wide player. 

15 minutes ago, Xlor said:

Any attackers in the mix? 

That Rushian Hepburn-Murphy looks good, scored 2 on Saturday. He's 21 and on loan from Villa. Out of contract in the Summer, so could be taken on as a freebie and teased into the 1st team.

Festy Ebosele is the one I’ve got my eye on most in the youth teams in terms of having a high potential, but he’s still quite young and might be a season or two away yet. In terms of players that might breakthrough and become first team regulars next season, there’s no one standing out to me right now that we haven’t already seen at least a little of in the first team squad this season. Think next season will be more about seeing the young lads who’ve been on the periphery of the first team this season establish themselves as more regular fixtures in the 18/ starting 11. Players like Buchanan, Whittaker and Sibley I think we might see much more of next season than we have this year. There’s also obviously Mitchell-Lawson coming back from loan, who you would hope will return as a first team player if we decide to keep him - and maybe even Ravas might get a look in with our goalkeeper troubles too.

The next one to step up will probably come from either..

Archie Brown,  JML or Festy Ebosele 

All are standouts now, for their consistency, and can also produce moments of brilliance

I think it’s a wonderful sight to behold, seeing our heavy investment in our Academy starting to pay great dividends. What does sadden me is the knee jerk wrist slashers bemoaning a lull in our stature and forward progression - in particular the, what I see, assassination of our manager Phillip Cocu. He was bought in to post specifically to implement this ‘change’ in philosophy and I can’t think of a better person to deliver the change than Cocu - he has ‘form’ for nurturing younger players through to becoming established 1st XI players. 
Think back a few seasons ago, Paul Clement was bought in to do exactly the same job, but perhaps that crop of youngsters, weren’t quite good enough, as there are very few of them left - together with the fact Clement seemed to move away from the concept that Mel Morris employed him to undertake and that is the reason why he was sacked. Look where he is now,,,, a failed manager and finished as far as I see it.  Maybe he wasn’t the real desktop deliver it anyway, but Cocu certInly is. 
I also think that some of our supporters are genuinely ‘wastelands’ in football knowledge - an example being Max Bird. When he first appeared, to me it was obviously too early for him, but you could see he had something for someone so young. He was berated and classed as ‘useless’ by the usual troll suspects and written off as ever making the grade.  Look at him now, a much more physically matured player with talent in abundance and probably if not the first name in the team sheet, certainly second or third !!. Those same trolls are doing and saying the exact same about Whittaker as they did about Bird - give the lad a bloody chance, he’s only just stepping up to first team fringes and needs another year or maybe a loan out to get some proper game time, toughen up a bit and develop his undoubted talent against hardened professionals. 
Look a Knight, a wonderful young player , perhaps needs this season to hone his craft a little mir, but a star in the making. Sibley is a wonder kid, just like Hughes was, but even better than Hughes was. Has everything in his locker that Hughes lacked and the best thing is, he’s a life long Derby fan from Stapenhill, Burton, so as he says himself, he’s been wanting to play for ‘his’ team all his life - how utterly marvellous for him and us alike. I’m sure the big Prem clubs are already airing up for him, but he’s a level headed young man and think he’ll be around for a few years yet. People can laugh if they like, but I’ll tell you now, he’ll be an England player in a few years and I hope he’s still a Derby player when he makes his debut. 

Many supporters Who I know and chat to, who’ve been watching Derby for as many years as I have, through the good, the bad and the down right bloody ugly are as excited as I am about the next 1/2/3/4 years. 

So message to all the trolls, ‘wrist slashers’ and Cocu badgers, is just shut up, look at the bigger picture and get ready to go and order a big slice of humble pie,,,,,,  oh and another thing,,,,,,, just shut up !!! 

Thanks to Mel Morris, for seeing the bigger picture too !! 🐑😃 

Brilliant these players are our future and you could say 4 are ready now.

They all need to be regulars next season they have everything and will get better and better.

We need to build the team around them.

Another post above which applauds the young players whilst analysing Will Hughes for Supposed  “short comings”?

I remember telling someone that Will Hughes had no pace, couldn’t tackle, didn’t score, and was no good in the air........but he was the best player on the pitch by a country mile.
When someone produces a pass like he did for Darren Bent then they are worthy of direct comparison. Until then.....it’s like comparing chalk and cheese. knight brings energy, movement, bravery and intelligence. Sibley brings drive, aggression, and desire. Bird brings composure, direction, and quick passing. Hughesy was Hughesy and I’d take him back tomorrow. These three are terrific but - as Brian clough would say - there’s always room for class. 

Oh yeah...who’s next? 

we are going to have trouble working out how to accommodate some of these players. For example, ebosele and bogle.
Jason brown has a chance in holding midfield but it might be interesting to move max Lowe into that role at some point. Not sure he has the energy but he has the touch, the intelligence and probably the short range passing skills. Bird and shinnie, or bird and brown, or bird and bielik, or bird and Lowe? Or just bird on his own!

Whittaker is a talent but could also be hard to accommodate. He looks like a no10 deep lying striker to me. 

13 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Another post above which applauds the young players whilst analysing Will Hughes for Supposed  “short comings”?

I remember telling someone that Will Hughes had no pace, couldn’t tackle, didn’t score, and was no good in the air........but he was the best player on the pitch by a country mile.
When someone produces a pass like he did for Darren Bent then they are worthy of direct comparison. Until then.....it’s like comparing chalk and cheese. knight brings energy, movement, bravery and intelligence. Sibley brings drive, aggression, and desire. Bird brings composure, direction, and quick passing. Hughesy was Hughesy and I’d take him back tomorrow. These three are terrific but - as Brian clough would say - there’s always room for class. 

Silbey and Stretton did a decent Hughes-Bent imitation in one of the UEFA Youth League games, if my memory is correct.

Hector-Ingram is banging the goals in and is 21 so must be near the 1st team squad, lad from villa is nearly 22 so same there if he signs

Saying that whittaker was scoring for fun but doesn't seem ready yet but it looks good if we can nurture them in

21 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Oh yeah...who’s next? 

we are going to have trouble working out how to accommodate some of these players. For example, ebosele and bogle.
Jason brown has a chance in holding midfield but it might be interesting to move max Lowe into that role at some point. Not sure he has the energy but he has the touch, the intelligence and probably the short range passing skills. Bird and shinnie, or bird and brown, or bird and bielik, or bird and Lowe? Or just bird on his own!

Whittaker is a talent but could also be hard to accommodate. He looks like a no10 deep lying striker to me. 

Max Lowe in central midfield?

23 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Have to be realistic, Ebosele is 17 years old, Bogle is a couple of years older. This only works if we move the odd player on for big fees, and if you have someone coming behind you who's as good or potentially better then that makes that easier. Can then reinvest that into the academy and also for positions we can't cover from within.

It is currently looking very good for having 50% academy players next season. Lowe, Bogle, Bird, Knight and Sibley. Though I maintain we cannot play Bogle and Lowe together. It is great to see our team featuring so many academy products. Players like Rooney and Martin can thrive with young energetic legs round them, while the youngsters continue to learn from the more experienced players. win/win for us.

On 09/03/2020 at 08:51, Srg said:

Have to be realistic, Ebosele is 17 years old, Bogle is a couple of years older. This only works if we move the odd player on for big fees, and if you have someone coming behind you who's as good or potentially better then that makes that easier. Can then reinvest that into the academy and also for positions we can't cover from within.

Agree. Admittedly only at the under 23 level so far, but Ebosele looks stronger defensively than Bogle and is looking less likely to get out-muscled as he gets older.

If the academy is going to be used as a bit of a production line this might be the first position that tests this theory.

Yep agree with that . Development only works if we are selling players and replacing with up and coming talent . Could we afford to sell a couple of young stars and still challenge next season ? . If not where are you going to play them ? 

Jordan brown I think must be edging closer can play either right back , left back or in defensive midfield he's good at set pieces and always looking comfortable on the ball we definitely have room for a utility player on our bench.