v Manchester United (H) - Matchday Thread

Sean

Judging by the reactions on here I thought we'd just decided to get 11 volunteers from the crowd to start today.

Nothing wrong with that team selection. Didn't even know Evans was fit again, but still think we'll be alright.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Andicis said:

A strong case? From what? He's had a few decent performances there, a few dodgy ones. Wouldn't say it's a strong case for him being first choice though.

He played there for a couple of games last season and in pre-season. Didn’t put a foot wrong in any of those games and played some very good balls out from the back 

Looking forward to this now. Giving our best youngsters a runout before a full house and against a decent team; if I was in the Academy I would be thinking this is a club prepared to blood youth. If you are good enough, you are old enough. COYR!

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The thing is, we don't really have anything to play for in the league either. I'm happy to see young players come through, but also the lack of centre halves and Waggy as CF is questionable.

Totally get it, I just don't think getting het up over today's teen selection (I wanted to say team selection, but autocorrect is actually more accurate for a change!)  is worthwhile.

I also appreciate that the emotional reaction is warranted, but hey, I've learned well  over the years to distance my emotions  and football from one another!

I think the last time football caused me genuine stress / distress was Thorne getting his ACL injury in pre season, I do believe I headbutted the wall a couple of times! 

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He played there for a couple of games last season and in pre-season. Didn’t put a foot wrong in any of those games and played some very good balls out from the back 

For a very small sample size. That doesn't give him a strong case, he's just come back from injury, he shouldn't come straight back in for this game.

14 minutes ago, rynny said:

Or this;

Or this

Roos

Bogle           -                  -     Lowe+Forsyth

Evans Bird

Rooney Sibley            Knight

Waghorn                  -                   Lawrence

1 minute ago, Crazy said:

Or this

Roos

Bogle           -                  -     Lowe+Forsyth

Evans Bird

Rooney Sibley            Knight

Waghorn                  -                   Lawrence

Love that! Splicing together Lowe and Forsyth to create a single super LB is sheer genius. Bet Manure won't see that coming! 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

For a very small sample size. That doesn't give him a strong case, he's just come back from injury, he shouldn't come straight back in for this game.

The competition at CB isn’t great. He recently played for the U23s so it’s not like he’s coming straight in after injury

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The competition at CB isn’t great. He recently played for the U23s so it’s not like he’s coming straight in after injury

Straight back into first team action against the 5th best team in the country. It doesn't seem like there is a good reason for not picking at least one of the first choice centre halves for this game, unless there is fitness concerns.

Pleased to see Evans at CB & Sibley at (presumably) number 10, I suspect this is a bit of a dry run for next season for both. 

Proud also that 5 Academy lads are in that first XI against such a strong opponent. Let's give a bloody good account of ourselves ??

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Frankly he looked out of his depth when he played for the U23s. I know he is returning from injury but I don’t see him coping well tonight. Would love to be proved wrong though. Like most on here my reaction to the team selection was a cross between flabbergasted and disappointed, but whoever wears a ram on their shirt will get my support.

Archived