Season ticket renewals (Deadline extended)

Tamworthram

3 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

First time in 26 years of having a season ticket that I'm considering not renewing.

Not because of where we are in the league because we've been in a lot worse states and I've never considered not going. 

One thing is I don't really know what's going on at this football club at the minute. Investment is ongoing? Then the guys company gets wound up? We could do with Morris coming out and explaining. He doesn't need to name names. Just reassure fans about this investment which is quite clearly needed. 

But the main thing is football in general. It's turning into a TV Sport. Our last Saturday home game at 3pm was on the 15th February. We now have no more. That is absolutely disgusting. Midweek games on the red button are ruining it. People won't rush to get home from work, look out the window it's cold, wet and windy. It's so easy to just stay at home and watch it. I'm it saying this is something I would do, but people will. If you want to look at the state of football and what this red button is doing. Wigan took 50 fans to Reading midweek. Yes I know Wigan are a small club. But 50 fans? That's wrong. 

Last night me and a friend were watching the football and we're discussing this. So we went over the 23 home games. 

This season out of 23 home games:-

Saturday 3pm kick off - 7

Date or kick off time moved for TV - 6

Midweek games - 6

Saturday 1pm (Police reasons) - 2

Sunday (moved because FA cup game on a Thursday) - 1

Easter Monday - 1.

You can see all midweek games on TV and 6 games that were originally at 3pm on a Saturday got moved either by date or kick off time for TV. 

So that means out of the 23 home games this season. You could have watched 11 on TV.

Say an average ticket price for our games over a season is £25. (It may be more) but my season ticket is £432 which works out at an average of £19 a game. 

So if you watched the 12 games on TV and bought tickets for the 11 that weren't on TV at an average of £25 a game. That would cost me £275 a season. Saving me £157 (Based on my season ticket being £432)

Football is being ruined by TV. It's as simple as that and it's breaking me.

I know people who work shifts. Who aren't renewing cos of it. They've rightly said that they can watch most on TV and the ones that aren't they'll get a ticket for. They still wouldn't miss a game either by being there or watching at home and in this day and age when money is tight (I live by myself) £157 is a lot of money.

You make a lot of valid points and I can’t argue with anything you have said. I just find it very sad in this day and age that football as a whole seems to have abandoned the match-going fan as little more than a nuisance and a sound effect. For the regulars, it seems that we need the club more than the club needs us. While finances continue to allow then we will renew, but I can understand how others feel jaded and let down .

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

First time in 26 years of having a season ticket that I'm considering not renewing.

Not because of where we are in the league because we've been in a lot worse states and I've never considered not going. 

One thing is I don't really know what's going on at this football club at the minute. Investment is ongoing? Then the guys company gets wound up? We could do with Morris coming out and explaining. He doesn't need to name names. Just reassure fans about this investment which is quite clearly needed. 

But the main thing is football in general. It's turning into a TV Sport. Our last Saturday home game at 3pm was on the 15th February. We now have no more. That is absolutely disgusting. Midweek games on the red button are ruining it. People won't rush to get home from work, look out the window it's cold, wet and windy. It's so easy to just stay at home and watch it. I'm it saying this is something I would do, but people will. If you want to look at the state of football and what this red button is doing. Wigan took 50 fans to Reading midweek. Yes I know Wigan are a small club. But 50 fans? That's wrong. 

Last night me and a friend were watching the football and we're discussing this. So we went over the 23 home games. 

Midweek games - 6

Easter Monday - 1.

You can see all midweek games on TV and 6 games that were originally at 3pm on a Saturday got moved either by date or kick off time for TV. 

So that means out of the 23 home games this season. You could have watched 11 on TV.

Say an average ticket price for our games over a season is £25. (It may be more) but my season ticket is £432 which works out at an average of £19 a game. 

So if you watched the 12 games on TV and bought tickets for the 11 that weren't on TV at an average of £25 a game. That would cost me £275 a season. Saving me £157 (Based on my season ticket being £432)

I know people who work shifts. Who aren't renewing cos of it. They've rightly said that they can watch most on TV and the ones that aren't they'll get a ticket for. They still wouldn't miss a game either by being there or watching at home and in this day and age when money is tight (I live by myself) £157 is a lot of money.

Sadly I agree with your comments Mackworth.

Following since 1959, travelling 100 mile round trip for the last 30 years with my daughter (also season ticket holder) I have not enjoyed this season. The football and lack of entertainment pre Christmas I found dire. I hope Cocu succeeds but I am yet to be convinced.

Probably the final straw has been the changing of the fixtures especially to a Friday night. My daughter struggles to get to mid week games as it  is and because of where she is now working the only way she can get there is by train and meeting me in Derby. That adds £20/30 to her costs for each mid week game. She has also had to miss a few mid week games - so is it worth it ??

We will always support Derby and maybe we will renew but the enthusiasm is just not there like it used to be !!

6 minutes ago, gfs1ram said:

Following since 1959, travelling 100 mile round trip for the last 30 years with my daughter (also season ticket holder) I have not enjoyed this season. The football and lack of entertainment pre Christmas I found dire. I hope Cocu succeeds but I am yet to be convinced.

Probably the final straw has been the changing of the fixtures especially to a Friday night. My daughter struggles to get to mid week games as it  is and because of where she is now working the only way she can get there is by train and meeting me in Derby. That adds £20/30 to her costs for each mid week game. She has also had to miss a few mid week games - so is it worth it ??

We will always support Derby and maybe we will renew but the enthusiasm is just not there like it used to be !!

Wow thought i'd done well as following since 66, I take my hat off to you Sir ?

11 minutes ago, gfs1ram said:

I agree with you on the lack of entertainment I find the current style of football played by almost all teams really boring. Teams are well organised well drilled and very fit but the entertainment is non existent. I used to watch MOTD and live games on sky regardless but don’t bother anymore as football in general is dull.

all that said probably will renew.

3 hours ago, gfs1ram said:

Tremendous support and I can understand your thoughts about there not being the same enthusiasm but I think this applies to most fans. I put it down to a number of factors, not least the massive effect tv has played in the rearranging of fixtures to historically really strange kick-off times, making it almost impossible for a sizeable number of fans to plan ahead.

17 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Midweek games - 6

Easter Monday - 1.

You could even say the one moved to Sunday for the FA cup is for tv too - as the Utd game is on Thursday for tv, which caused the game to get moved.

Its nothing to do with the football. I think next year will be an amazing season but trying to make season ticket financially worth it with all of the rearranged Midweek/friday times and the 250 miles round trip with school age child is a nightmare. Totally due to match timings in second half season for us. Will get home memberships instead and still make lots of games

I quite like the lack of saturday 3pm kick offs for home matches. It frees up the rest of the day to spend with the family. 
quite often I’ve found that if I can’t go to a game for one reason or another, Sky have it moved for me. ?

18 hours ago, rustylee said:

I agree with you on the lack of entertainment I find the current style of football played by almost all teams really boring. Teams are well organised well drilled and very fit but the entertainment is non existent. I used to watch MOTD and live games on sky regardless but don’t bother anymore as football in general is dull.

all that said probably will renew.

I have to profess I have never considered the Championship historically to be full of teams playing free flowing football, the skill level is much diminished from the Premiership and is full of teams populated by players full of lung and muscle.

I query your comment as I don't consider this to be a particularly new phenomenon with the modus operandi for many Championship teams for a long while being playing to a set rigid system 

1 hour ago, tinman said:

I quite like the lack of saturday 3pm kick offs for home matches. It frees up the rest of the day to spend with the family. 
quite often I’ve found that if I can’t go to a game for one reason or another, Sky have it moved for me. ?

I don’t like the lack of Saturday 3pm kick offs. It means I have to spend time with my family.

Most people like routine and stick to it ,hence sat 3 o’clock was written in stone for lots of people so giving up going to games / season tickets was a massive change which people didn’t want to make ,with the advent of tv moved games it s much more than the inconvenience of it ,it’s broken peoples routines and habits to the point where giving up season tickets is just not such a big jump anymore 

On 29/02/2020 at 10:46, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Midweek games - 6

Easter Monday - 1.

Brilliant post and absolutely spot on. I don’t care what anyone says, TV is killing the game. 

18 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Brilliant post and absolutely spot on. I don’t care what anyone says, TV is killing the game. 

Not sure we can say killing it just yet but certainly changing it especially for us older fans from a different era

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Not sure we can say killing it just yet but certainly changing it especially for us older fans from a different era

It’s destroying the traditions of our game. It’s all about the arm chair fan these days I’m afraid 

Archived