Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I've just read that the BoE has warned lenders to start preparing themselves for negative interest rates in a few months time.

Would be curious to know how people with savings are going to spend their cash to revitalise the economy if the country if still in lockdown or see sawing between partial and full lockdowns. 

Perhaps we're meant to stuff our savings under the mattress who knows. 

Time to buy shares in Sleepeezee?

34 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

No I dont know, it's an opinion and one that I don't mind being wrong. 

Yours is just an opinion also.

I've regularly asked for stats showing that the NHS is on the verge of collapse any more than a normal year, I've never been provided with any.

Don't think I've ever read the Daily Express but why would I need to when I have Guardian/Independent readers regularly giving me completely unbiased news reports?

Your opinion is based on nothing.

Mine is based on expert advice.

4 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Your opinion is based on nothing.

Mine is based on expert advice.

Is it?

What expert advice is this please?

My opinion is based on official stats that are out there for everyone to see.

Granted stats can be used to prove pretty much most things.

9 hours ago, Archied said:

Ok so what number lower than 1 can lockdown s and restrictions be discarded 

It's not about 'being discarded', it's about a staged removal of restrictions, making sure the reproduction number stays on or below 1 after each stage. This should be done once the case loads, hospitalisations, etc are at a manageable level. 

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

'Crushing levels' ?

Its all gone very quiet on the NHS over here, very strange given that it was 2 weeks from collapse for about 8 weeks.

I'd say needing to shed many treatments is crushing, which remains the case at this time. I guess you don't really care about all those missed cancer screenings, etc though. 

3 hours ago, maxjam said:

Looks like the 'gamble' has paid off.

I'd be waiting for the actual results of what happens, rather than just Murdoch patting his mates on the back. The signs seem more positive now, which is good news though. 

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Is it?

What expert advice is this please?

My opinion is based on official stats that are out there for everyone to see.

Granted stats can be used to prove pretty much most things.

Oh my god, my sides. It's the crack of dawn here, and this post is just amazing value. My word. 

Mate, your opinion is anything if 'based on official stats'. It's based on cherry picking and sniping. That's about it. 

1 minute ago, Albert said:

I'd say needing to shed many treatments is crushing, which remains the case at this time. I guess you don't really care about all those missed cancer screenings, etc though. 

We shed treatments every year during winter, sad but fact of life over here.

I thought Covid was the only thing that mattered these days.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

my shed needs treatment. reminds me I must get some creosote. ?

2 minutes ago, Albert said:

Oh my god, my sides. It's the crack of dawn here, and this post is just amazing value. My word. 

Mate, your opinion is anything if 'based on official stats'. It's based on cherry picking and sniping. That's about it. 

As noted, this sort of comment has been dealt with before.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

That says a lot about the mismanagement of the NHS in the last decade, but the scale and length of time we're talking about here is unprecedented. As I've maintained for months, the impact of the case loads seen will have large knock-on effects, it's interesting you don't care about those. 

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

As noted, this sort of comment has been dealt with before.

I like how you're basically acknowledging you don't really have a counter, and hence just feel like trying to mock instead. 

1 minute ago, Albert said:

That says a lot about the mismanagement of the NHS in the last decade, but the scale and length of time we're talking about here is unprecedented. As I've maintained for months, the impact of the case loads seen will have large knock-on effects, it's interesting you don't care about those.

Its equally interesting that you advocating the lockdown which has equal knock on effects that you are pretending to be worried about.

2 minutes ago, Albert said:

I like how you're basically acknowledging you don't really have a counter, and hence just feel like trying to mock instead. 

Nah, just using a commonly seen tactic in this thread.

Avoid a question, ask a question back, then when asked why the question hasnt been answered, just say its been dealth with and move on.

And no, I won't go back through the thread looking for examples before you ask.

And yes if you think that means there aren't any examples then good for you.

(Just pre-empting the, by now, predictable responses)

1 hour ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

The vaccination programme and reliving stress on the NHS go hand in hand. The more people vaccinated the less stress on the NHS, (see Israel’s hospitalisation numbers) if this wasn’t the case the vaccination programme would be pointless.

Fully understand the point that a very, very small minority of under 50s May still become severely ill but there has to be a balance at some point between strangling peoples livelihoods and the risk of people becoming sick. Unfortunately in life some people will become sick, that doesn’t mean you can keep everybody locked away.

Exactly. I wasn’t suggesting we wait until everyone is vaccinated, that’s not what I said. It’s a pipe dream to expect to reach a situation when no one will become seriously ill so I’d like to think that as soon as hospital numbers are down to what might be considered safe numbers lockdown measures will start to be lifted. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

No I dont know, it's an opinion and one that I don't mind being wrong. 

Yours is just an opinion also.

I've regularly asked for stats showing that the NHS is on the verge of collapse any more than a normal year, I've never been provided with any.

Don't think I've ever read the Daily Express but why would I need to when I have Guardian/Independent readers regularly giving me completely unbiased news reports?

The point in all this is not that the NHS is close to collapse but the stats that are/were available at different times tell/told all of us that it COULD collapse if we didn’t do the right thing. ... bluntly, the government has mostly done a good good job - with hind sight - could have done better in certain areas but equally came out better elsewhere. We are in the PL .. mid table, in with a shout for better things.

AND  the general public have mostly done a good job .. with the exception of the tawts that everyone knows are there all the time and generally eff it up for the rest of us. .. same extremists who rant and rave and say either it’s not fair, I am an exception or you are bullying me, taking away my rights. look at them.... all the same .. it’s all about “me” and not about “us” ... spot em a mile away. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

The only important figure now should be hospitalizations if everything else we are being told is true.

If the stats about the vaccinations are true there is no way that admission figures are going up.

If the NHS hasnt collapsed when infections were at 60,000 a day with no vaccine, there is no chance of it happening when infections are at 18,000 a day with 75% of the people that would previously have been hospitalised now no longer at risk.

First doses all done by March, 3 weeks for immunity to kick. 

Absolutely no reason for a full re-opening by Easter.

That’s what I said. It’s hospital numbers that is probably the most critical thing. 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

That’s what I said. It’s hospital numbers that is probably the most critical thing. 

Well from data I have seen (obviously this will be followed by the usual posters saying Im just making it up and its data not available) hospital admissions are in line with normal years. 

Hospital staff are nearly all vaccinated.

Numbers in hospital remain high but will obviously start falling and are clearly manageable. 

Come Easter there should be very few excuses left not to re-open.

If the only excuse is that the vaccine is not working on such and such a strain then its clear we need to learn to live with the virus.

4 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Going to be fascinating to see what happens if they do go negative. Saving interest is so low at the moment that it wouldn't make a huge amount of difference if you were losing a bit rather than earning basically nothing. But psychological impact of losing money could be huge.

Perhaps banks will decide to keep rate at least 0% so people don't withdraw anything. Anyone keeping money in a savings account at the moment though is not really paying attention.

On the other hand, would banks possibly start paying people interest on a mortgage? My tracker mortgage is linked to base rate so could presumably drop to below zero. 

Most mortgages will say something in their T&C's which prevent them dropping below 0% I.E it will be 0% plus 1%, even on a tracker.

So even when you win, you lose.

Personally, as a saver, if it did go negative I'd withdraw all my cash and stick it under the floorboards. Absolute scandal if it happens.

Don't think it will though.

36 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

South Africa have paused vaccinations with AstraZeneca vaccine because of the fear that it isn't going to work with their strain. 

How much effect will that have?

As of the 23rd of January, 39m people in wealthy countries had been vaccinated, compared to 25 people in Africa.

That's not a typo, either.

Archived