Jump to content

Coronavirus


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yep and I stand by what I said, I didn't witness anyone breaking social distancing rules in the pubs that I drink in.

 

And spreading the virus, hence why I said you had found a COVID free pub.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well I thought it would stand to reason that if you follow the rules that you dont spread the virus, prettt silly rules otherwise.

Yup and therefore we are in agreement that it doesn't matter what the pubs put in place, it's not them that has any control over the spread of the virus.
 

Luckily you have found a pub where everyone follows these, however most others that has people under the influence are subject to impulsive behaviour, poor memory, and slowed reflexes. Hence why this sector has been forced to close.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

The wife is a teacher and that made us laugh. She has been doing lots of YouTube stuff and now thinks she might get a BAFTA or something.. Gone to her bleedin head it all has. Proper lovie now.. grrrr

Had an after work call this evening with a buddy of mine who is the IT Director for an Academies Trust in London. He's been trying to set up student and teacher remote learning profiles for all 5 schools he looks after and is rapidly losing the plot too. Sent him that link and he had a proper chuckle too. He reckons the teachers are now more of a handful than the kids 😆

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Had an after work call this evening with a buddy of mine who is the IT Director for an Academies Trust in London. He's been trying to set up student and teacher remote learning profiles for all 5 schools he looks after and is rapidly losing the plot too. Sent him that link and he had a proper chuckle too. He reckons the teachers are now more of a handful than the kids 😆

 

I'm Head of Science in a middle school. Year 8 online parents evening tonight. First six appointments were a bloody nightmare using my school laptop - kept freezing, no sound, ending calls etc. Everything was fine once I logged onto the system with my own chromebook. Now I have to ring those parents tomorrow to apologise and talk to them about how their children are getting on. At least I finished the day with a nice curry - birthday treat (not much else to do currently!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Had an after work call this evening with a buddy of mine who is the IT Director for an Academies Trust in London. He's been trying to set up student and teacher remote learning profiles for all 5 schools he looks after and is rapidly losing the plot too. Sent him that link and he had a proper chuckle too. He reckons the teachers are now more of a handful than the kids 😆

 

Ask him if he knows how to navigate Google Classrooms. 😱

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Rev said:

A 30 yr old colleague/friend of my wife took their own life this weekend. 

It won't show up as a Covid death, but 9 months working from home while living alone wouldn't have helped.

That's terrible Rev. Condolences to all concerned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Well it's been a long hard slog by Boris and his pals, but what a performance to make us #1 in the world with such stiff competition. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/uk-covid-death-rate-coronavirus-b1788817.html

I'm not for one moment defending early mistakes that were made in the UK (slow lock down & care homes etc) but how many countries are accurately reporting their numbers, though?. Russia was widely reported to have experienced 3x more dead than they have admitted to. I'd like to bet you can an awful lot of countries to that list as well (Brazil, Mexico etc).

Until there's a uniform global way of measuring deaths adhered to by all, these figures are pretty meaningless IMO. Clearly that can't happen in retrospect, so I don't think we'll ever know the true numbers from many countries.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Suggestion that the Pfizer vaccine could prevent transmission. From an Israel source but they are well ahead of anyone on the vaccinations.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/19/pfizer-vaccine-may-prevent-transmission-coronavirus-others-israeli/

If so its great news, i think there ws some thought early on the Oxford one also prevented it but it hadnt been confirmed. But if it does stop transmission it will surely be massive in the fight against the virus.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, maxjam said:

 

Have not read this one in detail but saw the BBC alert flash up saying 1 in 10 - either way it's 10% or 12.5% of people.

Weren't herd immunity stats talking about 80% would need to have immunity? That feels a long way off and is relying on the  vaccination program being a success. Although it's clear we were never going to reach herd immunity without a vaccination, so I guess we can finally ignore the fringe scientists who were trying to tell us all that we had nearly reached herd immunity last September...

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Have not read this one in detail but saw the BBC alert flash up saying 1 in 10 - either way it's 10% or 12.5% of people.

Weren't herd immunity stats talking about 80% would need to have immunity? That feels a long way off and is relying on the  vaccination program being a success. Although it's clear we were never going to reach herd immunity without a vaccination, so I guess we can finally ignore the fringe scientists who were trying to tell us all that we had nearly reached herd immunity last September...

 

 

 

At least. By December. We've been running at an estimated 1 million infections a week since then. 7 million more since. 

Plus vaccinations to 4 million plus. 

You're talking 20 million. Or 30 percent of the population. 

When that many have had it, you'd suspect it will start to slow down when you get to to that 50 percent mark. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sith Happens said:

Suggestion that the Pfizer vaccine could prevent transmission. From an Israel source but they are well ahead of anyone on the vaccinations.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/19/pfizer-vaccine-may-prevent-transmission-coronavirus-others-israeli/

If so its great news, i think there ws some thought early on the Oxford one also prevented it but it hadnt been confirmed. But if it does stop transmission it will surely be massive in the fight against the virus.

 

 

I really hope this is true. You can imagine a world where Covid isn't a major pain in the bum if this is the case. I was thinking we'd have a very, very long recovery - possibly never fully getting back to normal. Hopefully it becomes another Smallpox, effectively wiped out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Well it's been a long hard slog by Boris and his pals, but what a performance to make us #1 in the world with such stiff competition. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/uk-covid-death-rate-coronavirus-b1788817.html

There are 30 countries on that list and the difference in death rate is 11 per 1 million.

Its really quite sad and pathetic making 'league tables' like that, but nothing less than I would expect from the Guardian.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I really hope this is true. You can imagine a world where Covid isn't a major pain in the bum if this is the case. I was thinking we'd have a very, very long recovery - possibly never fully getting back to normal. Hopefully it becomes another Smallpox, effectively wiped out.

Hopefully if its true some of those who say they dont need the vaccine because they are happy to take the risk for themselves will have second thoughts.

I see testing prior to flights being a thing that happens for a good while yet, so maybe if you have had the vaccine and its proved the risk of transmission is low then you might be able to use it as an 'immunity' passport...Test or Vaccine one or the other.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

Hopefully if its true some of those who say they dont need the vaccine because they are happy to take the risk for themselves will have second thoughts.

I see testing prior to flights being a thing that happens for a good while yet, so maybe if you have had the vaccine and its proved the risk of transmission is low then you might be able to use it as an 'immunity' passport...Test or Vaccine one or the other.

 

Well, we have requirements to have injections to visit other places, this probably will just become another one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.