Coronavirus

1of4

5 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Can you link the article please buddy? Sounds like nonsense to me but I'll give it a read anyway. For the record, as of mid-December, there were 1.69 million unemployed in the entire country. For over 700K of them to be from London alone seems a bit outlandish, don't you think!

As for the real stats, I can't be arsed to look right now but this is a reasonable source for study findings. I suspect somewhere there'll be data to further refute the claim.

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/eu-migration-to-and-from-the-uk/

Just posted it pal ??

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

This is actually pretty hilarious. Literally everything he's posted has been regurgitated on here, everything, typically by a small number of 'regulars' ?

It just shows how free his speech actually is. He is free to get paid to spread mis-information and deliberately controversial opinions in the mainstream media.

People will have actually died by believing the garbage he has helped spread.

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

At one time, mercury was used as a treatment for apoplexy, worms and constipation, as well as being used for fillings in teeth. People learn - eventually (sometimes)

I have still got some mercury cream that was used for clearing up styes on the eye. It worked like a charm! 

I don't know why I keep it but it was somewhat of a family legend! 

7 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Just posted it pal ??

Thanks Tex - did respond but whilst I can still see my reply, it's marked 'hidden' so I doubt you can. Suffice to say it's a muddled article and not one to take too seriously IMO. Shame we're not allowed to discuss it as with so many folk rightfully concerned about the economic effects of Covid, you'd think it'd be permissible to analyse such reports without moderation but apparently not ?‍♀️

3 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Thanks Tex - did respond but whilst I can still see my reply, it's marked 'hidden' so I doubt you can. Suffice to say it's a muddled article and not one to take too seriously IMO. Shame we're not allowed to discuss it as with so many folk rightfully concerned about the economic effects of Covid, you'd think it'd be permissible to analyse such reports without moderation but apparently not ?‍♀️

It's an automatic filter to protect you from yourselves ?

I've released that one as it does seem relevant to Covid, but please keep the thread relevant to that and not the other thing.

10 hours ago, jimmyp said:

B30884A5-70F4-480C-A8F6-6B332908587D.jpeg

All joking aside, a regular poster on here took me to task after I'd posted that I'd purchased a large number of facemasks for my dad and had insisted that he start using them. This was back around March before we were being encouraged to do so. I was told by said poster that far from protecting wearers from Covid, the might actually make them more susceptible and there was no evidence to suggest otherwise ?

16 hours ago, angieram said:

My sister in law lives in Clay Cross and had a first jab on Saturday less than a five minute walk from her house. She has an appointment in place for her second on 3rd April. 

Good to know. Clay Cross is where my folks would go (live in Wingerworth). Mother Wolfie was getting a bit anxious about it on the phone the other night, so I'll tell her it's going on. Thanks.

13 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Another horrific death count today, but R rate falling rapidly - now down to 0.6. Does this mean the lockdown is working? I can't see any other reason. Way too early for the vaccines to be the cause I'd have thought.

BBC saying 1.2-1.3, which is a bit contradictory with the daily cases starting to fall this week

39 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Yeah, confusing. Mail reporting it as 0.6! That's quite a discrepancy! 

Coped from Beeb "Live Update" .....The bold bit might explain the contradiction but even then, a drop to 0.6 looks a tad optimistic. Unfortunately.

Philippa Roxby

Health reporter, BBC News

After several weeks of a national lockdown, there were hopes the R number - or reproduction number - for the virus would be below or close to the magic figure of 1, which suggests the epidemic is shrinking.

But it’s between 1.2 and 1.3 and the growth rate is estimated to be between +2% and +5%, meaning that infections are growing by this rate every day.

Although there are very early signs that confirmed cases are falling in most age groups, this may not yet have filtered through to be reflected in the R number.

It tends to describe what’s happened in previous weeks rather than in the present.

However, there are still positive signs the lockdown is working.

There were more than 48,600 cases reported in the UK yesterday - a week ago it was around 60,000.

The tight restrictions on people’s lives, including schools being closed since December, are bound to be having an impact.

Yet hospital admissions and deaths are still rising and are likely to do so for some weeks yet.

Despite millions having been vaccinated, the current R number is telling us the second wave certainly isn’t over yet

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Another horrific death count today, but R rate falling rapidly - now down to 0.6. Does this mean the lockdown is working? I can't see any other reason. Way too early for the vaccines to be the cause I'd have thought.

Most likely due to schools closing before Xmas?

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Yeah, confusing. Mail reporting it as 0.6! That's quite a discrepancy! 

schoolboy error 

2 hours ago, Rev said:

Our workplace had a Covid spot check yesterday from HSE. 

Passed with flying colours thankfully.

Yeah we had one a week before Christmas. Also passed with flying colours although they had very little discourse with shop floor workers.

Our company is now making noises about potential disciplinary action if you have not followed government guidelines outside of work. Nothing definite yet but a slightly sinister meeting today with HR.

I don't know why, but I feel uneasy about it all. 

Archived