Coronavirus

1of4

I understand but don't agree with the extended times between the prime and the boost. No trial was performed with those timelines yet that is going to be the timeline of the roll out by the sounds of it. Sure more people can "get" the vaccine but you do not get the full immune response until after the second dose and that only holds when the original prime boost schedule is followed. It might work just as well with a later boost, but until you get that boost you are not necessarily immune. Reports today in Quebec that 7 residents of a long term care home contracted COVID after receiving their first dose

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, dabber said:

I understand but don't agree with the extended times between the prime and the boost. No trial was performed with those timelines yet that is going to be the timeline of the roll out by the sounds of it. Sure more people can "get" the vaccine but you do not get the full immune response until after the second dose and that only holds when the original prime boost schedule is followed. It might work just as well with a later boost, but until you get that boost you are not necessarily immune. Reports today in Quebec that 7 residents of a long term care home contracted COVID after receiving their first dose

Just had a look at that and it says its likely they got it prior to or just after having the jab. It takes a couple of weeks to gain any immunity and about 3 weeks for it to be optimal from one jab. Apparantly there was an outbreak there 4 days before the jabs were given.

Seems like they were unfortunate that they picked it up before their immune response kicked in.

Classic thread here of free speech enthusiast Toby Young's thoughts on Covid. Posters on here have been given a rough ride for similar thoughts, but it's hardly a surprise they post such things when unscientific garbage by newspaper columnists. Does freedom of speech extend to spreading misinformation that may result in people ignoring rules designed to protect both themselves and society at large.

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Classic thread here of free speech enthusiast Toby Young's thoughts on Covid. Posters on here have been given a rough ride for similar thoughts, but it's hardly a surprise they post such things when unscientific garbage by newspaper columnists. Does freedom of speech extend to spreading misinformation that may result in people ignoring rules designed to protect both themselves and society at large.

what did the CMO say last week, deniers are liars and repeating their lies results in deaths

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

I recognise so much of that Toby Young garbage - from this very thread.

2 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Just seen a headline that one year today, WHO said preliminary investigations into COVID by China have found no clear evidence of human to human transmission of COVID. 

Makes you think.....

At one time, mercury was used as a treatment for apoplexy, worms and constipation, as well as being used for fillings in teeth. People learn - eventually (sometimes)

10 hours ago, Wolfie said:

It does seem quite patchy, locally, though.

Purely anecdotally from people I've spoken to, it sounds like around Bakewell they've been well ahead of other areas. My folks live near Chesterfield & they've hardly done any around them. Also same where I live - Newark on Trent.

Not sure I heard it correctly, as the local news were in the background, but I think the y said that the velodrome had ran out of vaccins on Tuesday. Very happy to be corrected if I misheard it.

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

At one time, mercury was used as a treatment for apoplexy, worms and constipation, as well as being used for fillings in teeth. People learn - eventually (sometimes)

And syphilis....which is probably more adapt ?

Another tragic effect on continued restrictions in the Uk. Apparently  The population has shrunk in 2020 by 1.3M (~700k in London) due to people leaving and returning to their home nations due to there being no work available, especially in the hospitality sector. Devastating for our country and economy, sooner the vaccines kick in and this is all over the better. 

20 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Another tragic effect on continued restrictions in the Uk. Apparently  The population has shrunk in 2020 by 1.3M (~700k in London) due to people leaving and returning to their home nations due to there being no work available, especially in the hospitality sector. Devastating for our country and economy, sooner the vaccines kick in and this is all over the better. 

brrrrr exit

9 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Not sure I heard it correctly, as the local news were in the background, but I think the y said that the velodrome had ran out of vaccins on Tuesday. Very happy to be corrected if I misheard it.

Mother I L had hers last night, she said it was easy and very well organised

34 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Hmmm. Might there be another reason for the 'exodus' from London old chap? I mean you do know that over 1M EU nationals were working in London, right? 

Coincidence much? ? 

11 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

This is actually pretty hilarious. Literally everything he's posted has been regurgitated on here, everything, typically by a small number of 'regulars' ?

12 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Hmmm. Might there be another reason for the 'exodus' from London old chap? I mean you do know that over 1M EU nationals were working in London, right?  ? 

I thought that but not the article I read, a lot of my European friends living here won’t move and remain despite the other issue. Apparently and can only go on what’s reported it’s down to Industry’s  being shut down and on jobs available. Either way I another huge loss to the Country ? 

17 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I thought that but not the article I read, a lot of my European friends living here won’t move and remain despite the other issue. Apparently and can only go on what’s reported it’s down to Industry’s  being shut down and on jobs available. Either way I another huge loss to the Country ? 

Can you link the article please buddy? Sounds like nonsense to me but I'll give it a read anyway. For the record, as of mid-December, there were 1.69 million unemployed in the entire country. For over 700K of them to be from London alone seems a bit outlandish, don't you think!

As for the real stats, I can't be arsed to look right now but this is a reasonable source for study findings. I suspect somewhere there'll be data to further refute the claim.

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/eu-migration-to-and-from-the-uk/

EDIT - Just scanned the article - bit muddled in their thinking. They've assume Brexit played no role other than to 'prevent EU nationals from returning'!!! 

Archived