Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I think that's a pretty uncharitable way of looking at it and I've asked what's changed because your recent posts infer clearly you're unwilling to acquiesce to any extended lockdown. Anyway, doesn't really matter. Just thought I'd ask

I think its pretty uncharitable calling single adults selfish for not wanting to spend 3 months locked up with no adult interaction.

Other posters have since confirmed that me seeing another adult would not be breaking the law.

16 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

It must be very tough for you having no friends or family within the allowed radius, have you moved into the area recently or do you just struggle to make new acquaintances ? Is this something that also impacts you on a regular basis, it must be very difficult at the best of times not having anyone close by that you can go for a walk or enjoy a pint or something along then lines.

I think sometimes we miss the bigger picture of people living alone needing the company of others. I am sticking to the rules because technically I'm classed as vulnerable, but I'm also lucky to have lots of friends and family close by if needed. I can understand why, people like yourself who haven't got any mates living close by, might feel to have to travel a bit further to meet them.

I think you mentioned your local pub, maybe that would be a way in the future to meet some new people....

I am going through divorce so left the family home and moved into rented accomodation temporarily.

I changed jobs in March and work alone. 

So my adult interaction is literally zero.

I would normally call into the local on the way home from work for a couple of pints and at least get to say hello face to face with someone!

Its not a sob story as I am comfortable in my own company and I still get to see my kids.

Its a very low quality of life I am living though and faced with the question of continuing like this for months or breaking the rules, I am afraid it is reaching the stage where I am tempted to do the latter.

12 minutes ago, maxjam said:

With recent events elsewhere in the world, I think 2021 will see Big Tech etc flex their muscles to a degree Governments would never dream...

As usual with the media it has a headline that is not backed up by the story.

Personally, I have no problem with the big companies acting like this, there is plenty of other options available, and as recent elections have shown the general public dont like being treated with contempt.

24 minutes ago, maxjam said:

With recent events elsewhere in the world, I think 2021 will see Big Tech etc flex their muscles to a degree Governments would never dream...

Where does big tech come into that news article? Can't tell if you're against the idea of private companies reserving the right to refuse the business of people who deliberately endanger the safety of their staff - or you're pointing out the frustrating antagonistic clickbait disparity in the headline which says "WILL have their accounts closed" against the actual quote in the article that says "COULD have their accounts closed"

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Thats because he was saying he was under house arrest when he wasn't. 

He also lives with his wife, not alone. 

Nothing has changed, as far as I am aware I am still abiding by the rules?

There have been times when I would have gladly swapped places with somebody living alone, and I can say with some authority that my wife feels the same way too.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I just want people to follow the rules. Someone saying that they are only going to when it suits them is only going to kick the problem down the road, and it's that more than anything that makes me very resentful ('angry' isn't really the right word). Similarly, I resent being described as 'selfish' when basically I'm doing the right thing, the thing I've been told to do when clearly some others couldn't care less.

The problem is, when the rule-breakers are at the top, they set an example for others to follow, and that's how you get a "Why should I?" society.

I wouldn't say that the last 10 months have been 'successful' by any stretch of the imagination. The mental strain has been immense, and I don't think that I will be quite the same person afterwards. Far from it.

Was not an all out pop at you but it’s very clear even on here that attitude s to others is not well thought out , when you had a quandary over what to do regards rules and family over Christmas I don’t recall you getting angry face responses ( may be wrong ) in the main I remember compassion and understanding to you from the posters on here , as it turned out you stated you weren’t faced with the choices you thought you would , the same for most posters who have posted dilemma s have been met with understanding and not judgement,,,,, is it the case that someone doesn’t fully support the lockdown in all its guises they are to be castigated for feeling they’re plight , is it for those we feel we don’t agree with political y or philosophical y easy and ok to treat that way??‍♂️

24 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Where does big tech come into that news article? Can't tell if you're against the idea of private companies reserving the right to refuse the business of people who deliberately endanger the safety of their staff - or you're pointing out the frustrating antagonistic clickbait disparity in the headline which says "WILL have their accounts closed" against the actual quote in the article that says "COULD have their accounts closed"

I said 'Big Tech etc' - without getting to political, given recent events elsewhere in the world I predict that large private companies will start wielding more power than Governments would ever dare in the coming months.

With regards to HSBC - is it right to threaten to ban someone of a bank account because they don't wear a mask?  Especially given that staff are behind glass screens anyway?  And once one bank starts the policy, will we see all major banks follow leaving people without access to banking?

12 minutes ago, maxjam said:

With regards to HSBC - is it right to threaten to ban someone of a bank account because they don't wear a mask?  Especially given that staff are behind glass screens anyway?  And once one bank starts the policy, will we see all major banks follow leaving people without access to banking?

If they are not exempt (under which circumstances they should be wearing a visor), I would say that HSBC are well within their rights to tell them to take their business elsewhere. In fact, I applaud them for it. Similarly with the supermarkets insisting that masks are worn. The time for personal choice on the matter passed 10 months ago.

21 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I said 'Big Tech etc' - without getting to political, given recent events elsewhere in the world I predict that large private companies will start wielding more power than Governments would ever dare in the coming months.

As I'm the other side of the glass waiting it's fine with me.  That does have to be backed up with other good practise though -  they should probably clean cash points after every use and ensure customers use hand gels / there own pens etc  Don't know if they do now but that wasn't the case.

46 minutes ago, Eddie said:

If they are not exempt (under which circumstances they should be wearing a visor), I would say that HSBC are well within their rights to tell them to take their business elsewhere. In fact, I applaud them for it. Similarly with the supermarkets insisting that masks are worn. The time for personal choice on the matter passed 10 months ago.

Really ? I thought masks were considered of no value 10 months ago and for a fair while beyond that??‍♂️

4 minutes ago, maxjam said:

And we're on track to deliver 2m doses per week every week by mid-Feb;

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-astrazeneca-on-track-to-deliver-two-million-vaccine-doses-a-week-by-mid-february-as-it-calls-for-priority-access-12186734

Some good news for a change!

Are both vaccines ( pyzer and Astra Zeneca) approved and ready for roll out in those countries or is it just one of those or another vaccine  also ,, honest question as I don’t know

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just watching PMQs, its like a bad day on dcfcfans with the speaker having to give BJ a warning for calling KS a hypocrite!

Why does anyone watch PMQ's? Unless it's changed since I last saw it (which I guess it has due to the virus) it's just a shouting and name calling exercise (from both sides of the house) with few sensible questions asked or meaningful answers given.

If the attendees for any meetings I've ever chaired behaved in such a way I would have called a halt and told everyone to grow up and calm down.

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

I prefer to think of it as the world becoming more aware that words and actions have consequences. And private companies realising that they have a duty to act in the best interests of the society.

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Why does anyone watch PMQ's? Unless it's changed since I last saw it (which I guess it has due to the virus) it's just a shouting and name calling exercise (from both sides of the house) with few sensible questions asked or meaningful answers given.

If the attendees for any meetings I've ever chaired behaved in such a way I would have called a halt and told everyone to grow up and calm down.

Because I want to see the Government taken to task on their handling of the pandemic.

Its not so bad now the chamber has social distancing rules.

21 minutes ago, Archied said:

Are both vaccines ( pyzer and Astra Zeneca) approved and ready for roll out in those countries or is it just one of those or another vaccine  also ,, honest question as I don’t know

Pretty sure from memory no they are not. I think the EU have gone down a different approach in who their preferred supplier is and this was not Astra Zeneca, but a french company, influenced at the time by the french PM.

This vaccine is not yet ready for approval, so they are therefore lagging behind us. 

As a remainer, I do ask myself the question, had we not left the EU, would we be where we are today in terms of vaccinations ?

I will caveat and say I think the above is factually correct but I may have dreamt it ?

Archived