Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

How does that work if people aren't coughing and sneezing?

Breathing, talking, shouting etc all produce airbourne droplets to varying degrees.

There was a report on the BBC news last night that showed it nicely where talking and singing during worship is concerned.

9 hours ago, RamNut said:

I’m off to visit my 94 year old mother tomorrow. Tier 3 to tier 3.

we had to miss her birthday a couple of weeks ago, and at her age, these events are precious.

she has had jab 1 of 2.

she will be the only person we see over xmas unless some uninvited visitors turn up on xmas day. And we haven’t had any visitors for 2 weeks. Only a couple of trips out to deliver presents to doorsteps at a safe distance with mask wearing.no going inside......

As I understand it, your mother would have full immunity 28 days after her first jab of the Pfizer vaccine (that is, just a week after her second jab).  Your circumstances will of course be different from mine - but if it were me I’d wait till those 28 days were up and then visit her in January and as often as I could after that.

Christmas is mainly for the kids as far as I’m concerned - so seeing someone in January is just as good as seeing them at Christmas. I’m aware others have different views.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

The infected person will have the virus in their mouth and one their hands. Therefore any kissing, touching, secondary contacts off door handles, furniture, etc. In the early transmissions some people caught it in choirs from singing in close proximity. One couple caught it after sitting in the same seats in church as an infected couple had earlier occupied. 

or they might have eaten the same bat. 

So, bat eating notwithstanding, washing your hands and keeping 2 metres apart is not enough?

8 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Breathing, talking, shouting etc all produce airbourne droplets to varying degrees.

There was a report on the BBC news last night that showed it nicely where talking and singing during worship is concerned.

So if you observe the standard precautions of washing hands regularly and keeping your distance theres very little chance of catching it from asymptomatic carriers.

1 minute ago, uttoxram75 said:

So if you observe the standard precautions of washing hands regularly and keeping your distance theres very little chance of catching it from asymptomatic carriers.

Depends what those droplets land on & then get touched by others - even if you're far enough away not to breathe them in.

That's where the masks come in. On the report last night they had fancy lasers & stuff to show how they drastically reduced the amount of droplets entering the air when someone was singing. I notice thay said they were medical style masks, though. Not sure how good the common cloth ones are.

7 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

So, bat eating notwithstanding, washing your hands and keeping 2 metres apart is not enough?

It reduces the risks of infection, which is the key part. Masks help too, particularly if everyone is wearing them, but again, they're a mitigation effort, not a prevention one. 

Funnily though, eating bats, even ones with this particular virus, is probably fine. Most viruses that are ingested would get destroyed in the gut. A sick bat breathing near you, on the other hand, would be a concern. 

24 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

It’ll help reduce the risk, but it’s not a 100% guarantee. 

33 minutes ago, ramesses said:

As I understand it, your mother would have full immunity 28 days after her first jab of the Pfizer vaccine (that is, just a week after her second jab).  Your circumstances will of course be different from mine - but if it were me I’d wait till those 28 days were up and then visit her in January and as often as I could after that.

Christmas is mainly for the kids as far as I’m concerned - so seeing someone in January is just as good as seeing them at Christmas. I’m aware others have different views.

Thanks i appreciate your view. I suspect my brother would agree with you. 
but I’m not sure I’d forgive myself if she popped her clogs over xmas and I hadn’t been to see her. 

Despite the rumours on here yesterday the AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine is still on track to be approved just after Christmas..if true that would be great news.

15 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Depends what those droplets land on & then get touched by others - even if you're far enough away not to breathe them in.

That's where the masks come in. On the report last night they had fancy lasers & stuff to show how they drastically reduced the amount of droplets entering the air when someone was singing. I notice thay said they were medical style masks, though. Not sure how good the common cloth ones are.

I get the singing stuff but with normal behaviour there seems very little chance of catching it. Nearly everyone I know has been at work throughout the year, factories, schools, retail, coming into contact with potentially hundreds of people daily. Hardly any cases apart from January/February 2020 when loads of us had a few days of strange flu like symptoms, my wife, daughter, grandkids, plus many colleagues, all had it before the first lockdown. No one was tested so can't prove it was covid but it appears that we are all immune if it is as prevalent as were told.

I would say that the hand washing and distancing has also stopped any of us from having normal colds all year as well.

I believe the risk of contracting covid from asymptomatic carriers is tiny if sensible precautions are adhered to.

I'm no scientist so I'll await the expert opinions but going from my own experience over the last year I do believe we are being fed some huge propaganda to keep us in a state of fear. 

I realise some will accuse me of going a bit conspiracy theory here but I don't see common sense being applied by our leaders over this. We are being asked to believe that this particular virus has super powers compared to the millions that have gone before.

I don't know, I'm rambling a bit now, something just doesn't seem right, from the original WHO advice that masks won't help to the sudden change in Government policy, to the message that having had it you still may not have immunity.......come on, thats got to be rubbish, how would a vaccine be any better than natural defence?

Every news bulletin, every single one, even East Midlands, radio, everything, is mainly covid related, like there's nothing else happening anywhere in the world, constant drip, drip of instilling fear into us all, I really hope I'm wrong about all this and its all kosher......it just dunna feel raite........

Merry Christmas everybody xx

10 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I get the singing stuff but with normal behaviour there seems very little chance of catching it. Nearly everyone I know has been at work throughout the year, factories, schools, retail, coming into contact with potentially hundreds of people daily. Hardly any cases apart from January/February 2020 when loads of us had a few days of strange flu like symptoms, my wife, daughter, grandkids, plus many colleagues, all had it before the first lockdown. No one was tested so can't prove it was covid but it appears that we are all immune if it is as prevalent as were told.

I would say that the hand washing and distancing has also stopped any of us from having normal colds all year as well.

I believe the risk of contracting covid from asymptomatic carriers is tiny if sensible precautions are adhered to.

I'm no scientist so I'll await the expert opinions but going from my own experience over the last year I do believe we are being fed some huge propaganda to keep us in a state of fear. 

I realise some will accuse me of going a bit conspiracy theory here but I don't see common sense being applied by our leaders over this. We are being asked to believe that this particular virus has super powers compared to the millions that have gone before.

I don't know, I'm rambling a bit now, something just doesn't seem right, from the original WHO advice that masks won't help to the sudden change in Government policy, to the message that having had it you still may not have immunity.......come on, thats got to be rubbish, how would a vaccine be any better than natural defence?

Every news bulletin, every single one, even East Midlands, radio, everything, is mainly covid related, like there's nothing else happening anywhere in the world, constant drip, drip of instilling fear into us all, I really hope I'm wrong about all this and its all kosher......it just dunna feel raite........

My work was fine in the first wave.  But my wife knew two who had it .  One passed away.3 people off in the last two weeks including the person behind me last friday. We do wear masks in the office but once its -it's in .   Bit of an anxious last few days and one has been off 3 weeks .  I know 12 people in total this time round .  My dad knows 4 -two have passed away .  Nephews school rang yesterday -3 confirmed since they broke up  Don't underestimate this thing it can be very nasty and it seems closer to me than ever at the moment. 

Keep safe and merry christmas. 

24 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Like you, I'm convinced I had it early March, with weird symptoms for a few days, along with my best mate & most of his family. Mrs Wolfie has various chronic symptoms due to other stuff, so probably wouldn't have noticed.

I suppose the only thing that will prove it's not a conspiracy is if the NHS really does get overwhelmed and the Nightingale hospitals fill up in the new year. I notice a few of my FB friends who have been consistently posting conspiracy stuff have all gone quiet in the last few weeks, when the cases and deaths have been rising again.

All the best, mate.

Doc, I’m really worried about this Covid thing. How lethal is it? Do I need to wear a mask? When will we get a vaccine? And how long will the vaccine last?” And the doctor shakes his head and says: “How would I know? I’m not on Facebook.”

——-

sorry I know this is a serious thread but this appealed to my probably warped sense of humour...

44 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Like you, I'm convinced I had it early March, with weird symptoms for a few days, along with my best mate & most of his family. Mrs Wolfie has various chronic symptoms due to other stuff, so probably wouldn't have noticed.

I suppose the only thing that will prove it's not a conspiracy is if the NHS really does get overwhelmed and the Nightingale hospitals fill up in the new year. I notice a few of my FB friends who have been consistently posting conspiracy stuff have all gone quiet in the last few weeks, when the cases and deaths have been rising again.

All the best, mate.

I'll just point out that I don't doubt there is a virus, I'm not into all that stuff. Its the conflicting advice, rules that seem to change willy nilly.

Perhaps if I hadn't worked through it all I might feel different but I know I have far less chance of catching it at home, even with a couple of households mixing, than I do at work yet the advice is opposite.

28 minutes ago, Monty said:

Doc, I’m really worried about this Covid thing. How lethal is it? Do I need to wear a mask? When will we get a vaccine? And how long will the vaccine last?” And the doctor shakes his head and says: “How would I know? I’m not on Facebook.”

——-

sorry I know this is a serious thread but this appealed to my probably warped sense of humour...

Would have been better, if instead of Facebook you had dcfcfans forum ?

10 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Would have been better, if instead of Facebook you had dcfcfans forum ?

Ha yeah good one! too late to edit unfortunately ?

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

Thanks i appreciate your view. I suspect my brother would agree with you. 
but I’m not sure I’d forgive myself if she popped her clogs over xmas and I hadn’t been to see her. 

And it’s not just Christmas , this has been going on for months and who’s to say how much longer beyond Christmas 

2 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Yep and Albert comes on to tell us we would be safer eating a sick bat than being near it breathing as the gut would probably destroy the virus ,,,??? What about the droplets in your mouth ,throat ,hands ,,,,,

the prevailing thread through all this is there is an answer for everything that makes no sense the longer we see it and less we fear it and believe , then when that’s running out of legs new stuff is put out , ,kids don’t transmit ,,,my arse there’s never been a virus or bacteria that kids don’t spread like wildfire , now a new strain ( mutant ,big scary word more so than strain) ,won’t affect the vaccine potency ,won’t be more deadly just be wildly more contagious than the most contagious virus we’ve ever seen ( ordinary COVID) so be afraid ,be very afraid ,in fact just be obedient cause if your not afraid of it yourself we are gonna get you with the don’t kill your granny guilt stuff ( anybody getting a vibe of that old time religion yet?)

we slate the Jehovah s who would allow loved ones to die over blood transfusion but we are already so conditioned we would and do allow our loved ones to die alone and scared ? let alone live out tail end of live alone ,scared ,feeling unloved ,isolated and abandoned.

never mind conspiracy theories people need to wake up to the fact that we are being dehumanised 

Archived