Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Not to derail an important thread Monty, but I have wondered what today’s twenty somethings would think about the likes of the Avenger, Allegro, the 1100, Imp...boy did we have some beauties. ?

Don’t forget the reliant robin which you could drive on a provisional license but you couldn’t carry passengers 

25 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Doesn't say much really, not sure why he has changed his tune. Just said it doesnt look good, I thought that was obvious to everyone?

Didn't really say much in first quote either but he has now gone from not being concerned to doesn't look good...give him another 24 hours and who knows what he will say. 

Me old Granny used to tell us that Coughs and sneezes spread diseases, it’s a pretty well known thing when you think about it.

We say “bless you “ when some one sneezes, it’s sort of obvious that influenza type stuff is spread through coughing and sneezing yet all of a sudden asymptomatic people can spread an airborne disease to others. 

Love this thread - Grumpy Git from Derby has heard a rumour on the vaccine from Oxford. Same source as Derby’s sheikh takeover?

Plus 500,000 vaccinations done so far in this country and we know of two nurses who were already high risk of allergic reactions have a bad reaction. Bloody hell, if that’s it so far then that’s a huge thumbs up for this vaccine.

Simple stays of that 1 in 30 Brits have had it would suggest that 17,000 of those half a million will catch it and given that the vast majority are 80 plus, 1,700 of them will die. Now of course it’s early days - I get that but for two allergic reactions (they are fine those two nurses who had the reaction), we’ve maybe saved 1,700 lives. That’s pretty damn good already!!

22 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Me old Granny used to tell us that Coughs and sneezes spread diseases, it’s a pretty well known thing when you think about it.

We say “bless you “ when some one sneezes, it’s sort of obvious that influenza type stuff is spread through coughing and sneezing yet all of a sudden asymptomatic people can spread an airborne disease to others. 

Coughing and sneezing will increase the rate, but people who are asymptomatic are still spreading the virus by similar mechanisms. 

I’m off to visit my 94 year old mother tomorrow. Tier 3 to tier 3.

we had to miss her birthday a couple of weeks ago, and at her age, these events are precious.

she has had jab 1 of 2.

she will be the only person we see over xmas unless some uninvited visitors turn up on xmas day. And we haven’t had any visitors for 2 weeks. Only a couple of trips out to deliver presents to doorsteps at a safe distance with mask wearing.no going inside. 

I told her we would be coming just hours before the rules changed.

We have misgivings because we will be breaking the law, but....it would be wrong to mess her about as she lives on her own and has little to look forward to.

I thought we would count as part of a support bubble, but I’ve since realised that this is wrong as only one household can be in a support bubble. 
i can’t see the point in having to travel on xmas day as she would then be with other family members and we would have increased mutual risk of transmission . So one visit, 2 days early.

after this I might not see her for months again.

Is this wrong?

if I get stopped by police I’ll just have to say I’m out testing my eyesight, 

5 hours ago, RamNut said:

we had to miss her birthday a couple of weeks ago, and at her age, these events are precious.

she has had jab 1 of 2.

she will be the only person we see over xmas unless some uninvited visitors turn up on xmas day. And we haven’t had any visitors for 2 weeks. Only a couple of trips out to deliver presents to doorsteps at a safe distance with mask wearing.no going inside. 

We have misgivings because we will be breaking the law, but....it would be wrong to mess her about as she lives on her own and has little to look forward to.

I thought we would count as part of a support bubble, but I’ve since realised that this is wrong as only one household can be in a support bubble. 
i can’t see the point in having to travel on xmas day as she would then be with other family members and we would have increased mutual risk of transmission . So one visit, 2 days early.

Is this wrong?

The regs say wrong and there’s plenty will look down on you for doing it , personally I think these kind of human dilemma s are the biggest problem with the situation we are in , I can’t and won’t tell you what’s right or wrong ,all I can tell you is that in your situation I would be doing exactly as you plan to do with as much care as I could take ,these scenarios go beyond jobs and money and are certainly one are where people should not be told what to do by government but rather advised , given the best information to make the choice and left to make that choice 

5 hours ago, RamNut said:

she has had jab 1 of 2.

Is this wrong?

I don't see what you are doing wrong?

Does your mum live alone?

If so, why can she not form a support bubble with your household?

45 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I don't see what you are doing wrong?

Does your mum live alone?

If so, why can she not form a support bubble with your household?

Each household can only have one support bubble so I guess he means either his mum already has or he has one with another household? 

The whole bubble thing is a mess anyway, wildly misunderstood. 

Turns out that there's an exemption in the rule that any household with a baby under 1 can meet with as many people as they want. 

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Coughing and sneezing are common symptoms of 'airborne diseases' so that person wouldn't be classes as 'asymptomatic', surely?

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

she has had jab 1 of 2.

Is this wrong?

A support bubble links 2 households together. As your mother lives by herself, she can form a support bubble with another house of any size. Having a carer does not affect forming a support bubble with another house. You cannot form a support bubble with more than 1 household, but you can change support bubbles (minimum of 10 days separation between changes).

There are other inclusions relating to children and/or disabilities but I'm guessing they don't apply.

23 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Each household can only have one support bubble so I guess he means either his mum already has or he has one with another household? 

The whole bubble thing is a mess anyway, wildly misunderstood. 

Turns out that there's an exemption in the rule that any household with a baby under 1 can meet with as many people as they want. 

Where does it say this?

42 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Coughing and sneezing are common symptoms of 'airborne diseases' so that person wouldn't be classes as 'asymptomatic', surely?

A support bubble links 2 households together. As your mother lives by herself, she can form a support bubble with another house of any size. Having a carer does not affect forming a support bubble with another house. You cannot form a support bubble with more than 1 household, but you can change support bubbles (minimum of 10 days separation between changes).

There are other inclusions relating to children and/or disabilities but I'm guessing they don't apply.

She will be in a bubble with my brother’s household. 
we are a different household.

11 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

How does that work if people aren't coughing and sneezing?

The infected person will have the virus in their mouth and one their hands. Therefore any kissing, touching, secondary contacts off door handles, furniture, etc. In the early transmissions some people caught it in choirs from singing in close proximity. One couple caught it after sitting in the same seats in church as an infected couple had earlier occupied. 

or they might have eaten the same bat. 

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

She will be in a bubble with my brother’s household. 
we are a different household.

If your mum would like to see you, you should go. At 94 she has the right in my view to make a decision what is best for her overall health.  Your visit hopefully will give her a great lift, and be of comfort to you too. Merry Christmas.

I collected my support bubble person yesterday (my son doesn't drive). It was the first time I've driven more than 10 miles since March 23rd. I have a feeling that he will be staying at my house for some time (his area is currently tier 2) given the rumours that much of the country will be in tier 4 from next week.

Archived