Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

These are the latest regs I can find as of 18th December.  There is a caveat that that you can't stay in a tier 2 second home if you live in tier 3.

people who live in Tier 2 areas are advised not to travel to a Tier 3 area, or have overnight stays in Tier 3 areas other than where necessary, such as:

for work

for education

to access voluntary, charitable or youth services

to visit your support bubble

to receive medical treatment

for moving home

because of caring responsibilities

those living in a Tier 2 area can travel through a Tier 3 area as a part of a longer journey.

Are advised not to... Or are at risk of a fine... 

28 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Almost every time I eat a curry takeaway I get hiccups - no joke.

I think it's an allergic reaction.

My wife, bless her, says it's because I eat like a pig and get air trapped in my the food.

I'm quietly confident that her and her science are wrong.

I get that if I have a curry with hot chillis in them ie the ones with obvious pieces of whole chilli still in them. They are pretty bad for my insides too.

Indian colleague of mine reckoned these are poor quality curries anyway, where they just shove in some chillis at the end to make it hot/inedible for your British bloke. The best ones are when the chilli has been put into the paste early and left to simmer for a long time.

Think he is right as my favourite ones are when the heat builds up over time and you end up sweating, rather than burn your mouth on first spoonful.

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

Beautiful location

Yes, I’ve heard so many good things about the city. But let’s see what happens. It’s all up in the air at the moment.

What I don’t understand is the inconsistency of the rules laid out by these governments.

Spain, as an example. Currently you can travel from the UK but only if you are a national or resident of that country.

OK, clearly this is to avoid families and loved ones being separated at this time of year, I get that.

But in terms of safety, are Spanish nationals and residents coming from the UK any less likely to spread the virus than an ordinary traveller coming from the UK?

Similarly, an earlier rule Spain had about PCR testing. You had to take a pre-arrival test if you were travelling into Spain by plane or boat, but were exempt from this if you were travelling by bus, car or train. Again, surely if it was in the interest of safety, travellers coming in by bus, car or train would be considered just as much of a risk?

Here in the UK, we have some nonsensical regulations but it seems Europe is not immune.

17 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Are advised not to... Or are at risk of a fine... 

Well the latest guidance is a few days old .  I would suggest your best bet might be to contact the local authority in charge of the place your planning to visit.  They should be able to give you the best local information.  Might be better to get it in the form of email but might be a bit late now.

55 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I was thinking of driving back with the kids to Derby on Boxing Day (from a tier 2 area) for a socially distanced walk with my family. Am I at risk of a fine? 

I seriously doubt it. The thing about people going to tier 2 areas & drinking was in the news at the weekend, so presumably the police have decided to try & deter it. Under pressure from above, probably.

Do you think for one minute that the parks etc are going to be patrolled by police demanding to know where you live?.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I seriously doubt it. The thing about people going to tier 2 areas & drinking was in the news at the weekend, so presumably the police have decided to try & deter it. Under pressure from above, probably.

Do you think for one minute that the parks etc are going to be patrolled by police demanding to know where you live?.

Yeh... My worry was more about driving down the motorway and being stopped.. 

24 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Yes, I’ve heard so many good things about the city. But let’s see what happens. It’s all up in the air at the moment.

What I don’t understand is the inconsistency of the rules laid out by these governments.

Spain, as an example. Currently you can travel from the UK but only if you are a national or resident of that country.

OK, clearly this is to avoid families and loved ones being separated at this time of year, I get that.

But in terms of safety, are Spanish nationals and residents coming from the UK any less likely to spread the virus than an ordinary traveller coming from the UK?

Similarly, an earlier rule Spain had about PCR testing. You had to take a pre-arrival test if you were travelling into Spain by plane or boat, but were exempt from this if you were travelling by bus, car or train. Again, surely if it was in the interest of safety, travellers coming in by bus, car or train would be considered just as much of a risk?

Here in the UK, we have some nonsensical regulations but it seems Europe is not immune.

I do get it. I also get the idea behind the UK having seemingly nonsensical rules. I don't think it's the best way, but I think I understand the logic behind it.

We're going for control, not eradication. Keep the R number at or below 1 as much as possible, as the case loads are still manageable. If it rises, we lock down tighter to get the numbers back into the controllable range. 

The plan is to restrict our ability to pass on the virus just enough to keep the R level down and the cases manageable. That means you can have some risky behaviour/contact but limited as much as possible. At present in most of the UK it's too prevalent to allow the kind of freedom to go for a beer or go to a restaurant in much of the country, and even where it is it's expected to not be for long. If we get it under enough control we are allowed out just enough, but eventually the virus rates rise and we have to lock back down. So back to no beer and no restaurants.

Spain presumably feel they can allow their virus rate to rise by a figure they calculate based on the number of Spanish citizens travelling from the UK, but can't allow it to rise by the figure they calculate when all travellers are allowed in to Spain from the UK. It's a balancing act and they no doubt feel they have a responsibility to give their own citizens a way out of what must be seen as a dangerous country at the moment.

Envious of the likes of Australia, who had the mechanism to control and eradicate early on. I think that option was lost by the end of February, as we thought Cheltenham more important than an eradication strategy. 

The sarcasm around "oh, the virus can't spread after 10am" or "the virus can't move between areas" is just purposely missing the point.

48 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Yeh... My worry was more about driving down the motorway and being stopped.. 

I think the worst is if someone randomly stops you is you will be instructed to turn around and return.

No knowlegde behind that other than i think the police have tried to use common sense. I think even in the reports of fining people from going to tier 2 for drinks that came out the police did attempt to get people to go home, they fined those who persisted.

5 hours ago, sage said:

He actually said 3 words in that whole sentence. SAGE said 'up to' 70%. 

It's interesting that you chose to believe one doctor, when the weight of scientific opinion in Germany suggests that it is sufficiently worried to ban travel from the UK. So all the top scientists in the UK and 40 other countries think it's a problem, but this one bloke from Berlin is telling 'the truth'. 

Can you point me in the direction of 'the weight of scientific opinion in Germany' please, I will take a read.

This 'one bloke' being a top virologist in Germany, why would he not be 'telling the truth'?

35 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I do get it. I also get the idea behind the UK having seemingly nonsensical rules. I don't think it's the best way, but I think I understand the logic behind it.

We're going for control, not eradication. Keep the R number at or below 1 as much as possible, as the case loads are still manageable. If it rises, we lock down tighter to get the numbers back into the controllable range. 

The plan is to restrict our ability to pass on the virus just enough to keep the R level down and the cases manageable. That means you can have some risky behaviour/contact but limited as much as possible. At present in most of the UK it's too prevalent to allow the kind of freedom to go for a beer or go to a restaurant in much of the country, and even where it is it's expected to not be for long. If we get it under enough control we are allowed out just enough, but eventually the virus rates rise and we have to lock back down. So back to no beer and no restaurants.

Spain presumably feel they can allow their virus rate to rise by a figure they calculate based on the number of Spanish citizens travelling from the UK, but can't allow it to rise by the figure they calculate when all travellers are allowed in to Spain from the UK. It's a balancing act and they no doubt feel they have a responsibility to give their own citizens a way out of what must be seen as a dangerous country at the moment.

Envious of the likes of Australia, who had the mechanism to control and eradicate early on. I think that option was lost by the end of February, as we thought Cheltenham more important than an eradication strategy. 

The sarcasm around "oh, the virus can't spread after 10am" or "the virus can't move between areas" is just purposely missing the point.

I just find the whole situation frustrating. Two aspects of it really.

One, the monetisation of a health crisis. Think about the costs involved in PCR testing and vaccines. Two, the lack of clear, logical and consistent steps taken by governments.

When you add Brexit to the mix, it does feel like ordinary British people are being punished.

I am trying to follow measures as best as I can, but I think the disillusionment and fatigue around the virus is only going to grow from here.

4 hours ago, Wolfie said:

I can't find the story now but read early this morning that Germany is not happy at all about the EU vaccine programme, that we decided not to join. Slow to accept the pfizer vaccine and they are not going to have enough doses on order because the French put the EU under pressure to order from one of their producers - only that vaccine has been delayed until late 2021.

Glad we decided to go it alone on this one.

Nope, you must be mistaken.

Our Government were incompetent for not joining this scheme, read it on here somewhere, will try and post a link later.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

On a slightly similar note.

There's been a spate of court cases locally, of people being fined, (most of them £344), for being in the wrong place with no lawful reason. 

These all date back to April, but only now coming to court. As the addresses are given, and the location of the offence, it sounds to me like a lot of them were on foot.

20 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

On a slightly similar note.

There's been a spate of court cases locally, of people being fined, (most of them £344), for being in the wrong place with no lawful reason

These all date back to April, but only now coming to court. As the addresses are given, and the location of the offence, it sounds to me like a lot of them were on foot.

Apparently Rooney claimed he was legitimately at Pride Park to play football, but having renewed the video evidence he was unable to prove this claim. ?

8 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Apparently Rooney claimed he was legitimately at Pride Park to play football, but having renewed the video evidence he was unable to prove this claim. ?

This set a legal precedent that Bristol city s Chris Martin has instructed his barrister to challenge 

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Can you point me in the direction of 'the weight of scientific opinion in Germany' please, I will take a read.

This 'one bloke' being a top virologist in Germany, why would he not be 'telling the truth'?

Maybe just jumping the gun a bit ?

https://www.thelocal.de/20201222/unfortunately-this-does-not-look-good-german-virologist-changes-tune-on-new-covid-strain

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Nope, you must be mistaken.

Our Government were incompetent for not joining this scheme, read it on here somewhere, will try and post a link later.

I think it's important if we are to retain any semblance of credibility that we acknowledge the wins of the people we oppose.

Trump did a good job (it would seem) in the Middle East and he did at least stand up to the Chinese on the issue of intellectual property rights.

Boris and the government did a good job on this.

I mean they've still screwed up almost everything in their path on the way to making this decision and it may have been born out of desperation, but a good job it was. 

And here is a picture of Boris leaving Downing Street earlier and celebrating with the nut he found.

boris.jpeg

Archived