Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I am supposed to be moving to Spain in eight days.

Ouch Falling Down GIF by RETROFUNK

Got a cunning plan...get yourself to Dover and when you see a dinghy full illegal immigrants give them a fiver (maybe a tenner in you are in festive spirit) for the dingy and off you go. When you get to Calais, sell the dinghy for a grand or 2. Sorted.

16 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Got a cunning plan...get yourself to Dover and when you see a dinghy full illegal immigrants give them a fiver (maybe a tenner in you are in festive spirit) for the dingy and off you go. When you get to Calais, sell the dinghy for a grand or 2. Sorted.

I think sharks would suddenly appear in the Channel. It’s been that kind of year. ?

Just now, Jourdan said:

I think sharks would suddenly appear in the Channel. It’s been that kind of year. ?

I don't think there would be many, in fact I think they would be lone sharks ?

7 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Didn’t you say patient zero for one of there recent mutations was from the UK?

They did. That's not blaming the UK though, it was a mistake on our end that lead to the outbreak. 

8 hours ago, ketteringram said:

Are no people coming in or out of the country at all? Or is happening, but with strict quarantine rules?

Tons of people are coming in, but are placed in strict quarantine. 

9 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

So a lock in, as opposed to a lock down?

Typical Aussies!  ?

Basically, it works well for the most part. 

I see in the USA they have started rolling out the vaccine, i understand they have limited doses too but seems to be lots of high profile figures receeving it, Biden/Pence etc....

Assume the priority list differs somewhat over there.

1 hour ago, Sith Happens said:

I see in the USA they have started rolling out the vaccine, i understand they have limited doses too but seems to be lots of high profile figures receeving it, Biden/Pence etc....

well Biden is in a high risk group

A top German virologist heavily played down fears about Britain’s mutant strain of COVID-19, saying he was ‘not so worried’ and questioning the government’s claim that it is 70 percent more infectious.

Christian Drosten, the director of virology at Berlin’s Charite Hospital, said the 70 percent figure was ‘simply called that’, suggesting that SAGE estimates have been overblown and potentially misleading.

Christian Drosten is regarded as Germany’s top virologist

‘I wonder whether a scientist gave an estimate, or perhaps asked what he would say if he had to give a figure, and then it takes on a life of its own. Then it enters politics and politicians use this figure and the media takes it up,’ Drosten said.

‘Suddenly there’s a figure out there, 70 percent, and nobody even knows what it means.’

Germany is one of the more than 40 countries which have shut their borders to British flights because of the new strain. But Drosten said the new variant was likely already in Germany, saying he was ‘not so worried’ about it.

No surprise about the emboldened paragraph.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

A top German virologist heavily played down fears about Britain’s mutant strain of COVID-19, saying he was ‘not so worried’ and questioning the government’s claim that it is 70 percent more infectious.

Christian Drosten, the director of virology at Berlin’s Charite Hospital, said the 70 percent figure was ‘simply called that’, suggesting that SAGE estimates have been overblown and potentially misleading.

Christian Drosten is regarded as Germany’s top virologist

‘I wonder whether a scientist gave an estimate, or perhaps asked what he would say if he had to give a figure, and then it takes on a life of its own. Then it enters politics and politicians use this figure and the media takes it up,’ Drosten said.

‘Suddenly there’s a figure out there, 70 percent, and nobody even knows what it means.’

Germany is one of the more than 40 countries which have shut their borders to British flights because of the new strain. But Drosten said the new variant was likely already in Germany, saying he was ‘not so worried’ about it.

No surprise about the emboldened paragraph.

He actually said 3 words in that whole sentence. SAGE said 'up to' 70%. 

It's interesting that you chose to believe one doctor, when the weight of scientific opinion in Germany suggests that it is sufficiently worried to ban travel from the UK. So all the top scientists in the UK and 40 other countries think it's a problem, but this one bloke from Berlin is telling 'the truth'. 

30 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

'I wonder whether a scientist gave an estimate, or perhaps asked what he would say if he had to give a figure, and then it takes on a life of its own. Then it enters politics and politicians use this figure and the media takes it up,’ Drosten said.

Indeed. I can come up with about 350 million other examples of this sort of thing.

4 hours ago, Sith Happens said:

Probably the 2020 equivalent of feeding your kids mad cow beefburgers for the cameras.

I can't find the story now but read early this morning that Germany is not happy at all about the EU vaccine programme, that we decided not to join. Slow to accept the pfizer vaccine and they are not going to have enough doses on order because the French put the EU under pressure to order from one of their producers - only that vaccine has been delayed until late 2021.

Glad we decided to go it alone on this one.

4 hours ago, Sith Happens said:

6 DECEMBER

The Queen will reportedly receive the COVID-19 vaccine within weeks 

Buckingham Palace said it would not comment on The Mail On Sunday story which claimed a public announcement would encourage more people to get the jab.

The monarch, 94, and Prince Philip, 99, will not receive preferential treatment, according to the newspaper.

9TH DECEMBER

The Queen has been seen with several other members of the Royal Family for the first time since the start of the coronavirus pandemic.

Her Majesty, 94, was joined by the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall, Prince William and Kate, the Earl and Countess of Wessex, and the Princess Royal, who all stood socially distant by the steps of Windsor Castle.

Probably not so different

40 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

6 DECEMBER

The Queen will reportedly receive the COVID-19 vaccine within weeks 

Buckingham Palace said it would not comment on The Mail On Sunday story which claimed a public announcement would encourage more people to get the jab.

The monarch, 94, and Prince Philip, 99, will not receive preferential treatment, according to the newspaper.

9TH DECEMBER

The Queen has been seen with several other members of the Royal Family for the first time since the start of the coronavirus pandemic.

Her Majesty, 94, was joined by the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall, Prince William and Kate, the Earl and Countess of Wessex, and the Princess Royal, who all stood socially distant by the steps of Windsor Castle.

Probably not so different

I would also guess the Queen and Prince Phillip won't be queuing at their local medical centre for their turn...just like my Granny won't be bringing in millions of pounds worth of tourism or agreeing who runs the next government. I'm no lover of the royals but let's be realistic! 

The claim about vaccines triggering rare allergic reactions is a worrying development ...

4 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I would also guess the Queen and Prince Phillip won't be queuing at their local medical centre for their turn...just like my Granny won't be bringing in millions of pounds worth of tourism or agreeing who runs the next government. I'm no lover of the royals but let's be realistic! 

The claim about vaccines triggering rare allergic reactions is a worrying development ...

Don't get me started on the royals . It could be a long night for everyone.  There's a reason they all live till there 108. 

The only reaction i've heard of so far is a dry mouth .  I'm kind of around this vaccine most days at work  and my worry is how careful they are giving it . It will take a long time to roll out. Bend me over now and i'd happily take it where they like. 

12 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

I've just had it on good authority that there is a hiccup in the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine. ?

If true, that's horrendous news and enough to basically write off a good proportion of next year. 

The regulator is taking a lot more longer with this one than the one in use now. 

Fingers crossed... 

Archived