Coronavirus

1of4

Just now, B4ev6is said:

Is she feeling any better at all mate.

I think she will be ok, she is young and just feeling a bit rough.

Cheers for asking.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Johnson could just have said do not leave the South East from now and that police will be asking people at stations and roads if they are genuinely travelling to their home after visiting London. People will be fined for leaving their home in the South East to travel elsewhere.

Get a few police doing checks at stations and major roads and publicise it. This would put plenty of people of breaking the rules if they knew there was a chance of getting caught.

I know some people who work on the trains. They were completely overwhelmed last night, didn't know the announcement was going to happen any more than we did and the few staff on duty, including railway police, could not physically  prevent people from travelling even if they had tried. As you say, they weren't doing anything illegal, just stupid.

The trains have been very slack for months now, but a lot of people with a prebooked ticket turned up last night instead of travelling home in much smaller numbers over several days between now and Christmas Eve.

Let's hope they didn't all take an unexpected extra present home to their families.

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

I know some people who work on the trains. They were completely overwhelmed last night, didn't know the announcement was going to happen any more than we did and the few staff on duty, including railway police, could not physically  prevent people from travelling even if they had tried. As you say, they weren't doing anything illegal, just stupid.

The trains have been very slack for months now, but a lot of people with a prebooked ticket turned up last night instead of travelling home in much smaller numbers over several days between now and Christmas Eve.

Let's hope they didn't all take an unexpected extra present home to their families.

Im assuming they all must work in London but have other homes, or family elsewhere.

I dont know the numbers, its easy for images to give a false impression but expect a surge of people travelling back to London for the start of work after the new year.

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

The same grandparent/parent could get ran over by a bus on Boxing Day so Imagine living with the guilt of not seeing them for one last Christmas. We are strangling our lives for ifs, buts and maybes. 

Where's the 'guilt' in making a call that protects loved ones? Regret and guilt are wildly differing things! 

As for the bus analogy ? Jaysus, that's weak AF!

Let me ask you this; with up to 2 million students returning home, do you not think some will be carrying Covid? And if you accept that some will be, do you not also accept they may unintentionally infect loved ones?

Now tell me this; how many grandparents do you estimate will suffer 'death by bus' on Boxing day?!? We can throw in death by low-flying aircraft, lightning strike, or electric carving knife, just to make it a bit fairer if you like!

Let's have a rough tot up after Xmas and see which proved the greater risk, shall we? ?‍♂️

4 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Where's the 'guilt' in making a call that protects loved ones? Regret and guilt are wildly differing things! 

Let me ask you this; with up to 2 million students returning home, do you not think some will be carrying Covid? And if you accept that some will be, do you not also accept they may unintentionally infect loved ones?

Now tell me this; how many grandparents do you estimate will suffer 'death by bus' on Boxing day?!? We can throw in death by low-flying aircraft, lightening strike, or electric carving knife, just to make it a bit fairer if you like!

Let's have a rough tot up after Xmas and see which proved the greater risk, shall we? ?‍♂️

Just checked and even more unlikely. ?Capture.thumb.PNG.df17f7320c5056bd9b7edd147ac602cd.PNG

40 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

That's a rubbish analogy. What if the kids had a fatal accident travelling to see their parents which wouldn't have happened if they'd stayed in London? 

As you say, too many many if's, but's and maybe's. It makes no sense to risk passing the virus onto your parents/grandparents just in case something else unexpected might happen.

Totally agree, that kind of analogy is going to get you knocked out in the preliminary round of the Under 12s' debating championship of Chaddesden.

This government needs to pick a team, any team. This constant trying to please everyone is bollx. IF they feel a lockdown is the only answer, then fund it properly and ducking lock down properly, no poxy education in a school or uni. No half arsed, you can go to work with someone ( who incidentally, I have no way of knowing what they do or see outside work) but not see someone who you know is pretty careful and is treating this, in their mind, seriously.. You know who they are. Or go the other way and try and protect the venerable (properly) and let everyone else crack on.. Let’s have it right, there are two camps here and whatever you choose will get vilified.. But at least it’s a ducking decision.. 
Piss poor at the moment, sound bites and little substance.. Pick a camp, grow a pair and get on with it.. You never know, even those who are not your biggest fans, might have some respect..

Rant over.. 

If this new strain is much more contagious, then the likelihood of it being as dangerous should be less, yet the reaction seems to be that it's just as deadly.  There is no evidence of it being more dangerous, so the stance seems to be that while there is no evidence that it isn't, it will treated as if it is.

23 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Now tell me this; how many grandparents do you estimate will suffer 'death by bus' on Boxing day?!? We can throw in death by low-flying aircraft, lightning strike, or electric carving knife, just to make it a bit fairer if you like!

Behind your sarcasm and desperate want for laughing face emojis, I think you got my drift. So what if we’re in the same position next year? then what, same again? And the year after? How long do we not see grandparents etc for?. Do we carry on living like this because someone might get infected and some might get sick? 

25 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Behind your sarcasm and desperate want for laughing face emojis, I think you got my drift. So what if we’re in the same position next year? then what, same again? And the year after? How long do we not see grandparents etc for?. Do we carry on living like this because someone might get infected and some might get sick? 

Have you heard about the vaccine?

40 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

This government needs to pick a team, any team. This constant trying to please everyone is bollx. IF they feel a lockdown is the only answer, then fund it properly and ducking lock down properly, no poxy education in a school or uni. No half arsed, you can go to work with someone ( who incidentally, I have no way of knowing what they do or see outside work) but not see someone who you know is pretty careful and is treating this, in their mind, seriously.. You know who they are. Or go the other way and try and protect the venerable (properly) and let everyone else crack on.. Let’s have it right, there are two camps here and whatever you choose will get vilified.. But at least it’s a ducking decision.. 
Piss poor at the moment, sound bites and little substance.. Pick a camp, grow a pair and get on with it.. You never know, even those who are not your biggest fans, might have some respect..

Rant over.. 

I know we have not seen eye to eye lately but I agree with you on this one mate.

14 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Have you heard about the vaccine?

Yep just don’t trust our scientists or leaders, so it’ll be a huge rooster up im sure.

interesting example of why and a different story we were told yesterday as well

Just now, TexasRam said:

Yep just don’t trust our scientists or leaders, so it’ll be a huge rooster up im sure

They're only confident it will last several months. Obviously they don't have the data for any further, but nobody knows.  And it doesn't stop the virus spreading through populations. 

I will change my life expectations when antibodies in those in the trials are still showing the same antibodies in the summer. 

Until then, Ive given up on next year. Summer 2022 for more normality is my guess. 

38 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Yep , much as the usual suspects won’t see beyond they’re own point I can tell you I played golf with a friend last week who has followed all the rules including not seeing his ageing father who has now died and can tell you he is suffering a lot with regrets , guilt and questions of whether he did the right thing and that won’t ever leave him,,, COVID is NOT the be all and end all of everything 

17 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I fail to see any attempt at comedy in my post. Quite the opposite, in fact. I guess in the same way that you are unable to distinguish between guilt and regret, you also mistakenly conflate comedic intent with downright disdain. 

On the same note, nor have I said I even agree with the stance the government is taking. What I can say is that I'll now not be spending Christmas with my lad, nor my father who falls into the highly vulnerable category, nor any other member of my family for that matter. My first post clearly explains why. I'll also not be using crass analogies in an attempt to defence my stance.

Addressing your questions (despite the fact you've sidestepped mine), I can't speak to the future any more than you can. What I am certain of however, is that should my father pass before next Christmas, which given his recent health scares which include cancer, is not out of the question, I shall regret the decision, but any such regret will be tempered by the knowledge that the call made for the right reasons. What I won't be feeling, is any guilt. How do you suppose I'd feel if I unwittingly passed on the virus?*

* For clarity, that's a rhetorical question and given you'd rather swap petty insults than actually respond to any question asked of you, you really needn't bother responding. 

13 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Yep just don’t trust our scientists or leaders, so it’ll be a huge rooster up im sure.

interesting example of why and a different story we were told yesterday as well

Truth is they feel promising Christmas was a mistake and not got the balls to say so , so we now have this mutant stalking the streets to justify the change but actually there really is NO CHANGE, I m going to work tomorrow as is my wife ( in child care ) mixing with multiple people who we have no way of knowing how they live they’re lives but can’t mix with people who we have a much greater chance of asking and knowing the care they take,,, it’s b locks and has been from day 1

19 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I fail to see any attempt at comedy in my post. Quite the opposite, in fact. I guess in the same way that you are unable to distinguish between guilt and regret, you also mistakenly conflate comedic intent with downright disdain. 

On the same note, nor have I said I even agree with the stance the government is taking. What I can say is that I'll now not be spending Christmas with my lad, nor my father who falls into the highly vulnerable category, nor any other member of my family for that matter. My first post clearly explains why. I'll also not be using crass analogies in an attempt to defence my stance.

Addressing your questions (despite the fact you've sidestepped mine), I can't speak to the future any more than you can. What I am certain of however, is that should my father pass before next Christmas, which given his recent health scares which include cancer, is not out of the question, I shall regret the decision, but any such regret will be tempered by the knowledge that the call made for the right reasons. What I won't be feeling, is any guilt. How do you suppose I'd feel if I unwittingly passed on the virus?*

* For clarity, that's a rhetorical question and given you'd rather swap petty insults than actually respond to any question asked of you, you really needn't bother responding. 

No insults just observations from yours posts. The point of my original post is time is precious, we should make our own decisions on who we see and when and live with those decisions.  

Archived