Coronavirus

1of4

2 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Apparently “there’s no evidence to suggest it’s any more lethal than the original strain, nor that it’s immune to the vaccine”, or something along those lines.

Weasel words though, nothing to say it isn’t more lethal and that the current vaccine works.  Nobody knows

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Weasel words though, nothing to say it isn’t more lethal and that the current vaccine works.  Nobody knows

No, but it's not unusual for viruses to mutate and for vaccines still to be effective. The issue here appears to the the rate it's transmitting, it wouldn't even be a surprise if the new version is a milder version.

8 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Hopefully, Oxford one should be approved soon which will increase the weekly rate. The main thing is to protect the vulnerable who are most at vulnerable and enable the NHS to run at normal levels, fingers crossed.

Think the Oxford AZ vaccine is our only way out of this in the foreseeable future.

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Nothing to forgive. I have no problem with you having concerns. I have the same concerns.

Ive already said that it looks like negligence.

I don't know who was making the decisions and what the thought process was behind it. 

If it was based on the scientists telling them that we needed empty beds otherwise the NHS would be overwhelmed, then isnt them sending people to where they could be looked after a decision where you can see the logic?

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Nothing to forgive. I have no problem with you having concerns. I have the same concerns.

Ive already said that it looks like negligence.

I don't know who was making the decisions and what the thought process was behind it. 

If it was based on the scientists telling them that we needed empty beds otherwise the NHS would be overwhelmed, then isnt them sending people to where they could be looked after a decision where you can see the logic?

Which scientists? You say you don’t know who then the following paragraph the only people you mention are scientists.  Not politicians, nhs management, care home management or a myriad of other people.  

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Think the Oxford AZ vaccine is our only way out of this in the foreseeable future.

Yup, even then we are reliant on the government putting together a programme that can deliver several million doses a week...how much confidence have we in that. Being on the vulnerable list, not that I self isolate just live to a risk basis rule, I reckon I'm still looking at Easter at the earliest.

7 minutes ago, Mark of Ayrshire said:

Which scientists? You say you don’t know who then the following paragraph the only people you mention are scientists.  Not politicians, nhs management, care home management or a myriad of other people.  

Hence why I said 'if it was the scientists' its them along with politicians that have been using the 'NHS overwhelmed' line. 

21 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

and what I said is valid I believe. There are folk throughout the country, not just the South East, that will ignore the rules.

You were generalising when you referred to people living in London and South East under the new restrictions as fat cats. This is clearly not appropriate as there are significant areas of poverty and deprivation down there.

I also normal people living to different rules.

23 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

and what I said is valid I believe. There are folk throughout the country, not just the South East, that will ignore the rules.

You were generalising when you referred to people living in London and South East under the new restrictions as fat cats. This is clearly not appropriate as there are significant areas of poverty and deprivation down there.

Certainly are. Hastings, much of north Kent and places in God's own county like Aldershot. 

And don't get me started on Portsmouth..... 

15 minutes ago, Mark of Ayrshire said:

So no answer of which scientists? Just some made up statement?

Well the Government are being advised by Sage aren't they?

I can go and find a list of the 52? people on Sage but I'm not sure what difference it would make to the point?

4 minutes ago, goldstar said:

They've openly said the vaccine doesn't protect you from catching Covid, nor does it stop you passing it on, just minimises the effects. 

When has anyone said this?

It's quite important, so it should be easy to find something that backs up the assertion?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

What are you basing this part on?

What is the end game? Number if deaths down to......? Number of people vaccinated at.....?

350,000 have had the first jab in the first 2 weeks but need the second jab still.

We need to vaccinate 60million allegedly and only have 5 million doses of the vaccine?

The extension of the furlough scheme to April indicates to me that the end is far from being in sight. 

To be clear, the governments plan is to vaccinate everyone above the age of 50. Anyone younger will not get it unless they are part of the "shielding" category. That means there will still be cases of covid around, most likely forever, but we'll have the capacity to deal with it then as the overall number would be much much lower.

The rumours are that the government will remove the tiers system at Easter, then it'll go into a "go back to normal but at your own risk".

6 minutes ago, goldstar said:

They've openly said the vaccine doesn't protect you from catching Covid, nor does it stop you passing it on, just minimises the effects. 

Not sure you have got this right.

Pretty sure they have said that they do not yet know if you can still carry and transmit the virus.

May be wrong though, if there has been a subsequent update.

Just now, Rev said:

When has anyone said this?

It's quite important, so it should be easy to find something that backs up the assertion?

Certainly! Can't attach the video but seeing as everyone loves a good TV reputable doctor, Dr Hillary on Good Morning Britain "doesn't necessarily stop her getting it doesnt stop her necessarily transmitting it" talking about the first lady to receive it. 

Also others but i would encourage you to do your own research, video can be found but don't just be spoonfed and don't take my word for it, have a look. 

2 minutes ago, Shang said:

To be clear, the governments plan is to vaccinate everyone above the age of 50. Anyone younger will not get it unless they are part of the "shielding" category. That means there will still be cases of covid around, most likely forever, but we'll have the capacity to deal with it then as the overall number would be much much lower.

The rumours are that the government will remove the tiers system at Easter, then it'll go into a "go back to normal but at your own risk".

Thanks for this.

If that is the plan, they need to say it now so that people can see the end game in sight.

There will be a lot of businesses that will need to gear up for Easter and that really could be last chance saloon for them.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure you have got this right.

Pretty sure they have said that they do not yet know if you can still carry and transmit the virus.

May be wrong though, if there has been a subsequent update.

Have a look yourself, out their own mouths, notice the distancing language so they can't say they didn't rule it out that the vaccine didn't prevent getting it or passing it on. 

Archived