Coronavirus

1of4

12 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Not sure of your point here. I wouldn’t think it feasible that we sign deals with every company developing a COVID vaccine. There are some 130 are’nt there? We have a signed agreement with Pfizer iirc, and we are heavily invested in the Oxford University programme which will deliver results almost certainly as data is shared across the developer community. The EU deal is a ‘potential’ deal and could be as little as 8 million, but perhaps up to 160m. If pooling resources is as effective getting vaccine as it was with PPE earlier this year, EU Citizens might be hoping that their respective Governments do a bit of independent sourcing too.

"oops, oh well"

Not everything has an overarching political point behind it or intended to make some sort of statement.

Simple reaction is simple.

Don't worry - you won't need to go all 'Albert' on me ?

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Bigfella said:

Also drug can be stored in normal freezers for 6 months and normal refrigerators for 39 days so distribution will be similar to normal vaccines and will use existing storages systems.

Didn’t someone mention -80 degrees? (Celsius I presume)

Or were they talking nitrogen/cryogenics?

Sounded way below domestic fridge- freezer levels.

Certainly won’t be transportable on the backs of bicycles in Africa like some news reports suggest!

1 hour ago, Brummie Steve said:

Didn’t someone mention -80 degrees? (Celsius I presume)

Or were they talking nitrogen/cryogenics?

Sounded way below domestic fridge- freezer levels.

Certainly won’t be transportable on the backs of bicycles in Africa like some news reports suggest!

That was for the Pfizer drug announced last week, the one I was quoting was for the one announced today which is easier to transport and store due to it requiring normal freezers and fridges.

4 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Not sure of your point here. I wouldn’t think it feasible that we sign deals with every company developing a COVID vaccine. There are some 130 are’nt there? We have a signed agreement with Pfizer iirc, and we are heavily invested in the Oxford University programme which will deliver results almost certainly as data is shared across the developer community. The EU deal is a ‘potential’ deal and could be as little as 8 million, but perhaps up to 160m. If pooling resources is as effective getting vaccine as it was with PPE earlier this year, EU Citizens might be hoping that their respective Governments do a bit of independent sourcing too.

I'm reading 80 to 160 million doses. Not bad considering the EU is 446 million population (and by spring will have dropped by 70m).

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-eu-moderna-price-excl-idUSKBN27W256

6 hours ago, Coconut said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/16/moderna-covid-vaccine-candidate-almost-95-effective-trials-show

"So far, the UK does not stand to benefit from the vaccine. Moderna has agreed deals to provide the US with 100 million doses, with an option to buy 400 million more. Japan, Canada, Switzerland, Qatar and Israel have also signed agreements, and the European Commission has a “potential purchase agreement” for 8 to 160 million doses. The UK chose not to participate in the EU scheme, with Matt Hancock arguing in July that the government could source vaccine faster on its own"

picard-meme-facepalm.jpg

Have to laugh at The Guardian

"So far, the Uk does not stand to benefit from the vaccine."

Yet 

European Commission has a “potential purchase agreement” for 8 to 160 million doses.

So unless I'm reading it wrong, so far, the EU also does not stand to benefit from the vaccine. 

3 hours ago, Chester40 said:

I have a very good friend who tested positive in June having been fairly ill (flu like symptoms). 

They suddenly lost their sense of taste/smell last week so they went for another test, which was positive. 

No other symptoms. Not sure what to make of it. 

I dont see why dont just copy that vaccine oh no that's all to easy.

11 hours ago, Coconut said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/16/moderna-covid-vaccine-candidate-almost-95-effective-trials-show

"So far, the UK does not stand to benefit from the vaccine. Moderna has agreed deals to provide the US with 100 million doses, with an option to buy 400 million more. Japan, Canada, Switzerland, Qatar and Israel have also signed agreements, and the European Commission has a “potential purchase agreement” for 8 to 160 million doses. The UK chose not to participate in the EU scheme, with Matt Hancock arguing in July that the government could source vaccine faster on its own"

picard-meme-facepalm.jpg

Is this one of those 'Images that preceed events' moments lol.

OK so I don't get this, we've now bought so many different vaccines that everybody can have about 5 doses each.

But seriously as a country we are going to have about 10 billion stockpiled in vaccines. Can you imagine the outcry at this down the line and yet us under 50's will have to wait bloody ages to get one.

46 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

Yep, my lad who lives in Singapore said it was around then. 

One theory was it was spread world wide by the thousands of participants in the Military games in Wuhan in October 2019. 

4 hours ago, rammieib said:

OK so I don't get this, we've now bought so many different vaccines that everybody can have about 5 doses each.

But seriously as a country we are going to have about 10 billion stockpiled in vaccines. Can you imagine the outcry at this down the line and yet us under 50's will have to wait bloody ages to get one.

Depends how long the vaccine, if it works at all, gives you immunity I guess.

No one seems to know that yet. Could be years, months,or six and a half weeks.

4 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Yep, my lad who lives in Singapore said it was around then. 

One theory was it was spread world wide by the thousands of participants in the Military games in Wuhan in October 2019. 

I wonder why the death rate didn't increase like it did in the spring if this was the case,  unless it was either not as potent initially or actually the huge increase in cases and deaths was because it was already circulating and wasn't an explosion of cases over a few weeks as appeared.

3 hours ago, Sith Happens said:

I wonder why the death rate didn't increase like it did in the spring if this was the case,  unless it was either not as potent initially or actually the huge increase in cases and deaths was because it was already circulating and wasn't an explosion of cases over a few weeks as appeared.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10538997/flu-cases-soar-death-toll-intensive-care/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50807003

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/06/us-flu-season-arrives-early-driven-by-an-unexpected-virus.html

3 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Cheers, I know lots of people, including myself, who were very ill last Christmas. If i had those symptoms today i would be convinced i had Covid.

I do still wonder, even with these reports, if it was circulating why it took until spring for excess deaths to be recorded.

I do recall some report that satellite images showed huge queues last summer in Wuhan outside medical centres, and hospitals..dont know if that was true or just media reporting.

Archived