Coronavirus

1of4

15 hours ago, Albert said:

But the whole point in Eyam was that they locked themselves in to stop the spread, not to save themselves. It's like saying 'silly soldiers, going off to war and still dying'. 

So they did their own lock down and half the village died.

I guess lock downs don't work LOL.

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=to8SzKdMtiE

Sums up politics of today and what politicians really think of the plebs who dare disagree with them

Pleb isn't the word I'd use for Dan Wootton. Attention-seeking gossip-columnist, talk radio idiot.

This is the sort of thing I was talking about earlier- the media driving a polarised view and seeking to cause division where we need unity. He doesn't believe any of the garbage he's spouting, he just wants to cause controversy

1 minute ago, SchtivePesley said:

Pleb isn't the word I'd use for Dan Wootton. Attention-seeking gossip-columnist, talk radio idiot.

This is the sort of thing I was talking about earlier- the media driving a polarised view and seeking to cause division where we need unity. He doesn't believe any of the garbage he's spouting, he just wants to cause controversy

And just ignoring reasonable points because you dislike the people making them only serves to make these divisions even bigger...

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

And just ignoring reasonable points because you dislike the people making them only serves to make these divisions even bigger...

I didn't ignore him, I considered his points and they were insincere nonsense, designed to cause an argument. You know how Talk Radio works right? He's not there to have a balanced thoughtful debate. That's not entertaining and it doesn't attract listeners

1 minute ago, SchtivePesley said:

I didn't ignore him, I considered his points and they were insincere nonsense, designed to cause an argument. You know how Talk Radio works right? He's not there to have a balanced thoughtful debate. That's not entertaining and it doesn't attract listeners

Yes I know fully how it works.

So you think a Labour politician calling the scientists behind the Grear Barrington Declaration crackpot is fine because it is insincere nonsense? Wow.

Lets just imagine being the main breadwinner in a Manchester family and you have a full-time job in a bar. Assuming minimum wage and full-time (40 hrs/week), your gross wages are £348.80/week. Lets also assume that you get 10% on top of that in tips, so gross wage is approx. £384/week.

Now imagine trying to live off 67% of your normal wage with no tips, the grand sum of £233.69 a week, (for a family)! Some football players will put that on a greyhound without thinking about it.

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

Just watched Andy Burnham's speech. Totally sincere, proper leadership. Everything that you know BJ isn't going to be in his speech shortly

You have to wonder what the parallel universe is like where he beat Corbyn in the 2015 Labour leadership fight

Sorry Schtive. Total baalocks. Political gambit. Posturing for his own philosophical gain. People are dying and he is crying fake tears and making political capital out of. Ok so fighting your corner, but he’s playing a game. Sincere ? Nope. Opportunist Opposing because it suits his political flag. Short sighted, narrow partisan. 

28 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes I know fully how it works.

So you think a Labour politician calling the scientists behind the Grear Barrington Declaration crackpot is fine because it is insincere nonsense? Wow.

I don't particularly like Dan Wootton but I agree that an MP should know how to behave and answer questions with authority not stoop to the level of the interviewer - or lower.

There are important debates to be had but one side seems incapable of living in anything other than the here and now.  As @Grumpy Git pointed out above the current Furlough scheme is coming to an end soon and will be replaced by a lesser one - its going to start hurting a lot of people quite badly.

11 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I don't particularly like Dan Wootton but I agree that an MP should know how to behave and answer questions with authority not stoop to the level of the interviewer - or lower.

There are important debates to be had but one side seems incapable of living in anything other than the here and now.  As @Grumpy Git pointed out above the current Furlough scheme is coming to an end soon and will be replaced by a lesser one - its going to start hurting a lot of people quite badly.

The MP obviously would have known what to expect before going on the radio show.

Wootton is a dick but he wasnt rude or anything to the MP, so for him to behave how he did was quite embarrassing. 

14 minutes ago, jono said:

Sorry Schtive. Total baalocks. Political gambit. Posturing for his own philosophical gain. People are dying and he is crying fake tears and making political capital out of. Ok so fighting your corner, but he’s playing a game. Sincere ? Nope. Opportunist Opposing because it suits his political flag. Short sighted, narrow partisan. 

Spot on. Found it quite amusing that @SchtivePesleyfell for it though after his post about Dan Woottons insincere nonsense!

54 minutes ago, jono said:

Great appraisal imho. His politicised stance has cost the people of Manchester 40 million quid in aid and will inevitably lead to a greater loss of life 

Edited by 1967RAMS

34 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Spot on. Found it quite amusing that @SchtivePesleyfell for it though after his post about Dan Woottons insincere nonsense!

Thanks.
Thing is what reasonable people, without a political ideology, would do is accept that there is a serious life threatening issues that needs action. You take the action and THEN discuss sensibly what to do about the fall out. Burnham is just bigging himself and his beliefs up and using a crisis that involves lives to do it. He has used “ultimatums” several times in his rhetoric yet It’s him that is fermenting the ultimatum / adversarial culture. Loathsome. ... yet he would be the first to say the govt isn’t protecting the hospitals.... I am disgusted by the sheer, rank, cynicism he is displaying. 

1 minute ago, jono said:

Why is it incompetent to suggest prompt action. Something Burnham is hampering for his own selfish political gain. 

Telling the local mayor live on air that you're not going to give them any cash after you've forced them to lockdown is pretty damn incompetent. Burnham wanted financial support for Manchester, he's doing what he was elected to do, looking after his city. Shameful from the government.

1 hour ago, jono said:

..... and Johnson and his "merry" bunch of no-hopers are not doing the same?

The UK cabinet is about as useful as a Derby side made up of 11 clones of Anya/Zoon.

13 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

..... and Johnson and his "merry" bunch of no-hopers are not doing the same?

The UK cabinet is about as useful as a Derby side made up of 11 clones of Anya/Zoon.

Well if they are they are not doing a very good job of it, massively down in the ratings.

1 hour ago, jono said:

Wow, I didn't see it like that at all, and I've no political leanings either way. 

I saw it as him speaking for his city in a calm passionate way. Many of the people he represents are going to be hit hard by this. 

The political stuff came from Johnson in the press conference by referencing Merseyside every couple of questions. 

The bit I need to study up on is the reference to Universal credit top ups that I've heard every Tory minister mention since last week. If its true, and it tops the wages upto 80%, then that's the level Andy Burnham was talking about in his press conference.