Coronavirus

1of4

18 minutes ago, Albert said:

If no vaccine is possible, it's likely for a similar reason as to herd immunity not being possible, that is, there is no way of generating lasting immunity.

Which is why a more balanced approach should be adopted.  Can't hide forever, can't live like we once did.

19 minutes ago, Albert said:

It's more than just delaying though. In countries where the disease is controlled they're simply not happening. It's been damn near half a year since the last death here in South Australia, and given the robust systems in place, so long as the ball isn't dropped, this could potentially go on indefinitely.

You keep talking up Australia like it is some sort of covid free paradise but to continue its largely infection free status will mean remaining under repeating hard lockdowns.

To quote The Shawshank Redemption, 'get busy living or get busy dying'

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, maxjam said:

The alternative is to remain locked away indefinitely.

I am already locked away indefinitely, largely because of the actions of morons who choose to ignore mask-wearing and social distancing. I guess it amounts to a life sentence if you have your way.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I am already locked away indefinitely, largely because of the actions of morons who choose to ignore mask-wearing and social distancing. I guess it amounts to a life sentence if you have your way.

Would you feel safe going outside if everyone was made to wear a mask by law?  What about to the pub, restaurant or Pride Park?  Or will the venues you choose to visit be limited until there is a vaccine anyway?

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Do you have parents or grandparents?

Get used to never seeing them again.

I have parents, my kids therefore have grandparents.  We see them every week - standing approx 5-10m apart on the drive.  Will that change until there is a vaccine?  They are relatively fit, active and healthy 70+ years olds but I guess not, which will be a crying shame if a vaccine is multiple years away.

Just now, maxjam said:

Would you feel safe going outside if everyone was made to wear a mask by law?  What about to the pub, restaurant or Pride Park?  Or will the venues you choose to visit be limited until there is a vaccine anyway?

I would feel hugely assured and an awful lot safer if everyone was made to wear a mask by law when outside at all times, not just when they are walking from pub door to table.

It is already being advocated, at least in the press, that those who are 'extremely vulnerable' will be placed under lockdown again until next May.

I don't think that I will ever visit a football stadium or set foot inside a pub or restaurant again for the foreseeable future.

1 minute ago, maxjam said:

I have parents, my kids therefore have grandparents.  We see them every week - standing approx 5-10m apart on the drive.  Will that change until there is a vaccine?  They are relatively fit, active and healthy 70+ years olds but I guess not, which will be a crying shame if a vaccine is multiple years away.

It breaks my heart that I cannot hug my grandchildren.

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It breaks my heart that I cannot hug my grandchildren.

My parents feel exactly the same.  They have 2 other younger grandchildren as well, including a 8yo girl with autism that used to spend a lot of time with them that doesn't really understand ?

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I would feel hugely assured and an awful lot safer if everyone was made to wear a mask by law when outside at all times, not just when they are walking from pub door to table.

It is already being advocated, at least in the press, that those who are 'extremely vulnerable' will be placed under lockdown again until next May.

I don't think that I will ever visit a football stadium or set foot inside a pub or restaurant again for the foreseeable future.

I've not been keeping up with things tbh cos they change so much, but I'd happily back a compulsory mask law.  As for not going to pubs, restaurants etc again regardless of what everyone else does it seems like you'll only feel safe doing that again if your vaccinated.  Here's hoping its sooner rather than later ?

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What is the point in wearing a mask outside? More than enough space to socially distance, the virus doesn't really spread outside anyway. 

3 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I've not been keeping up with things tbh cos they change so much, but I'd happily back a compulsory mask law.  As for not going to pubs, restaurants etc again regardless of what everyone else does it seems like you'll only feel safe doing that again if your vaccinated.  Here's hoping its sooner rather than later ?

At the moment, it's more the rowdy, utterly stupid scenes at chucking-out time that make me wish to socially distance myself from the dim-witted.

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

What is the point in wearing a mask outside? More than enough space to socially distance, the virus doesn't really spread outside anyway. 

Whilst what you say is largely true under most circumstances, there are going to be occasions when you are forced into closer proximity than you would otherwise - for instance, football stadia (assuming they are eventually opened up again). Let's assume that PPS is opened again one day, under (say) 1/4 capacity. That's 8,000 people all arriving in the area around the ground within a few minutes of each other, and an awful lot of those will have been on the falling-over water.

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Whilst what you say is largely true under most circumstances, there are going to be occasions when you are forced into closer proximity than you would otherwise - for instance, football stadia (assuming they are eventually opened up again). Let's assume that PPS is opened again one day, under (say) 1/4 capacity. That's 8,000 people all arriving in the area around the ground within a few minutes of each other, and an awful lot of those will have been on the falling-over water.

In the case of football stadiums, yeah that's reasonable. 

But in the vast majority of cases, masks outdoors should not be a thing. 

7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

In the case of football stadiums, yeah that's reasonable. 

But in the vast majority of cases, masks outdoors should not be a thing. 

personally speaking in Andalucia it is the done thing to wear masks at all times outside.  People do it and it builds a continuity, people don't forget to do it.  You don't get people standing in the shop door trying to find one or leaving a shop desperately ripping it from their faces.  I am not arguing that it does anything to directly stop the spread it just helps a bit, "wear a mask why wouldn't you"

8 minutes ago, Spanish said:

personally speaking in Andalucia it is the done thing to wear masks at all times outside.  People do it and it builds a continuity, people don't forget to do it.  You don't get people standing in the shop door trying to find one or leaving a shop desperately ripping it from their faces.  I am not arguing that it does anything to directly stop the spread it just helps a bit, "wear a mask why wouldn't you"

I don't like wearing them. I wear them inside where there is greater risk of spreading, but outside there is no way I'd choose to wear one. It's not enforceable, and it's pointless and unnatural. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I don't like wearing them. I wear them inside where there is greater risk of spreading, but outside there is no way I'd choose to wear one. It's not enforceable, and it's pointless and unnatural. 

so is wearing underpants

13 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Where in Andalusia do you live? Did a trip about 15 years ago where we visited Seville, Cordoba and Granada, driving inbetween them. Loved all of them. Went end of May and the weather was glorious. I wouldn't say I'm exactly into flowers, but they were everywhere and incredible.

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Where in Andalusia do you live? Did a trip about 15 years ago where we visited Seville, Cordoba and Granada, driving inbetween them. Loved all of them. Went end of May and the weather was glorious. I wouldn't say I'm exactly into flowers, but they were everywhere and incredible.

close to Gib, love everything about the place.  Spent 6 years down here in the 90's and been back 9 years this time around.  Left UK 40 years ago.  The bits away from the coast are amazing and when you don't come from here it is a shock to se what it looks like out of season.  I can get to those 3 cities in 2 hours and I have places like Jerez and Cadiz within an hour.  Just magical cities

7 minutes ago, Spanish said:

close to Gib, love everything about the place.  Spent 6 years down here in the 90's and been back 9 years this time around.  Left UK 40 years ago.  The bits away from the coast are amazing and when you don't come from here it is a shock to se what it looks like out of season.  I can get to those 3 cities in 2 hours and I have places like Jerez and Cadiz within an hour.  Just magical cities

Really want to go to Cadiz and not thought about going to Jerez. Wanna go back to Seville again too as it was my favourite of the 3.

Also want to go Madrid and Toledo too though, and the Basque region.  So many places to visit!

Archived