11 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

The government probably were well aware that Eid was imminent and knee jerked this response at the last minute.

Smacks again of lack of planning and foresight.

Given the places that were affected and the evidence we have seen locally, the action was very well timed. Social distancing has been 'an issue' for quite some time up here.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All good, folks.  Back working (from home) today; I've spent the past 4-5 days sleeping for 20 or so hours a day waiting for the fever to break 😄    Bit mad it was so severe for me for

Quick word to say thanks to those who have posted and sent DMs during my brief absence. GF is now hopefully on the mend and assuming improvement is maintained should be out of the ICU tomorrow or the

The Mrs sent me panic buying last night. Wanted me to report back how empty the shelves were.  I got some funny looks in Sainsbury's while I was pushing hundreds of packs of pasta to one si

Posted Images

11 hours ago, WharfedaleRam said:

Given the places that were affected and the evidence we have seen locally, the action was very well timed. Social distancing has been 'an issue' for quite some time up here.

Was the announcement well timed? Some of the hotspots seem to have been around for a few days and yet they don’t announce the “soft” (it’s no where near a full lockdown that we saw previously but will still affect many) and yet they don’t announce the measures until a few hours before Eid (as I understand it).

Me and Mrs B have been shielding and in full lockdown since Mid March. We had a letter 'suggesting' that we 'might want to consider' coming out of lockdown.

I am 70 in a fortnight and suddenly go into a higher risk category.

I do not feel any more, or less, at risk but have no intention of running amok and risking Covid 19.

I'm staying put thanks very much and have just bought more facemasks and even a couple of faceshields.

Others may be prepared to risk it but not me baby! Uh oh, no way José!

19 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Has anyone had a Covid test and received the results by SMS/Email?

I had my test at 12:30 yesterday and it's meant to come within 48 hours, but not clear if that is a 24/7 service. If not then I might as well stop checking my phone!

Had it done in France. The lady said it is very unpleasant and she was right. I was expecting swab on tonsils and up the nostrils instead it is up both nostrils very deep with some sorts of bendy mini brush which felt like she was checking for piles as well. Brought  tears to my eyes. Negative result was produced in under 12 hours.

38 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Had it done in France. The lady said it is very unpleasant and she was right. I was expecting swab on tonsils and up the nostrils instead it is up both nostrils very deep with some sorts of bendy mini brush which felt like she was checking for piles as well. Brought  tears to my eyes. Negative result was produced in under 12 hours.

never heard they went up the end, sure you went to the right place

55 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

The throat bit was the worst for me. She said "you might feel like you want to gag, so go with it - it makes it easier for me to see your tonsils"

Anyway - here I am now 52 hours since the test and heard nowt.

Rang the helpline and on the 4th time of trying I actually got all the way through the hundreds of options without being disconnected

Apparently they are suffering "delays" and they can't escalate until 72 hours have passed, so I have to try again tomorrow

At least I now have first-hand experience of what an utter mess this country has made of handling the testing 

20 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Has anyone had a Covid test and received the results by SMS/Email?

I had my test at 12:30 yesterday and it's meant to come within 48 hours, but not clear if that is a 24/7 service. If not then I might as well stop checking my phone!

Yes I had mine done about 2 months ago after one of my work colleagues tested positive.

Particularly unpleasant experience having to shove swabs down your throat and up your nose as other posters have already pointed out whilst sitting in a carpark in full view of other people.

My result came back (negative) after 48 hours but that was when I went in on a Monday morning, I think they do round the clock analysing. Fingers crossed. 

46 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

She went through the nostrils and it felt deep, very deep!

My mate had that done and the end came off and he needed an operation to extract the bud.  The negative result was not much comfort

Edited by Spanish
4 minutes ago, sage said:

I think they are going to have to have a lockdown of some sort for all families with schoolkids and school staff for a week before schools reopen. 

Otherwise there will be a massive spike  

Surely the easiest solution would be to fit all school gyms and assembly halls out with temporary beds, and turn all schools into boarding schools?

Billet the teachers into tents pitched in the grounds, and review the situation come October half term.

October 2022 preferably.

Having made my first visit to a pub a couple of weeks ago, which was great, felt safe, was well away from others, yesterday on a bike ride we decided to call in a coffe shop....

No problem with how they had it set up, plenty, of out door seating, one way through the shop to order, all the stuff you would expect them to do it was good, but its just other people, customers I mean.

Queueing outside while waiting to be seated, signs saying stay 2 meters apart, fine, im doing that, standing well back from the family in front, then a couple wander down, and come and stand right in front of me so they can read the bloody menu, they do eventually move to queue but stand right behind us....

I feel stupid for just feeling it, but it just put me on edge through the whole experience, i know we cant expect to always be 2 meters but why would you do that deliberately? Is it that people just dont think, or is it they dont really care?

Firstly, I’d like to say thank you (not) to all who have shared how unpleasant the test is. I have an operation coming up and have been told I need the test three days before. Something to look forward to.

Secondly, anyone complaining about face coverings, not being able to go to the football or the limited reversal of easing of measures in some places, check out what is happening in Victoria, Australia. Night time curfews, exercise etc. limited to a certain distance from your home, road blocks and entire tower blocks essentially locked with the residents still in them.

Far more draconian than we’re seeing (at the moment) but no doubt a lot more effective. It really does emphasise how wearing a face covering is really just an uncomfortable inconvenience (unless you have some kind of medical condition of course).

Had to move seats 3 times on the bus because people kept sitting on the seat directly Infront of me (one woman did it twice). I was trying to ensure that there was an empty row of seats between people. Gave up after the 3rd attempt when yet another person chose the seat Infront of me instead if the 4 or 5 others available.

Perhaps we all should follow the Paul Scholes approach to dealing with Coronavirus...

1. Local Lockdown imposed banning gatherings?....I'll organise a huge party for my sons 21st and invite lots of folk round.

2. All but essential travel to portugal banned? I'll go on holiday there anyway.

3. Self Isolate on return from Portugal? Nah, see number 1.

What a dick.

17 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Had to move seats 3 times on the bus because people kept sitting on the seat directly Infront of me (one woman did it twice). I was trying to ensure that there was an empty row of seats between people. Gave up after the 3rd attempt when yet another person chose the seat Infront of me instead if the 4 or 5 others available.

i dunno, just seems large numbers of the population seem to think its gone away. If people continue to act with total disregard for others, and fail to follow the rules we are just going to end up with more lockdowns.