Coronavirus

1of4

4 hours ago, richinspain said:

So, what do we think is the most likely?

My niece is a nurse working on the Covid ward at the Royal. At the beginning of April she was sent home because she had a fever, cough and difficulty breathing. A week later she returned to work feeling a lot better. At no point was she tested.

On Tuesday she lost all sense of taste and smell and went to one of the drive through test centres. The result came back positive.

The possibilities that I can think of:

1. The first time she had some other virus.

2. The virus went dormant and has reactivated (a possibility I have heard mooted).

3. She's caught it again!

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, richinspain said:

My niece is a nurse working on the Covid ward at the Royal. At the beginning of April she was sent home because she had a fever, cough and difficulty breathing. A week later she returned to work feeling a lot better. At no point was she tested.

On Tuesday she lost all sense of taste and smell and went to one of the drive through test centres. The result came back positive.

2. The virus went dormant and has reactivated (a possibility I have heard mooted).

The classic....none of the above

he had it, she’s still got it, but it didn’t go dormant. Ridiculous not to test her the first time.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Cooking today - Thai Green Curry. May go for a walk tomorrow. We sat in the back garden sharing a 75 cl bottle of Westmalle Tripel, then I had a St Feuillien Saison while the boss had some Tesco own-brand cider.

I try to teach her some level of sophistication, but that muck she was drinking, even @DarkFruitsRam7 would think twice about throwing down his neck*

*Before deciding "What the hell, buttocks up"

Tesco own brand is too highbrow for pre drinks. Try Lidl's own.

5 hours ago, richinspain said:

Early April was still prime flu season so reckon that could have been a candidate for the first illness. Early April was pre testing for most people, I’m pretty sure the level of testing at that stage was saved for hospitalised patients which would unfortunately account for the absence of test. Viruses can lay dormant, cold sores are probably the most common example of that but would be shocked if this is the case with this virus. No confirmed evidence of opinion 3 being the case so would rule that out at this stage. Hope she’s back at work in a week and carrying on her brilliant work ??

The weather being so nice is killing us (maybe literally) but as I’ve said this is the  British Culture.

I also don’t bide with the scientists view of stay locked up. Sure that’ll drive the virus away but it’ll kill many more people many times over and destroy an economy which is already being destroyed. The scientists don’t care about anything else other than this virus and that frustrates me as well.

I think the opening up could have been done better - more facilities should have been open for instance. However I’m struggling to see how we could have done this any other way - I agree we need to start getting back to a degree of normality.

Hopefully being outside and most people are away from others and certainly not spending 15 mins with someone any transfer of this virus from those who are asymptomatic is minimal.

One question, if they think there are 8000 new cases a day and now everyone is permitted to a test with symptoms, does this mean 6000 are asymptomatic? I know I’ve made some real generalisations in there but is that how others see it?

To all those who believe they can just tootle off down to a popular beach for the day, carry on as normal, whilst claiming to abide by social distancing guidelines, and therefore not putting themselves, others, or our emergency/medical services at any more risk than if they stayed away, take a look at these pictures, and then forgive me for laughing at each and every one of you... as it really isn't funny!

_112567153_durdle.door.helicopter.police

_112566117_48b78f17-51bf-4e6a-9765-7bb64

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-52864454

As we are about to get into June, i would expect the media coverage balance to shift away from the C word back to the B word. It makes me wonder if the June deadline as well as the Dom rooster up has affected the decision to speed up easing the lock down restrictions and stop Boris from sacking Cunning Dom. On the latter it would be good to know if Dom would have kept his job if Brexit had been delivered back in October when Boris said he would do. Me thinks not.

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

To all those who believe they can just tootle off down to a popular beach for the day, carry on as normal, whilst claiming to abide by social distancing guidelines, and therefore not putting themselves, others, or our emergency/medical services at any more risk than if they stayed away, take a look at these pictures, and then forgive me for laughing at each and every one of you... as it really isn't funny!

_112567153_durdle.door.helicopter.police

_112566117_48b78f17-51bf-4e6a-9765-7bb64

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-52864454

It is moronic.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

It is moronic.

Just a bit of context. It does look a bit busy but, I think that photo is of people being evacuated (that’s why there is a big line of people) not folk arriving at the beach. Not a lot of social distancing mind.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Yes. I posted it last light, and I am delighted that I have now been given the choice to make my own decisions again, albeit once a day only.

I would actually like to know the reasoning behind this decision being taken now, when medical advice was that we were to continue sheltering until June 30. Why is it suddenly 'safer' now than it was 3 weeks ago? Is it likely that Cummings broke the lockdown irrevocably, and Johnson has taken this course of action now purely and simply as a deflection tactic to quell the anger of those of us who have been locked up completely, an awful lot of whom are traditional Tory voters? After all, the elderly are far more likely to vote Conservative than for any other party.

When Johnson said, just two (or was it 3 or 4) days ago, that we were to remain locked up when answering a question from a young lady frustrated at being perceived as somebody who was to be shut away, unheard and ignored, there was an outpouring of anger aimed in his direction from people in a similar situation. Unlike most who post on here, I am in that category, and so some of the websites I visit are for people who are old, have certain medical conditions etc. The rage was palpable. I myself was utterly furious, seeing an inevitable consequence in his words that there was to be no end to our lockdown.

But there is now. I had steeled myself, was hoping that I could make it until the end of June before I emerged, blinking into the sunlight, but Johnson seemed to be saying on Thursday (or was it Wednesday?) "Good news, everyone (not you and your kind, Eddie) - have a barbecue with a couple of mates, go shopping (as you were, Eddie), go for a walk, go to the park, get the old surfboard out (lock and bar your bloody door, Eddie, there is a scary virus out there and it's got your name on it)" - and I was angry, livid, spitting teeth at it all. I received a phone call and a text from the NHS on Friday urging me to remain sheltering in place. Then, suddenly, at 11:00 pm last night, everything changed without any warning.

Cummings effectively single-handedly broke the lockdown in England. People are now using it as an excuse (this was stated yesterday by various police forces, and they are hearing it more and more as an excuse for people's behaviour). There will, now, be an inevitable increase in the number of cases, brought about directly because the general relaxation is 'too much, too soon' (witness the crowded beaches, the illegal gatherings, the barbecues etc). I will not call it a 'second wave' because the 'first wave' is still with us. 

Deaths yesterday across Europe:
Spain 2
Italy 87
Germany 24
France 52
Turkey 28
Belgium 42
Sweden 84
Portugal 14
Ireland 6
Poland 13
Romania 13
Hungary 8
Netherlands 28

UK 324

Why now?

The only 2 reasons i can think of:

Europe use metric deaths and UK use imperial

UK voted to leave Europe so you should compare to US (conveniently)

2 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

The only 2 reasons i can think of:

Europe use metric deaths and UK use imperial

UK voted to leave Europe so you should compare to US (conveniently)

There is a third. The UK is an island and can’t easily escape the virus. I am taking a dinghy from Littlehampton to France, and then onto Spain by container transfer.

Archived