Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Just read about yet another test for CV19. Is it me or there seems to be many tests with varying methods and dgrees of accuracy?

Swab tests are not a good way of testing for a -ve outcome. It is easily possible to miss swab the virus especially after couple of days of contracting it.

It is only useful as a +ve in terms of accuracy. Blood test are much more accurate  or -ve.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Mick Brolly said:

Cases in Chaddesden should start dropping from today. 

0_WhatsApp-Image-2020-05-24-at-110717jpeg.jpg.dfadbd632251c9d2f48de2d04c600b1c.jpg

I passed them installing this, on my bike ride on Wednesday, so I know it's exact location.  I was born, bred, and spent the first 17.5 years of my life living just a few hundreds yards from this location.  Never, in my 57 years on Earth, has that location been classed as Chaddesden.  Breadsall to some, or Breadsall Estate to others (to differentiate from the far more plush Breadsall Village).  But never Chad.

(For those that know the area, it's where the shared footpath/cycle path meets the Old Mansfield Rd, on the bend before rising up towards Derwent Heights/Ex Derwent Hospital.  So 20m to the left, from the bottom of Scabby Rise, directly across the green from the row of houses on Skipton Green).

That's not a dig at the OP, of course, but the ill-informed press.
Even the earlier police statement appears to reference Breadsall.

Pedantic maybe, but if the local press are gonna print Bamfordian info, then I'll Bamfordise them right back!  Grrrrrrr!  

Edited by Mucker1884
Forgot to close the brackets! I'm so sorry!
Link to post
Share on other sites

The government are in a bit of a mess now.. Initially they played this down telling everyone that most would get mild symptoms, so as not to cause panic. Then they ramped up the rhetoric, focusing on the severe cases in order to scare everyone into adhering to lockdown. Now they need to scale that back in order for us to go back in stages.. Trouble is now, we have half the population petrified, 25% who don’t give a damn and 25% who are pushing the boundaries as much as is sensible.. 

I know one thing, I’m glad I am not having to make these decisions.  Listen to the science they say.. Only the science never agrees. No win for anyone in all this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I passed them installing this, on my bike ride on Wednesday, so I know it's exact location. 

 

17 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

(For those that know the area, it's where the shared footpath/cycle path meets the Old Mansfield Rd, on the bend before rising up towards Derwent Heights/Ex Derwent Hospital.  So 20m to the left, from the bottom of Scabby Rise, directly across the green from the row of houses on Skipton Green).

Could you tell us where you were at 1.43am on the morning of Sunday 24th May. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

never, in my 57 years on Earth, has that location been classed as Chaddesden.  Breadsall to some, or Breadsall Estate to others (to differentiate from the far more plush Breadsall Village).  But never Chad.

 

I lived in Chaddo for many years but left nearly 40 years ago. I seem to remember that there were two estates- Breadsall Priory and Breadsall Hill Top. Is that still the case or is my mind straying?

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

I lived in Chaddo for many years but left nearly 40 years ago. I seem to remember that there were two estates- Breadsall Priory and Breadsall Hill Top. Is that still the case or is my mind straying?

As far as I'm concerned, Breadsall Priory is and always was out the far side of Breadsall Village.  As per The Breadsall Priory Hotel & Golf Course.

Breadsall Hill Top, which I believe covered the few houses up by The Windmill pub, further up the Old Mansfield Rd (Main road towards Morley/Heanor).  (Well before Oakwood was conceived).  Arguably, that could also include St Andrews View/Darwin School, Henry Cavendish School, and Breadsall Hill Top Junior School.

Breadsall Estate from the old railway arches (long since demolished...Now Paddock pub) up Scarborough Rise to The Rocket pub, and all surrounding streets.

Back then, locals considered top end of Perth St as Breadsall (Estate).  Bottom end, towards Roe Farm Junior School/Sussex Circus would be classed as Chadd.  I couldn't define any definitive border lines though, if I'm honest.  👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

As one of those involved in SPI-B, the Government advisory group on behavioural science, I can say that in a few short minutes tonight, Boris Johnson has trashed all the advice we have given on how to build trust and secure adherence to the measures necessary to control COVID-19.

Stephen Reicher

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So how about something novel - genuine questions I’d like asking in the briefings:

1) Will they announce bubbles of people, possibly family to spend time with each other including the opportunity to have personal contact such as hugging? What alert level would we need to be in for this to occur?

2) what specific approaches will you take to save jobs in the future?

3) You said you are going to protect British Institutions? Who does this mean and how?

4) if the virus is still with us in September how do you plan to fully open schools and colleges?

5) What specific actions have you adopted or plan to adopt which have worked well in other countries?

6) Why were there only 70,000 tests conducted today? Is everyone requesting a test getting one within 24 hours?

Six questions of the top of my head that would be far more interesting than the waste of space we get from the media today.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, rammieib said:

So how about something novel - genuine questions I’d like asking in the briefings:

1) Will they announce bubbles of people, possibly family to spend time with each other including the opportunity to have personal contact such as hugging? What alert level would we need to be in for this to occur?

 

I'd suggest some are doing this already.  Do it in "The right way", and chances are plod won't even know about it, so little chance of being fined etc.  With luck, none of them may not need the help of our A&E depts... or worse!

My question would be, if they were to "give you permission" to do this, let's say, from tomorrow, would you then think it is suddenly safe to do so?

They won't give clearance for this until they are convinced it is safe... be it a vaccine in place, or the virus has disappeared.  Why would they?  Why should they?

We could, of course, make our own decisions, but I'd like to think we'd also take responsibility for our own actions, should things go tits up!
Or we could just continue to do what we can to keep ourselves and our loved ones safe and well. 

Just as many of us now have permission to go where we want, when we want (ish!).  Some of us are still not convinced it is actually safe to do so.  Some of us aren't actually ready for that, just yet.

I don't expect social distancing to be relaxed this side of Christmas.  Christmas 2021 wouldn't be too much of a surprise, I'd say!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Just as many of us now have permission to go where we want, when we want (ish!).  Some of us are still not convinced it is actually safe to do so.  Some of us aren't actually ready for that, just yet.

I don't expect social distancing to be relaxed this side of Christmas.  Christmas 2021 wouldn't be too much of a surprise, I'd say

I think there is some deliberate manipulation going on here. Playing up the scare factor whilst actually expecting people to gradually do their own interpretation of what is "safe" to do. Basically allowing the "rules" to decay naturally.

Brits only tolerate being told what to do for so long, then a rebelliousness creeps in. You saw it over the weekend.

But if you look at Europe many countries have relaxed the rules and so far the infection rate has stayed very low and continues to decline. Schools are back and no problems occurring, France has just 70 cases in over 40,000 Primary Schools, over 1000000 pupils. Why are we so frightened when the evidence is there to see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

I think there is some deliberate manipulation going on here. Playing up the scare factor whilst actually expecting people to gradually do their own interpretation of what is "safe" to do. Basically allowing the "rules" to decay naturally.

Brits only tolerate being told what to do for so long, then a rebelliousness creeps in. You saw it over the weekend.

But if you look at Europe many countries have relaxed the rules and so far the infection rate has stayed very low and continues to decline. Schools are back and no problems occurring, France has just 70 cases in over 40,000 Primary Schools, over 1000000 pupils. Why are we so frightened when the evidence is there to see.

profile:player-960x540

Germany is introducing a system whereby  lockdown can be reintroduced locally if cases exceed 50 a day. The only place that exceeds this limit at the moment is the city of Regensburg in Bavaria. The areas marked in orange currently have 25-50 cases a day, the white areas have zero..

Restaurnts are also open again until 9pm, but there are distancing rules and you have to give your name, address and telephone number. If somebody comes down with coronivirus, all of you will be traced and sent into quarantine for 14 days.

The rules are being relaxed for the time being, but they are most definitely not being abolished or allowed to decay. Fines still apply.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.