Coronavirus

1of4

14 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

The government didn’t ORDER everyone back to work. They said people should be encouraged to go back and start speaking to their employers. Otherwise, they would be ending the furlough scheme now instead of October.

Personally, I think a minority may view the the lockdown as over but not the majority. I’ve not seen any large parties or widespread groups of people standing too close together. When I go shopping or out for my daily walk, by and large (but not everyone) the people I may pass and I make a polite and genuine effort to pass each other at a safe distance. It’s OK the golf courses being busy (how many have you seen or been to by the way?) provided those playing are abiding by the social distancing regulations. I would have thought golf is one of the sports where it’s relatively easy to stay apart (especially the way I played!). I would concede there does seem to be a lot more traffic but it depends on where people are going and what they’re doing. 

So, I would say it’s been over relaxed by many but not necessarily anywhere near the majority (in my opinion).

Maybe folk in Tamworth area little more law abiding (I’m not sure we’re noted for being especially upstanding citizens).

No i've been to tamworth.

it was a bit chavvy. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Surely it depends on how they were behaving rather than your perspective. If they were abiding by the restrictions in terms of social distancing (when queuing for ice creams and sunbathing etc) and the people they were with (did it look like they were small family units?) then I think it’s a bit harsh to describe them as reckless, mindless and selfish.

There's a one in 400 chance that the person you are near to is infectious, then you need to be near them for 15 minutes to be worried (Official figures) and you need to be "vulnerable" to be really concerned. So as an individual your odds are pretty good. As a nation however the figures ramp up. Then you get the headline figures the government is fretting over.

There are so many mixed messages from the top, and a majority of families will not know of any victims so see the risk as miniscule and behave accordingly.

Derby is supposedly a hotspot (and NHS staff will confirm it) but amongst my friends and family, and their friends, we know of only one unfortunate victim. At the same time we know of several deaths from other things. 

So personal perspectives are radically different from the official view.

57 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

There's a one in 400 chance that the person you are near to is infectious, then you need to be near them for 15 minutes to be worried (Official figures) and you need to be "vulnerable" to be really concerned. So as an individual your odds are pretty good. As a nation however the figures ramp up. Then you get the headline figures the government is fretting over.

There are so many mixed messages from the top, and a majority of families will not know of any victims so see the risk as miniscule and behave accordingly.

Derby is supposedly a hotspot (and NHS staff will confirm it) but amongst my friends and family, and their friends, we know of only one unfortunate victim. At the same time we know of several deaths from other things. 

So personal perspectives are radically different from the official view.

Maybe so but to describe someone as reckless, mindless and selfish if they’re strictly following the lockdown restrictions is still very harsh.

Now you might regard the current relaxations as reckless and mindless but, that’s another debate and probably one that requires a bit more scientific and medical knowledge that I suspect we, combined, possess on this forum.

Sith Happens

sadly the coronavirus has had a severe impact in the business I work in. many of us were told this week that we are now at risk of redundancy and will be entering a consultation period shortly.

sad days.

So, what do we think is the most likely?

My niece is a nurse working on the Covid ward at the Royal. At the beginning of April she was sent home because she had a fever, cough and difficulty breathing. A week later she returned to work feeling a lot better. At no point was she tested.

On Tuesday she lost all sense of taste and smell and went to one of the drive through test centres. The result came back positive.

The possibilities that I can think of:

1. The first time she had some other virus.

2. The virus went dormant and has reactivated (a possibility I have heard mooted).

3. She's caught it again!

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, richinspain said:

My niece is a nurse working on the Covid ward at the Royal. At the beginning of April she was sent home because she had a fever, cough and difficulty breathing. A week later she returned to work feeling a lot better. At no point was she tested.

On Tuesday she lost all sense of taste and smell and went to one of the drive through test centres. The result came back positive.

2. The virus went dormant and has reactivated (a possibility I have heard mooted).

sorry to hear but for all of us let's hope she had something else before,  I hope she gets better soon 

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Maybe so but to describe someone as reckless, mindless and selfish if they’re strictly following the lockdown restrictions is still very harsh.

Now you might regard the current relaxations as reckless and mindless but, that’s another debate and probably one that requires a bit more scientific and medical knowledge that I suspect we, combined, possess on this forum.

I think you misread my intent, I was merely showing why individuals may feel relaxed about going out/near people. I have not described anyone as reckless.  I have no particular problem with a bit of rules relaxation. Being retired I don't have to sit in an office, ride a tube etc. If I get a bit near my Grandkids for a few seconds, well I'll risk that.  MY choice! 

But if I apply the 1 in 400 and 15 minute figure to Pride Park the picture is not so comfortable: Say 28000 attend. Thats 70 infected people per game and around 30 people sat within 2 meters for nearly 2 hours. For the next match you could have 2000 infected people! Not a risk I'll take. 

6 hours ago, Chester40 said:

I went to the beach yesterday. Saw very little resistance. Families, young people, old people...sunbathing, queuing for ice-cream, strolling the promenade. Very difficult to discern any difference to any other sunny weekend of any other year. 

Depending on your perspective it was reckless, mindless, selfish and incredibly risky...or refreshing to see honest, law-abiding citizens who have been forcibly hibernating taking the opportunity to get back to some kind of normality. 

????? getting folks back to work is where there’s resistance though

Sith Happens
9 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

We have noticed ? you may be a cantankerous old git  but you're our cantankerous old git.

wonder how Eddie is getting on at the park?  I heard reports of some young uns not social distancing getting some strong words from some grumpy old fella earlier 

tenor.gif.8411a4cfe03b2b5e3766199f85b5dc1b.gif

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

wonder how Eddie is getting on at the park?  I heard reports of some young uns not social distancing getting some strong words from some grumpy old fella earlier 

That’s a library image. Eddie has lost weight and is lot less hairy these days.

2 hours ago, richinspain said:

4. If she had been tested the first time around she probably would have tested positive. Does seem a long time though.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

sadly the coronavirus has had a severe impact in the business I work in. many of us were told this week that we are now at risk of redundancy and will be entering a consultation period shortly.

sad days.

Sorry to hear that fella. I am struggling to keep us going but it’s hard. I need my customers back and spending but sadly they are delaying events till at least 2021 and scrubbing 2020 completely. We won’t be able to hang on that long sadly, so I fear I am delaying the inevitable. 
I love my lot dearly and they have always been there for me. Feeling pretty helpless at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Sorry to hear that fella. I am struggling to keep us going but it’s hard. I need my customers back and spending but sadly they are delaying events till at least 2021 and scrubbing 2020 completely. We won’t be able to hang on that long sadly, so I fear I am delaying the inevitable. 
I love my lot dearly and they have always been there for me. Feeling pretty helpless at the moment. 

Horrible mate ,feel for you.

Sith Happens
12 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Must be hard having that responsibility for others. At least I can focus on my own situation without the worry about other people too.

Hope somehow it picks up for you.

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

Which would make the second option the most likely?

But isn't scenario 1 more likely? I'm not sure I've seen reports of any cases where symptoms have taken nearly two months to materialise. 

Either way, I hope she recovers quickly. 

3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Cooking today - Thai Green Curry. May go for a walk tomorrow. We sat in the back garden sharing a 75 cl bottle of Westmalle Tripel, then I had a St Feuillien Saison while the boss had some Tesco own-brand cider.

I try to teach her some level of sophistication, but that muck she was drinking, even @DarkFruitsRam7 would think twice about throwing down his neck*

*Before deciding "What the hell, buttocks up"

Archived