Coronavirus

1of4

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

The medics seem to be saying that to get a decent benefit from track and trace you need to be able to get test results in 48 hours, as the first 3 days are crucial. So the labs have got to up their game if its currently taking 5 days to get en e-alert out.

Unless they ARE getting results in 48 hours but acting 1st on the positive ones.......but if you could know sooner, you'd like to I think?

Well my test was part of a statistics survey prior to track and trace but your point is valid.

Saw some figures that a majority of infected people show no symptoms so do not test and therefore their contacts are not traced.

Vital question: If a non sympton person infects someone are they also going to be no symptomatic, if so no big deal. If not then T&T is not going to work 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, alexxxxx said:

Looks like the UK is firmly in the top 2 (Spain being top) for the worst impacted by coronavirus if you look at the excess death figures.

I think it's still too early to compare but I suspect we're not going to come out of it too well.

If that's the case then, there seems to me to be four scenarios/things to consider:

1) The medical/scientific advice our government received wasn't good enough

2) The advice was good but either ignored or not implemented well by the government

3) There are genuine mitigating circumstances. i.e. not just feeble excuses. For example, Italy could probably be expected to come out worse out of the European nations because of their more elderly population and because it hit them first

4) This one is very controversial. Some people have talked about the effects on the economy (including knock on health and well-being) being far more damaging. Maybe our economy will come out the crisis stronger than others (don't shoot me, I'm only sharing a view aired)

If it's 1 or 2 then I feel some people need to be made accountable. 3 feels very unlikely (however hare the politicians may try) and, as I say, 4 is very controversial, of no consolation to those that have lost loved ones and probably very difficult to measure the true knock on effect.

There is a fifth and that is that the UK population has been poorer at complying with lock down restrictions. Despite the number of cases reported, including the high profile ones, I suspect that we have been no worse or better than anyone else.

31 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Well my test was part of a statistics survey prior to track and trace but your point is valid.

Saw some figures that a majority of infected people show no symptoms so do not test and therefore their contacts are not traced.

Vital question: If a non sympton person infects someone are they also going to be no symptomatic, if so no big deal. If not then T&T is not going to work 

I would guess that whether you show symptoms is linked to how susceptible you how rather than the virus being a different strain if it comes form an asymptomatic source

On 28/05/2020 at 14:46, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Got my test coming in the post in the next 48 hours on orders of my GP. My taste and smell have vanished again after coming back briefly. I am now being told to stay indoors until I have had my results, which is a shame because Durham looks bloody lovely at this time of year.

Haha!

Hope you're on the mend soon buddy ?

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I think it's still too early to compare but I suspect we're not going to come out of it too well.

If that's the case then, there seems to me to be four scenarios/things to consider:

1) The medical/scientific advice our government received wasn't good enough

2) The advice was good but either ignored or not implemented well by the government

3) There are genuine mitigating circumstances. i.e. not just feeble excuses. For example, Italy could probably be expected to come out worse out of the European nations because of their more elderly population and because it hit them first

4) This one is very controversial. Some people have talked about the effects on the economy (including knock on health and well-being) being far more damaging. Maybe our economy will come out the crisis stronger than others (don't shoot me, I'm only sharing a view aired)

If it's 1 or 2 then I feel some people need to be made accountable. 3 feels very unlikely (however hare the politicians may try) and, as I say, 4 is very controversial, of no consolation to those that have lost loved ones and probably very difficult to measure the true knock on effect.

There is a fifth and that is that the UK population has been poorer at complying with lock down restrictions. Despite the number of cases reported, including the high profile ones, I suspect that we have been no worse or better than anyone else.

We are fat, old, multi cultural and densely populated. We don’t follow rules and we love a good BBQ as soon as it hits 18 degrees.

I mean Jesus Christ could have led us through this and we’d be in the same position (IMO).

12 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

From what I’ve seen and heard at work today,if the government think that people aren’t going to have BBQ’s and party’s with people round they need to get a grip on reality.

A lot aren’t going to wait till Monday.

My mum's already been on the phone asking whether we're round Sat or Sun?

39 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

From what I’ve seen and heard at work today,if the government think that people aren’t going to have BBQ’s and party’s with people round they need to get a grip on reality.

I think Cummings has smashed the lockdown single handedly, its over, people will decide to do what they want to do now.

6 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I think Cummings has smashed the lockdown single handedly, its over, people will decide to do what they want to do now.

I've just read Grace Dent urging him to take one for the nation and head to a pub garden this Weekend!

1 hour ago, Van Cone De Head said:

They know that - releasing that info yesterday shows the government are being pro active and making attempts but by delaying it until Monday, they know only half the population will have a BBQ with friends this weekend!

1 hour ago, Van Cone De Head said:

I cannot decide whether they are so dumb to think that people would wait over what will be a lovely sunny weekend until Monday.

Or it's a deliberate ploy to say well we gave you the guidelines but you ignored them!

32 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I cannot decide whether they are so dumb to think that people would wait over what will be a lovely sunny weekend until Monday.

Or it's a deliberate ploy to say well we gave you the guidelines but you ignored them!

We just need to act responsibly and with integrity............................................. in other words do what we want when we want?

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

Couldn't sleep last night - having serious doubts sorting out in my own mind whether or not what I'm considering doing is the right thing to do. Feel totally helpless and somewhere between 'forgotten' and 'completely ignored'.

Perhaps this discussion ought to be in the 'mental health' thread.

Chances are you will be a receiver rather than a giver so you won’t be passing anything on. I don’t know if that helps.

Just now, 1967Ram said:

We just need to act responsibly and with integrity............................................. in other words do what we want when we want?

What difference would it make to have changed the lockdown on Friday evening rather than Monday morning? The way they've been doing things they can't say 'oh well, it will make this difference'... 

27 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Or we should just be told to 'stay home' it appears!

We're going to end up as the only European country with a second wave anywhere near approaching as bad as the first wave, aren't we?

Too late to lock down, fewer control measures than elsewhere, a longer curve, a higher risk of damage to the economy forcing an easing of lockdown both weeks later than others and yet far earlier than we should really be considering given our infection rate.

..or I could just be a little drunk and fearing the worst.

Archived