1of4

Coronavirus

2 hours ago, Norman said:

So we are down to families with kids all aged under 12, who are unable to look after themselves. 

Kids aged 4, 5 and 6, with those aged 9/10 also not included. 

That would make hundreds of thousands able to go back. 

That would make a huge difference. Not only to spending in the economy, but the stability of markets, the amount claiming the furlough scheme, house prices, value of the pound, spending available for services..... You could go on. 

Our economy is about to be ruined. Cuts far deeper than ever before. Job losses on a scale not seen for a long time, wage compression, house price crash, bankruptcy, austerity leading to cuts in services, healthcare, the NHS, the public sector.... 

I can't believe people don't think it's a risk worth taking. If you're not fat diabetic and old, it really isn't coming to kill you. I read you have more chance of dieing in a car crash. If you are those things, don't send your kids to school. 

I'm not sure I agree with the hundreds of thousands of able to go back to work.

If we take a million children who are in reception, year 1 and year 6.

Then how many of them have siblings who are in different school years and need looking after. I think a very generous maximum of 500k?

Then how many of that 500k currently have both parents currently unable to return to a place of work because of childcare? 

With so many business either working at home or having to have shut down, this 500k would again reduce massively. Being very generous again, we could say that leave 250k adults available to return to work.

Many of these 250k will hopefully have been furloughed so aren't losing much money themselves. And many of the businesses they are unable to return to will be already operating to some extent, unless they are staffed mostly by parents and/or old people.

It seems unlikely that schools partially opening for up to 7 weeks is going to start some great economic recovery. It seems more likely that we increase the risk of a quick 2nd wave, which puts the reopening of the country back a few months.

3 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Well my mum works in a school and she is not overly happy being force back and I think schools should remain shut till september and most parents are not sending kids back anyways.

B4 - you’ve said on here that they should allow fans into football grounds because they will turn up anyway but don’t believe schools should open in the short term?

Im confused which side of this thing you sit on?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, rammieib said:

B4 - you’ve said on here that they should allow fans into football grounds because they will turn up anyway but don’t believe schools should open in the short term?

Im confused which side of this thing you sit on?

Well side sitting on is people saying going out good for people mentle health well seeing my team is good for mine but I think others feel the same. But on the other hand people scared of this virus is not. I know people saying sending kids back. What about if a child is carer for mum or dad what if they get ill what happens to them.

Edited by B4ev6is

8 minutes ago, rammieib said:

A lot of people keep talking about a second wave but no country has yet had a second wave???

I guess the countries that had a go at controlling the first wave haven't had time to experience a second wave yet. Even then the measures in place may prevent one.

52 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well side sitting on is people saying going out good for people mentle health well seeing my team is good for mine but I think others feel the same. But on the other hand people scared of this virus is not. I know people saying sending kids back. What about if a child is carer for mum or dad what if they get ill what happens to them.

I don’t think there will be any Primary School children who are carers B4.

We have to identify the smallest risks in society and open them up again. The scientists need to identify those small risk areas and we need to open up.

54 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

I guess the countries that had a go at controlling the first wave haven't had time to experience a second wave yet. Even then the measures in place may prevent one.

I think 80-90% of people will continue to practice good social distancing until the vaccine is in place. This is entirely why I don’t think we will get a second wave.

37 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Expected towards the end of the year when it gets cold

Haha - lets hope Furlough is in place until summer 21 then lol.

9 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I think 80-90% of people will continue to practice good social distancing until the vaccine is in place. This is entirely why I don’t think we will get a second wave.

Depends on what you mean by "good social distancing". No one yet knows when, or indeed if, a vaccine will actually be found. With a brother in law working on one of the projects to find a vaccine and a daughter who is a pharmacologist who, until recently worked for Astra Zeneca, I still think it will be remarkable if we have a widely available and effective vaccine before late winter/early spring. 

3 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I'm not sure I agree with the hundreds of thousands of able to go back to work.

If we take a million children who are in reception, year 1 and year 6.

Then how many of them have siblings who are in different school years and need looking after. I think a very generous maximum of 500k?

Then how many of that 500k currently have both parents currently unable to return to a place of work because of childcare? 

With so many business either working at home or having to have shut down, this 500k would again reduce massively. Being very generous again, we could say that leave 250k adults available to return to work.

Many of these 250k will hopefully have been furloughed so aren't losing much money themselves. And many of the businesses they are unable to return to will be already operating to some extent, unless they are staffed mostly by parents and/or old people.

It seems unlikely that schools partially opening for up to 7 weeks is going to start some great economic recovery. It seems more likely that we increase the risk of a quick 2nd wave, which puts the reopening of the country back a few months.

Its more about a state of mind. 

People with no little reason cowering in their homes, wishing their lives away til Sept and instilling fear in children's minds where its not necessary. 

Weeks locked down is inhibiting people's thought processes and making them fear their own shadows (inside? ...err, whatever). 

Thoroughly bored now. 

5 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Well my mum works in a school and she is not overly happy being force back and I think schools should remain shut till september and most parents are not sending kids back anyways.

Yea you said the other day your mum was loving it as she's slowed right down. Not wonder she's not happy about going back to work. A lot wouldn't be. Coyr

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

People with no little reason cowering in their homes, wishing their lives away til Sept and instilling fear in children's minds where its not necessary. 

Weeks locked down is inhibiting people's thought processes and making them fear their own shadows (inside? ...err, whatever). 

Thoroughly bored now. 

Tell that to the virus.

4 hours ago, rammieib said:

A lot of people keep talking about a second wave but no country has yet had a second wave???

They could with a second wave at Perranporth in Cornwall to wash out the dunes. That many people have been taking a poo in them over the week they may have to close the beach temporarily to clean it up as it's a health hazard.  Good knows how many have been crapping in the sea.

3 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Thoroughly bored now. 

The sacrifice that you are making isn't just for your benefit - it's for other people's. I would be utterly horrified if my carelessness and thoughtlessness caused somebody else to become ill or worse.

4 hours ago, rammieib said:

I don’t think there will be any Primary School children who are carers B4.

We have to identify the smallest risks in society and open them up again. The scientists need to identify those small risk areas and we need to open up.

Probley more than you think there is mate some are age 8 years old right upto 15 to 16 years old.