Coronavirus

1of4

5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Oh come on. Chester is not suggesting the ill and dying go out to work. The fit and healthy in the low risk category need to start returning over the coming weeks if the R rate stays below 1 and hospital admissions are falling away. In particular teachers have a huge part to play.

Teachers have always had a huge part to play in society, despite the constant abuse and denigration that we get. They will step up again. 

However, as you say if the R rate stays low and if hospital admissions fall away. We need to be sure that our return to work does not adversely affect these key markers. At the moment I cannot see that the current planning process is sufficient enough to ensure that these values do not increase.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thread seems to be taking a strange turn. Seems to me that our personal safety and that of our families, is a consideration for us as individuals. It is not for us to dictate to others what they should or should not do nor is it very helpful to mock their fears, especially when medical professionals share their concerns.

I can understand folk being annoyed by those who flout social distancing directives, as their actions can seriously endanger others, but it's harder to understand why folk think it's OK to tell others what risks they should be prepared to take. It's a personal choice and nobody else's business.

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wasn’t the number of deaths above the 5 year average during November and December, returning to just below the average in January and Feb, before increasing in March and spiking in April?

I will have to look back but for it to be a spike we would be taking thousands of extra deaths per week.

For the deaths be in November and December we would be talking about the virus being here in October?

4 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Anybody else surprised that of our list of key workers it is teachers who are most reluctant to do their bit.

helmet GIF

Which teachers are these? The ones who have never stopped going into school, the ones performing daily welfare checks on vulnerable children, the ones delivering food parcels to the poorest in society, the ones making PPE in their classrooms for NHS workers or the ones planning for the safe return of thousands of children against medical advice? 

I find the rhetoric and vitriol aimed at teachers across our society quite astonishing at times when everyone seems more than happy to let them look after their children. 

Perhaps people concerned about the safety of themselves, their families and their pupils shouldn’t be criticised for it. Just a thought. 

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

The evidence  that if you are even very relatively fit, young and healthy that you will be fine... far far far outweighs any evidence that you are taking your live in your hands??  Show me that isnt true and I would reconsider. 

Maybe you would see it differently eg if you weren't picking up a full wage and were self employed and losing hard won contracts or watching your restaurant/shop /bar go down the toilet and have no clue how to get your life even semi back on track ..then the teeny tiny bit of risk would seem worthwhile ? 

Are you reading the stories from New York about the 50 or so kids who have gone down with a similar condition to Kawasaki disease (3 have died)  with more happening in Italy and the UK and France having its first death from it yesterday.

According to The Lancet that is a 30-fold increase leading scientists to think it's connected to the coronavirus. 

The worrying part of this is that it seems to be hitting the kids as the death count from Covid start to decline (for the most part). 

In other words it's behind the curve, so who knows what we'll see in a couple of months.

Hopefully nothing, but if I were in a position of power now I'd be listening to the scientists, not going on my gut instinct.

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Thread seems to be taking a strange turn. Seems to me that our personal safety and that of our families, is a consideration for us as individuals. It is not for us to dictate to others what they should or should not do nor is it very helpful to mock their fears, especially when medical professionals share their concerns.

I can understand folk being annoyed by those who flout social distancing directives, as their actions can seriously endanger others, but it's harder to understand why folk think it's OK to tell others what risks they should be prepared to take. It's a personal choice and nobody else's business.

Fair points.

It is everyone's personal choice...and nobody else's business, agreed. 

But literally millions of people are already going into work for all manner of reasons...again their personal choice. 

For my part, (without any medical training) I would argue claiming it is horrendously dangerous is well over the top looking at any statistics I have seen. And it is also much easier to say you won't when you are still getting fully paid and have a safe job waiting to return to. 

Anyway, pointless debating it further. As you say, we are all entitled to our own views. 

6 hours ago, zaragozaram said:

I love my job as a teacher and cannot wait to get back in the classroom.

But am I prepared to die for it?

Regardless of the Covid 19 outbreak you show me a workplace that's 100% free of any risk and I'll show you unicorn excrement.

We all should stay at home then.

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Fair points.

It is everyone's personal choice...and nobody else's business, agreed. 

But literally millions of people are already going into work for all manner of reasons...again their personal choice. 

For my part, (without any medical training) I would argue claiming it is horrendously dangerous is well over the top looking at any statistics I have seen. And it is also much easier to say you won't when you are still getting fully paid and have a safe job waiting to return to. 

Anyway, pointless debating it further. As you say, we are all entitled to our own views. 

It's not personal choice though, all employees have the right to stay away from work without prejudice if they believe their safety and well-being is being compromised by their employer and until measures are put in place to combat such alleged breaches. 

4 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Which teachers are these? The ones who have never stopped going into school, the ones performing daily welfare checks on vulnerable children, the ones delivering food parcels to the poorest in society, the ones making PPE in their classrooms for NHS workers or the ones planning for the safe return of thousands of children against medical advice? 

I find the rhetoric and vitriol aimed at teachers across our society quite astonishing at times when everyone seems more than happy to let them look after their children. 

Perhaps people concerned about the safety of themselves, their families and their pupils shouldn’t be criticised for it. Just a thought. 

It's when there are comments on Twitter saying that I'm not going back to work until the workplace is 100% safe that is doing teachers a disservice or I'm not compromising my safety so tough. There have been people who have worked all the way through the Covid 19 outbreak and unfortunate comments like this just convey the message that they believe their life is more valuable than someone else's. 

17 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Regardless of the Covid 19 outbreak you show me a workplace that's 100% free of any risk and I'll show you unicorn excrement.

We all should stay at home then.

Who is insisting that their workplace be '100% free of risk'?

4 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

There is a killing virus I think beem her since whole 2019 I do think goverment known the whole time.

The numbers do not indicate such a thing. The number of deaths week on week have been increasing since the last week of March 2020. They have started to decline a little since the last week of April 2020, but they are still almost 100% higher than a 'normal' week at this time of the year. There is no evidence of an increase in deaths beyond normal variance before that perion

18 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

See my previous post

First I've heard of it but then I don't pay a great deal of attention to Twatter in any case, nor do I assume that anything I do see there is a consensus of any kind.

The fact is that there will be factions across all sectors of the workplace who are uneasy about returning to work. This is not something that will be unique to teachers, many of whom have been working throughout the pandemic in any case.

It's also a stretch to assume that those who choose not to return are doing so because they assess their lives as being or more value than the lives of others, rather than them simply fearing for their safety and that of their families, not to mention the kids themselves.

16 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

It's when there are comments on Twitter saying that I'm not going back to work until the workplace is 100% safe that is doing teachers a disservice or I'm not compromising my safety so tough. There have been people who have worked all the way through the Covid 19 outbreak and unfortunate comments like this just convey the message that they believe their life is more valuable than someone else's. 

Ah so you are denigrating an entire profession based upon an individual’s comment on Twitter. I don’t really know where to begin. 

Also, schools haven’t closed at any point. Teachers have worked throughout the lockdown. Not sure whether the Daily Mail or Twitter has made this point clearly enough for everyone. 

8 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Ah so you are denigrating an entire profession based upon an individual’s comment on Twitter. I don’t really know where to begin. 

Also, schools haven’t closed at any point. Teachers have worked throughout the lockdown. Not sure whether the Daily Mail or Twitter has made this point clearly enough for everyone. 

I clearly didn't say that, if I refer to you my original post it states that comments made by teachers saying that they are not going to back to work until the workplace is 100% safe are unhelpful and are doing the teaching profession a disservice. 

As I don't read the Daily Mail then I can't comment on your reference 

23 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

But also think that someone say on here perhaps had once and think this is a 2nd wave.

Yes, they did say that - but there is no evidence of a 'first wave' earlier than the end of March.

Archived